Advice needed re downloading.

Oldynewby

Hi,

I'd like to download some payware aircraft but, never having done it, I'd like to ask a few questions first.

So, I've paid for my goods and received my download code. Can I store the files on a cd-rom as backup or can I reuse the code again? I'm a little concerned that if I lose the data I'll have to repurchase it.

They've probably sorted this out but I'd really like to know the details before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Keep any receipts with codes in a safe place. If you loose any payware products due to computer malfunctions like an HDD going bad, you can always re-download your products.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If you loose any payware products due to computer malfunctions like an HDD going bad, you can always re-download your products.

Not necessarily. If the company goes bust, or the website is down the week you want to reinstall, you would at best be inconvenienced. Some also charge a fee to re-download files too. Best to save and backup all downloads too, preferably to an external drive, or service like Dropbox, OneDrive or Sync.com.

Depending on where you bought it from the website should have allowed you so many downloads. And they may offer a CD disk backup sent in the mail. Or of course you could burn the data to CD, DVD, DVD/RW, Blu-ray, whatever as you like. Save yourself a few books, or save a headache and just purchase the CD delivery option. The download regardless should be available no matter what you chose.

As to the code and reinstallation. You'll most likely will only be allowed to install it to one computer at a time, but not always depending on how the software (a plane in this case) is crafted. If your computer goes South or something you can always pull out your backup and reinstall no problem.

I personally have a fireproof/waterproof safes rated for electronics where I store my media and external hard drives that contain the clones of my computers. I'm not interested in keeping anyone out, but preventing my stuff from burning up in case of fire. The lock can be jimmyed with a flat head screw driver. I encrypt my computer clones anyway so there's nothing to see.

I personally buy from this site's parent site http://www.fsPilotshop.com. I've been a happy satisfied customer and unlike another site, all my allotted downloads still show up if and when I ever need them. Most of my purchases I chose to have a CD mailed to me.

Pro tip: If you use any FSDreamTeam or FlightBeam airports it's best to buy it and then download from their respected website's as the download from FSPilotShop or others may be quite old and may not run. Just putting that out there now.

Hi,

I'd like to download some payware aircraft but, never having done it, I'd like to ask a few questions first.

So, I've paid for my goods and received my download code. Can I store the files on a cd-rom as backup or can I reuse the code again? I'm a little concerned that if I lose the data I'll have to repurchase it.

They've probably sorted this out but I'd really like to know the details before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Yes, you can store the basic download an a spare hard drive, even a CD or DVD, making sure to keep any licence details with that download. You can also save any email with the registration info in a folder marked FS Downloads so you don't lose it. Most (not all) payware give you a number of downloads off the same purchase before repurchase is needed. If you do the above then you avoid even needing that `fresh` download...

Archived