Delete unwanted aircraft and scenery from FSX?

flibby46

Hi

I'm not interested in flying most of the a/c included with FSX Steam, nor 'flying' in most of the locations. I'm endlessly annoyed by FSX opening with a Microlight and some American location as he default. So, I'd like to delete the relevant files BUT I'm wary because I know some of the a/c (and maybe scenery) files have other functions. For example I deleted the Microlight and FSX wouldn't run at all.

Can anyone advise what files are 'safe' to delete? Thanks in advance.

Hi flibby46,

True, as Jorgen states above. Rule number.1

Why not choose a destination airfield in an area more suitable, at a time of day, season, weather, with an aircraft you like better.

You can even take to the sky and press "p key" (pause) so that you save the flight paused, then start your new saved default flight in an airborne situation.

Save the scenario, and make it your default flight, then when opening FSX for the following flight/s from the "Free Flight screen" click the fly now button, when scene is loaded you can just click "p key" to continue flying to where ever.

Alternatively save the flight as default on the tarmac so that you can settle yourself behind the controls, check navs, maps, instruments, lights, and atc for the flight.

caveat: Changing your default flight (Trike - Friday Harbour) (system time) can adversely affect the sim time for expected season/date.

You will then be assured to never see the default Trike and Friday Harbor as your default flight.

Cheers Jethro

NEVER DELETE DEFAULT AIRCRAFT

To hide the aircraft from the selection menu...

1. Open up it's 'aircraft.cfg'

2. Find 'panel='

3. Change to 'panel=flibby46 HATES this aircraft'

4. Save 'aircraft.cfg'

5. Profit!

If need be can restore by removing 'flibby46 HATES this aircraft'

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

NEVER DELETE DEFAULT AIRCRAFT

To hide the aircraft from the selection menu...

1. Open up it's 'aircraft.cfg'

2. Find 'panel='

3. Change to 'panel=flibby46 HATES this aircraft'

4. Save 'aircraft.cfg'

5. Profit!

If need be can restore by removing 'flibby46 HATES this aircraft'

Lol!

Good advice, too!

Assuming that you have followed the instructions given by dogfish........

Did you include the end ' character - if so remove it.

Another more simpler way to achieve this is to simply add a 0 (the figure ZERO) after the = sign

i.e panel=0

dogdish may have a (bone) to pick with you! pun intended!;) Yeah, I know, the d and f keys are right next to each other!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

dogdish may have a (bone) to pick with you! pun intended!;) Yeah, I know, the d and f keys are right next to each other!

Since I dished it out with flibby46 in the first place (was just a fun joke), I can take it :) No problems with dongbreak754, oops! longbreak754

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

What do you do when there is an aircraft in the menu that isn't in the sim?

I have a B29 super fortress showing, I have been in every folder in case it was hidden inside another aircraft,I have searched my system and the only one I have is in X-Plane 11 and it can't be that one.

Not sure where else to look.

Col.

I have a B29 super fortress showing, I have been in every folder in case it was hidden inside another aircraft,I have searched my system and the only one I have is in X-Plane 11 and it can't be that one.

Col.

Multiple locations can support the aircraft files. These are ALL referenced in the FSX.cfg in the list of locations. Check there.

Col.

I have FSX installed on my D:\ drive, my AI (Ultimate Traffic Live) is installed in C:\Program Files. So Flight Simulator can access aircraft outside of the main FSX folder.

It sounds like you have a flyable AI aircraft in a remote location that must have a panel, otherwise it wouldn't show in the Aircraft Selection.

If you look in the [Main] section of the FSX.cfg you will find SimObjectPaths that will help you locate the B29.

If I click on it to use it I get a popup asking if I want to use a gauge, if I click yes I get another popup for another gauge, then the screen takes me to the sim with no aircraft.

If I click no on the popup the same thing happens, I have a program that does a thorough search and all it finds is the one in X-Plane 11, I did have this aircraft in FSX but deleted it a while ago.

Col.

Sorted! Shows my ignorance about military aircraft, when I was searching I was looking for B29 Super Fortress, I forgot I had a B50 Super Fortress, any way there was one entry I for to exclude the panel, all the rest were excluded, Duh!

Col.

Archived