ORBX upgrade to FSC

Before I switched to ORBX, a friend and I had it in FSX, and loved it. This was regions only, in FSX, simply because the global stuff wasn't available. We still love it in P3D, and have added global to P3D as well. It makes the world seem populated, instead of empty, since there are all kinds of small details, from traffic cones to dumpsters to static aircraft to detailed buildings and even animated people and, in some places, animated animals, too -- cows, horses, deer, dogs, birds, even orcas.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Has anyone installed ORBX to FSX, what are your thoughts on this upgrade. unable to edit title.

What ORBX? They have a range of products.

If you are talking about Global, it's a texture set that graphically enahnaces FSX substantially, but for the whole shooting match you want the Open LC and Vector addons.

For the Regions, it's an all-in-one product that transforms the `local` areas. Its textures, landclass, vector and mesh in the one package, and is, IMHO a must have if you are flying over areas you actually know from real-world flying.

ORBX also do airports.

Frankly ORBX is my "go to" scenery choice. Start out with "Global" then pick area scenery based where you generally fly, the airports you use, etc.

I usually use totally default aircraft because I'm more interested in complex scenery. I had to quit RW flying long before GPS, most of the fancy self flying aircraft, FMCS, etc. were even considered. So I'd rather spend my computer speed and memory on good looking scenery than crossing my arms and letting the plane fly itself.

However, BE AWARE!! To quote FTX: "FTX will bring even the most powerful PC to its' knees!!" In fact they have a whole section dedicated to where to put your Autogen Density Slider compared to how complex the scenery is and the speed of your processor. Not your graphics card, your number of processor cores, or your ram. YOUR BASIC SINGLE CORE PROCESSOR SPEED IS THE LYNCH PIN OF THE ENTIRE OPERATION!! Sorry when Microsoft designed FSX for Intel processors, they assumed processors would become hugely faster and didn't consider or plan for multiple cores.

In short. The more complex scenery you are using, the more problems the PC will have showing it! If you get some of the truly dense airports etc., you'd better be really careful or you'll not be able to even finish a basic flight! Don't be fooled by fancy enhanced (Photo Shopped) or frozen screen shots! YOU HAVE TO PICK YOUR BATTLES!! THERE IS NO TOTALLY WRONG OR TOTALLY RIGHT SETTINGS. BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO EXPERIMENT AND DISCOVER WHAT WORKS THE BEST FOR YOU!;)

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Start out with "Global" then pick area scenery based where you generally fly, the airports you use, etc.

I'd suggest one exception to that: If you're going to get a region (or two or three) and do pretty much all your flying within that region, then "global" won't do you a lot of good. But if a lot of your flying is outside of the ORBX region(s) you have, then by all means get the "global" stuff.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks to all for replies.

What I want to do is to fly Papua New Guinea short strip bush flying

I understand I need the following:

AYPY Jackson international airport

holdermesh Papua new guinea

Global.......? Does this upgrade affect all of my FSX World and other scenery i.e. UK Photographic?

ftx central v3

What do you think I need?

Hi there,

I know just the Orbx Papua New Guinea strips you're talking about, and they're fantastic - probably some of the most fun and challenging pure "flying" I've done in FSX.

ORBX has a huge range of products (and they're all absolutely top notch, I mean your sim will look COMPLETELY different), but because of this their site can be a bit confusing to navigate until you get the hang of it.

Here's what you need for those bush strips on the Kokoda track

1. ORBX Global Base. (Global vector is not needed, nor is it of much benefit for these strips, but does wonders to areas of the world with a lot of rivers and coastlines. You don't need it for this though; Global BASE is what you need.)

2. The PNG Holgermesh. This is freeware; install from ORBX's site.

3. ORBX AYPY Jackson International Airport.

4. OPTIONAL - if you enjoy these strips, you might look at the ORBX Tapini airport as well; it adds another set of bush strips a bit north of the Kokoda track area. Also beautiful.

5. Also optional - I set up a cargo hauling operation for a while here, using the old Aerosoft Beaver in Air Hauler. To do this, I had to make FSX recognize these strips as airports. ORBX (intentionally I think, to make them challenging to find) did not include the AFCAD files that denote them as airports in the sim. This means they don't show up on the GPS, or in the sim menu as starting locations. They also weren't recognized by Air Hauler, so I created AFCADs for them and uploaded them at AVSIM. You may or may not want those.

Have fun... I REALLY love flying that area!!!

Thanks for the information well explained

Hi there,

I know just the Orbx Papua New Guinea strips you're talking about, and they're fantastic - probably some of the most fun and challenging pure "flying" I've done in FSX.

ORBX has a huge range of products (and they're all absolutely top notch, I mean your sim will look COMPLETELY different), but because of this their site can be a bit confusing to navigate until you get the hang of it.

Here's what you need for those bush strips on the Kokoda track

1. ORBX Global Base. (Global vector is not needed, nor is it of much benefit for these strips, but does wonders to areas of the world with a lot of rivers and coastlines. You don't need it for this though; Global BASE is what you need.)

2. The PNG Holgermesh. This is freeware; install from ORBX's site.

3. ORBX AYPY Jackson International Airport.

4. OPTIONAL - if you enjoy these strips, you might look at the ORBX Tapini airport as well; it adds another set of bush strips a bit north of the Kokoda track area. Also beautiful.

5. Also optional - I set up a cargo hauling operation for a while here, using the old Aerosoft Beaver in Air Hauler. To do this, I had to make FSX recognize these strips as airports. ORBX (intentionally I think, to make them challenging to find) did not include the AFCAD files that denote them as airports in the sim. This means they don't show up on the GPS, or in the sim menu as starting locations. They also weren't recognized by Air Hauler, so I created AFCADs for them and uploaded them at AVSIM. You may or may not want those.

Have fun... I REALLY love flying that area!!!

I really hope you will let us know how your experience works out! I often feel like the Maytag Man.

When you try really hard to provide the best advice you can and never get any feedback as to whether that advice helped or not, it leaves you standing as they say High and Dry!

PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW EVERYTHING IS WORKING OUT FOR YOU!

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived