Pilot's path on flight sim

zgabx

Hello everyone,

I've been flying on flight sims for a while and I've decided to take a pilot's path on a flight sim. My question is: which planes should I learn to fly, in order? Example: Start with an ultralight, than go to a Cessna 172, than a Beechcraft King Air, and so on.

I don't need very detailed paths, but those would be very appreciated.

I fly in FSX but I'm planning to move to XP11, probably I won't use P3D because of the cost. (If the FSX>XP11 upgrade isn't worth it, tell me please)

If you know a good add-on aircraft model for one of the two above sims, please send a link to buy/download it or just the developer.

My goal is to fly from the most simple aircraft to an airliner.

(This is probably the wrong place for asking this but I don't know where else to ask)

Any further questions? Just ask, I will answer with pleasure. ;)

Easy! Start with the tutorial Missions in FSX. They do what you are seeking! It all starts with the ultralight trike on the ground learning the art of taxiing, to takeoff, and landing and then moving on up to slightly more complex aircraft like the C-172 and such. Don't ignore the flying lessons in the Sim. They are very helpful.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Good approach to start with ultralight, then move up. Stick with ultralight untill you master flying (default flight starts in air), then landing, and takeoff last.

Ultralight is great to learn aerodynamics. (how a plane behaves in air, and how it reacts to thrust and left/right, nose up/down, etc.

Don't move to next plane untill you master it.

Each plane will teach you a few controls more. Good for step by step.

The lessons assume you already know most controls. They are great for refining your flying later, but even then are not easy. I don't think they're the best place to start.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You didn't give any of your specs. You should have at least a twist grip (for rudder) joystick. You should also have a faster CPU (i7 or i5?) that lets you get at least 25 fps as you really can't fly anything if you only get 8 fps (laptop). Then practice, practice, practice. When I started I crashed the C172 a bunch of times. Unbelieveable (now) but it 'happened'.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

You should have at least a twist grip (for rudder) joystick.

I know some people love those, but the real world uses rudder pedals. I never could get the hang of that twist grip, in terms of anything but gross jerking of the rudder, though a friend loves his. YMMV...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

The only problem that I have with the missions is that I can't use realistic aircraft and as far as I know they are not good for learning, just the basic worth the consumed time. At least that is what I read online.

This is wrong.

The lessons are specifically designed for the aircraft.

You can move on to advanced aircraft but the defaults are perfectly suitable for the basics. And those basic lessons are provided by real flight instructors.

That is where to begin.

The only problem that I have with the missions is that I can't use realistic aircraft and as far as I know they are not good for learning, just the basic worth the consumed time. At least that is what I read online.

I actually agree with Mr. Allcott! There is nothing wrong with the C-172, Baron58, and the other aircraft that are used in the tutorial Missions and lessons. Other 3rd party aircraft can be used in the Missions, if you so desire.

Our OP is trying to run before he can walk. If you haven't mastered the basics how can you expect to tame the advanced aircraft that have quirks, foibles, and in-depth system simulation?

And you can't do ANY of it without rudder pedals. A twist joystick has many uses, but as rudder pedals? That's just daft.

By using the inbuilt lesson and aircraft you can begin the learning curve while saving for the pedals. And once you have the epdals you will realise how daft it was to not have them.

Finally, zgabx, before you do ANY of this get yourself down to a local flying club and get a demo flight in a real aircraft. There's so much total garbage spouted about accuracy in forums by seasoned simmers who base the real world on what they see in You Tube videos.

Real flying isn't like that. There is NO substitute for flying in a real light aircraft.

Thank you for the help so far. But what do I do next?

And there is something, I want to know which airplanes should I fly, after I finish the missions. Are X-plane 11's missions good? At least at the demo I thougth they were very well made...

Thank you for the help so far. But what do I do next?

And there is something, I want to know which airplanes should I fly, after I finish the missions. Are X-plane 11's missions good? At least at the demo I thougth they were very well made...

After finishing the Missions, start off with whatever aircraft you feel the most comfortable with. Do short flights in familiar territory, maybe 100 miles from airport A to Airport B. Start out flying VFR using simple navigation devices like maps, GPS, or VORs. Work up to longer flights in jet aircraft using IFR and ATC for guidance.

The airplanes are the same in FSX, FSX Accel, FSX Steam, XP11, P3D. The only require you have a least a twist grip joystick. I don't have pedals and I fly ALL 'sim objects', including race cars, ships, helicopters, UFO's, etc. And they require you LEARN what is requred for 'it' to 'fly'. That is what the missions will teach you. Start with C-172 type (ie: 'Cessna') and move up (FOR FUN) all the way to the 747 and Concorde and Helicopters. That's enouch TALK. JUST GET FLYING!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived