Installing FS2004 without built-in CD-ROM DRIVE

ital

Hello FlightSim,

Very important question in my opinion. Recently I have seen some laptops without a built-in CD-ROM drive and as for desktop not sure if they exist that way too yet so anyway how can we install FS on these kind of machines:confused:

Please note I'm pretty sure the replies are going to be to just copy everything on usb then proceed with the installation. The thing is I already tried that with a game which has 2 CDs but some files have the same names on CD1 and 2, but probably different data and size as also the modification/creation of the file. So, if I put both CD files into one folder it will ask to overwrite files and surely I cannot overwrite otherwise during installation process the setup won't recognize if some file names have been changed. So I think this is complex isn't it? It will be even more complex if the setup tells you to insert CD2 after getting to that part of installation. FS2004 is 4 CDs :eek:

So any thoughts and ideas about it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about using 2 USBs and using them one at a time, just like CDs? (Have contents of CD1 on first USB and contents of CD2 on second USB)
http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

From what I understand, you can use a USB thumb drive once the Registry path knows to read it from the USB drive. At least, I think that's how it works...

The solution is to get an External CD/DVD-ROM drive and load FS9 the normal way, + doing the 'business' to get it to work under W10. With the state of W10 and older Software, you won't be using CD #4 to run the Sim anyway.

Peripherals that were once standard equipment are now considered an add on... lots of hoops to jump through, and $$ to spend.

Alan :rolleyes:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

The thing is I already tried that with a game which has 2 CDs but some files have the same names on CD1 and 2, but probably different data and size as also the modification/creation of the file. So, if I put both CD files into one folder it will ask to overwrite files and surely I cannot overwrite otherwise during installation process the setup won't recognize if some file names have been changed.

You've almost answered your own question - you can create a folder on your USB stick with the game title, then inside that folder create two more folders named CD1 and CD2, and then copy the original CD1 and CD2 into each of those two folders.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You will still require a CD drive to start FS9 due to its copy protection scheme unless you are using a no-cd patched FS9.exe. However some Windows updates removed the digital rights module from Windows that FS9 uses (safe-disk). The special tracks used on CD4 will not copy including raw image copiers. Search this forum for no-CD information on starting FS without disk 4 or how to get back (remove the update) that caused this problem.

FWIW I have one USB thumb drive I assigned a drive letter to, in my case a: since I do not have floppy drives any more, which saved from rewriting some details of a lot of backup routines that used to go to floppy. Win 7-64 Pro.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

unlimited backup.

Question: What do you do, when one of your FS2004 CD's gets damaged?

This is precisely why I started this thread too.

- It's not just because of non built-in CD-ROMs anymore.

- It's also a possibility of the external drive from being discontinued sooner or later. And also, unable to read the CD inserted. This problem "cd drive reading process" has happened a lot with me in the past from built-in drives despite taking extremely care of my stuffs.

- And the worst of them all is if the CD itself being damaged or something not right :(

(To be honest I don't know why the hell they would discontinue built-in drives from machines since today's music for example still use CDs for their records and things...)

So a usb flash drive is the best option for me and I would like to try it to be prepared when the time comes for it so I don't leave everything at the last second. I already backed up my addons and a freaking 40+GB of AI traffic and user aircrafts both all set, just copy paste and voila, instant traffic addon complete ;)

But please I need assistance on how to completely uninstall FS2004 as in the past I had trouble doing it because I was told for the sim to be out completely of the system, the registry and whatever else is needed to be taken out as well and this is where I'm having problems doing it.

As for usb drive, I would like to copy all 4 CDs into 1 usb drive so I'm going to create a folder for each CD files then put all 4 folders into 1 folder then copy that 1 folder into the usb, now will the setup process ask me to insert CD2 at some part of the installation?

EDIT : yes ronzie, I have the no-cd .exe

I copied my FS install, including the folder in 'My Documents' onto a portable hard drive, as well as a copy of copy of Flight1's registry tool.

I've probably installed from there at least 20 times, with never a problem or issue.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hello,

1) Create a Temp folder on your harddrive. Name this folder: FS_DISC3 This will be the name (Label) of our DVD.

2) Copy all the contents from CD1 to the Temp folder.

3) Copy all the contents from CD2 to the same Temp folder. Do NOT overwrite any files if prompted!

4) Copy all the contents from CD3 to the same Temp folder. Do NOT overwrite any files if prompted!

5) Copy all the contents from CD4 to the same Temp folder. Do NOT overwrite any files if prompted!

6) Create another folder/s for any Updates, Serial, Patches and or NO-CD etc. NOTE: Name this/these folder/s whatever you want.

7) Burn the contents of the Temp folder to a DVD with the Label: FS_DISC3 or copy that on a USB stick

Regards.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a/bye.gif

If you gave a couple of monkeys a box of ballpoints, enough paper, and enough time, they'd eventually finish up writing the complete works of Shakespeare :)

(To be honest I don't know why the hell they would discontinue built-in drives from machines since today's music for example still use CDs for their records and things...)

Well, not like it used to be. MP3 players and smartphones is where music is played these days. We're seeing optical drives disappearing from new pc's, too. A USB portable CD-DVD player-burner is a must-have these days, can be had for around $20.

Ok I tried 3Green method.. Created a folder and copied all necessary files in it.

I skipped "autorun.inf" from CD2, 3 and 4

I copied "setup.ico" and "stub.exe" from CD2 even though maybe it's unimportant. I skipped both same files from CD3 and 4.

By the way I don't see the "the special tracks used on CD4".

Then anyway I made another backup with full files from each CD and ready to be burn on a blank CD.

I just have this important question hoping anyone have knowledge about it please..

I backed up a 2 CD combat flight sim game and would like the setup to read it from usb flash drive instead of CDs, how can I make that happen? The 2nd CD contains some files names like in 1st CD but different data so I can't put them into same folder and go for it as the setup keeps asking for inserting CD2.

On a computer with CD drive, create ISO images of the disks (every burner software should have that functionality). Then transfer the ISOs onto the laptop, using an USB key or HDD.

Then install WinCDEmu. This little tool can mount the ISO files as a virtual CD drive - Windows is unable to tell the difference.

Works with DVDs too (XPlane comes to mind or FSX)

On a computer with CD drive, create ISO images of the disks (every burner software should have that functionality). Then transfer the ISOs onto the laptop, using an USB key or HDD.

Then install WinCDEmu. This little tool can mount the ISO files as a virtual CD drive - Windows is unable to tell the difference.

Works with DVDs too (XPlane comes to mind or FSX)

WinCDEmu allows you to create an ISO directly from the discs or from files in a folder. If you have problems creating an ISO directly from the CD, you can just copy the contents of the CD to a folder and create an ISO from there using WinCDEmu.

Mark Daniels

I really wonder why nobody uses a network connection?

:confused:

Because the assumption was, that you suddenly end up with a (=one) computer that has no more optical drive. So you would have to go to a friend who still has one and somehow transfer your disks to a usable format, to be able to reinstall. If you have a LAN and there still is another computer with a drive, you could use that one too, shared over the network. But it would be clunky if the disk is required at runtime (a few titles need the CD/DVD in the drive every time you start them).

I agree, but if I have no CD Drive, my only way would be the "NoCD FS9.exe".

;)

But this would only work for FS9, nothing else. And you need a fair bit of trust to use something like that (a large chunk of executable code of unknown origin)

If you use the ISO method with WinCDEmu, then Windows thinks that you have the actual CD/DVD in the drive (unless it is heavily copy protected).

Archived