Installing FS2004 without built-in CD-ROM DRIVE

ital

I'm just wondering...

What's the aversion to just getting an External DVD/CD/BR Drive and Installing FS9 the 'old fashioned' way? I see everybody offering almost every solution except for the one that's guaranteed to work!

Alan :confused:

Is owning a DVD/CD/BR Player for your Computer now considered gauché, or a faux pas?

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just wondering...

What's the aversion to just getting an External DVD/CD/BR Drive and Installing FS9 the 'old fashioned' way? I see everybody offering almost every solution except for the one that's guaranteed to work!

Alan :confused:

Is owning a DVD/CD/BR Player for your Computer now considered gauché, or a faux pas?

LMAO!!

Even if it is a faux pas to own or stoop to using a cd-dvd drive they could always buy a portable one to plug into their USB for about $25. Then do the load and unplug and hide the embarrassing drive till the next time.

THEIR PEER GROUP NEVER NEEDS TO KNOW THEY DID THE DIRTY WITH A CD/DVD DRIVE!;);)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I'm just wondering...

No - it is just unnecessary.

Why spend the money when you can have a free solution that is faster, more reliable and doesn't involve any additional hardware? Seems kind of odd too, to spend another $20 just to run one game.

Plus, I think it is useful to know that you can run virtual CD/DVD/BD drives. Might come in handy one day. I virtualized all my disk products - so they never break, get scratched or become outmoded. And I really hate software that requires the DVD to spin up just for copy protection. Especially when you have more than one of those.

No - it is just unnecessary.

Why spend the money when you can have a free solution that is faster, more reliable and doesn't involve any additional hardware? ....

So how do you install software that comes on a DVD?

If you use the ISO method with WinCDEmu, then Windows thinks that you have the actual CD/DVD in the drive (unless it is heavily copy protected).

And 600meg of your HD is permanently devoted to holding this ISO in which only a small portion is accessed, and only when you start FS.

What danger do you see to that "unknown" .exe when hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, use it?

(I always wished there were a way to ascertain which file(s) were accessed on each of my game CDs and make a small ISO of those. If I couldn't find a no-CD patch for any game I uninstalled it and returned it, stating, truthfully, "it will not run on my system".)

I think using a desktop computer, rather than a laptop, is now seen as an anachronism.

My last laptop was W95. I much prefer a desktop, I can add an HD, replace a PS, or swap out a vid card, and it's up and running in fifteen minutes; not to mention very few laptops have screens larger than 17" (can you imagine lugging around something larger).

I think using a desktop computer, rather than a laptop, is now seen as an anachronism.

My last laptop was W95. I much prefer a desktop, I can add an HD, replace a PS, or swap out a vid card, and it's up and running in fifteen minutes; not to mention very few laptops have screens larger than 17" (can you imagine lugging around something larger).

I have two laptops. In fact I'm on one now. However I never have loaded FSX on one. I've never found a laptop with a fast enough CPU to work well with FSX!

As to the CD-DVD drive: One had it when I bought it. The smaller one which I travel with is accessed with the aforementioned store bought portable drive which plugs into the USB.

For $20 or so, why wouldn't you have a portable drive around in case you ever needed it?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I've been using a Laptop for the last couple of years after my Desktop went south. The internal DVD/CD Drive still works, but I bought an External DVD/CD drive because it makes my work compiling Instructional DVD's much easier. 1 drive for the Master, 1 for the Copy. (not to worry; DVD's are for our Product Line...)

However, for watching DVD Movies I use the External, because I dislike the extra heat the Internal drive creates...

Alan :p

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Wow wow wow!! :D So many interesting posts after my thank you post. I'm so delighted with this virtual iso stuffs as it is an excellent idea to do my cds which cannot be merged into a same folder for its setup and on the other side of it, if I insert a cd sometimes it takes a lot of time to read the cd fully, like 5 minutes or something (sometimes even more) to read it fully before opening installation setup and also sometimes nothing opens which is very confusing. I don't know why, the cds are fine and not scratched or corrupted, damaged or whatever else. This winCDEmu looks really interesting.

So how do you install software that comes on a DVD?

If you don't have a DVD drive in your laptop, you better don't buy it in the first place. The technique that I described is for the transition phase, when you archive your existing optical disks to be able to use them on your new laptop which doesn't have a DVD drive. Even if it has one, I prefer to replace those drives with HDDs.

And 600meg of your HD is permanently devoted to holding this ISO in which only a small portion is accessed, and only when you start FS.

What danger do you see to that "unknown" .exe when hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, use it?

(I always wished there were a way to ascertain which file(s) were accessed on each of my game CDs and make a small ISO of those. If I couldn't find a no-CD patch for any game I uninstalled it and returned it, stating, truthfully, "it will not run on my system".)

Why would I care about storage space? The usual HDD nowadays is 1 TB, is it not?

Danger: because you never know if it is the same file that the others are using. You don't have any security at all if you rely on crackware. Freeware is already bad enough, I have had to "force-clean" quite a few laptops of my co-workers because they found it a good idea to download a free tool. Even from respectable sites these downloads often contain a lot more than you bargained for.

Why would I care about storage space? The usual HDD nowadays is 1 TB, is it not?

My pickup truck had a 3/4 ton capacity, doesn't mean I wanted to carry 300lbs of spare parts around in it.

(FWIW, my desktop has two 500gig internal and a 1 tB external, at any given time all are 60%-70% full; that's currently increased by about 200gig of ISO files - video projects waiting to be burned, after which they will be deleted. More files = more searching = more fragmentation = HD working harder.)

So a 2010 game of 5+ GB size on a single cd, probably DVD, will work making it iso?

Sure, but why would you want that? The ISO method only makes sense if you have to reinstall something often or if the game does not run without the disk (note that this does not always work). For example, I have various operating systems' install DVDs as ISO files on an external drive that can pose as a CD - I need that, because I frequently have to boot hardware with different OSs. Then I copied my FS9 disk and the XP disk into ISO, so I don't have to use the CD drive. Keeps the disks safe.

All other games since maybe 2008 have online validation, and nowadays we are supposed to buy online anyway, or so it seems.

Well I really just want to backup all my games cds to iso then into usb, that way, no more need to insert cds to install or play because the pc is taking lots of time to read the cds, sometimes the setup doesn't even open. Just like skywatcher12 last post, probably one of the reasons with my issues so far. The ones that won't work, oh well, then nothing I can do.

Like just recently I tried an old game, inserted cd and opened the setup but nothing happens, a friend then sent me a copy of the setup which was made differently than the original one and the setup was able to open but then it asks me to insert cd to play, so I put it in and it worked.

So it got me to thinking that if it is still in good condition and pc was able to read it without problems with today's modern pc why wouldn't the setup open from the original cd one? Sooner or later, stuffs regarding cds might be discontinued with pc and laptops so yeah I really want to keep my stuffs as they work with win7-10. So far I got them copied all fully (I hope) then zipped archived into usb.

Is it wise to solely rely upon your CD's for backup?...

No! Of all the backup CDs I created years ago, about 20% are not readable now (an old XP system whirrs and clatters for a couple of minutes then asks if i want to format the disk, Vista and W7 essentially lockup waiting for a response). Even commercial disks are not immune, recently I've tracked down replacements for game disks with the same issues.

Flash drives seem the best alternative for storage space and reliability, especially considering how inexpensive they are now, and every computer has USB slots. For full system backups I use external USB drives, also inexpensive, but they are still mechanical media so I question long term reliability.

In my experience, USB flash drives aren't trustworthy either for long term storage. I've had a number fail or develop issues in as little as a couple years of use. For local backups I prefer either an external hard drive enclosure with RAID1 support, or an NAS with multiple drives (currently running an NAS). This way one drive can fail without losing data.

All other games since maybe 2008 have online validation, and nowadays we are supposed to buy online anyway, or so it seems.

And those online purchases aren't even an iso you could burn to disc; so if you need to reinstall, instead of a fifteen minute reinstall from a disc you must endure another three hour download/install.

Now, I realize I am decidedly in the minority here, but the totalitarian requirement to install unnecessary and unwanted software on my system is a deal breaker (Steam), as is the unnecessary requirement for a game to "phone home" every time it is run (EA/Origin, UBIsoft). So my gaming dollar is now spent perusing ebay, yard sales, and thrift shops for games i missed in the past. (FWIW, if Steam would drop their draconian demands they could quadruple the price of their games and I would be over there right now, Paypal in hand.)

evm, does it usually takes a lot of time to finish creating the iso or did I do something wrong during installation or installation path or something else? I cannot upload a picture from pc in private messaging I don't know why so I post here and here's a screenshot so far after about 5 minutes of creating one...

12.jpg

It is pretty easy to move the Steam games directory without re-downloading everything again, including moving to a new computer.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Steam also has a local backup feature that can be used.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033

Looks like Origin also allows for local backups of games too.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games

Origin does allow for offline play now too, although, like Steam's Offline mode, it does require you to have a connection when enabling it. Still not ideal if your internet connection drops unexpectedly.

Most other online purchases I have made provided an installation file that can be backed up for future reinstallations. Online DRM isn't great, but at this point I'm not sure it's going to change unless everything moves to the open source model somehow (not very likely).

evm, does it usually takes a lot of time to finish creating the iso or did I do something wrong during installation or installation path or something else? I cannot upload a picture from pc in private messaging I don't know why so I post here and here's a screenshot so far after about 5 minutes of creating one...

When it does this copy the contents of the disc to your drive and make an ISO from there.

Can't open a virtual drive too from the vmnt.exe or the vmnt64.exe .. I don't know if I'm missing something or installed it wrong. I did not install it in C\program files86\

When the ISO is created, just right click it and you should have the option to open and mount it with WinCDEmu. Once mounted, it's like you have inserted a real CD into a real drive except your CD is a virtual one (the ISO) and the CD drive is also a virtual one.

Mark Daniels

Archived