Installing FS2004 without built-in CD-ROM DRIVE

ital

When it does this copy the contents of the disc to your drive and make an ISO from there.

When the ISO is created, just right click it and you should have the option to open and mount it with WinCDEmu. Once mounted, it's like you have inserted a real CD into a real drive except your CD is a virtual one (the ISO) and the CD drive is also a virtual one.

Ok I did that since I already had a copy of the cd contents in my drive so it was successful but now when I right click it windows explorer has stopped working and restarting :confused: If I double click it I get error and "cannot connect to BazisVirtualCD.sys!"

The icon of the iso is like a WinRAR archive.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you right click the folder that contains the contents of your CD you should just get a normal Windows right click context menu. In this menu will be the option to Build an ISO Image created by WinCDEmu.

If your Windows Explorer is locking up when you just right click a folder then there is something wrong on your system.

Mark Daniels

evm, does it usually takes a lot of time to finish creating the iso or did I do something wrong during installation or installation path or something else? I cannot upload a picture from pc in private messaging I don't know why so I post here and here's a screenshot so far after about 5 minutes of creating one...

That depends on what condition the CD is in and the quality of the drive. On a cheap CD/DVD drive, you might be entirely out of luck if there are scratches etc. on the disk.

Which shows you that you are on the right path, once you have a digital copy you never have to fear scratches or sub-par hardware again. To archive them, put the ISOs on a "classic" mechanical harddrive, not a flash storage (USB Key or SSD). When flash storage fails, your data is gone for good, harddisks usually anounce their failure beforehand (through degrading access times), and even if they really break, they can be recovered.

Ok I got it to work now, I somehow did not install the drivers of WinCDEmu so I uninstalled wincdemu then reinstalled it. Then I copied the contents of each CD and pasted them in a temp folder then "build an iso image" from that temp folder. There's a game so far making error as soon as the setup % starts, I'm not sure whether choosing the "disc type" option is necessary or not. I have lots of choices when I click the dropdown arrow and it starts by "Data disc, CD-ROM, CD-R" etc... does that have effect when installing something?

You should create the ISO directly from the CD/DVD, there is no need for a temp folder. Some games have fixed sectors or sessions on them, for copy protection. If you only copy the files you will lose that. I am creating the ISOs with the burner software, this usually works. But if the CD is copy protected well enough, you may be out of luck.

Archived