Best night scenery add-on for fsx steam

miamimarlins

Hi,

Still dont like the night scenery or fsx,

Only feeling about 70% realistic. Not enough little lights, not enough rotating beacons,not enough winding lights trailing from the cities..not enough dark areas

What is the best night scenery add-on out there, freeware or paid.

Thanks

PC specs: Windows 7 pro 64 bit,Intel core i5 2500 CPU @3.3 Mhz,GFORCE GTX 570

8 Gb pc, 1 Gb video card. 500gb HD

Real world CPL pilot with 800 hours logged in single engine / multi engine aircraft

Once you install a ORBX product with the world in 3D lights, you'll never go back to default. I used to hate night flying in FSX but now it's actually fun :)
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

If you get ORBX Global Base, the WHOLE world will have 3D lights.

https://www.fullterrain.com/

Be warned $$$ after the addiction for more takes over.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Im not sure if my pc can handle orbx, Im running REX on fsx now, my pc is getting 50 fps. But orbx just might kill that?

Real world CPL pilot with 800 hours logged in single engine / multi engine aircraft

Im not sure if my pc can handle orbx, Im running REX on fsx now, my pc is getting 50 fps. But orbx just might kill that?

ORBX claims "Then there is a new zero-FPS -loss night lighting system for the entire planet, including lighting of all major arterial roads in and out of cities."

...but maybe someone with similar PC specs can tell you what to expect.

Would you have the link to the software package they are talking about?

Is it this?

https://www.fspilotshop.com/zinertek-ultimate-night-environment-p-1192.html

I remember installing the fs2004 version years ago, was not impressed

Im looking at this add-on (Ultimate Terrain X Version 2.x for FSX)

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utxusa

On another website I read they have come out with 2.1 that works with steam.

I like that it covers the whole U.S. that is where I do alot of simming.

Im wondering what others have to say about Ultimate Terrain X in regards to frame rates, is it a frame rate killer?

Im looking at this add-on (Ultimate Terrain X Version 2.x for FSX)

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utxusa

On another website I read they have come out with 2.1 that works with steam.

I like that it covers the whole U.S. that is where I do alot of simming.

Im wondering what others have to say about Ultimate Terrain X in regards to frame rates, is it a frame rate killer?

It's not that bad. You could turn down auto gen to save frames. It still looks good. One thing I like about it, is it adds some lights to photoreal scenery, which is usually dark.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

You're running 50fps? Why are you worried about frame rate? As long as you stay about 30-35, you'll never see the difference anyway!

Don't try to tame that dragon! Turn your frame rate indicator off and enjoy what you're seeing! :cool:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I purchased Ultimate Terrain X Version 2.1

Day textures and scenery are great, night time however there seems to be a issue, im not sure if its normal or not But the auto-gen lights are only showing up right below or right in front of the airplane, not extended on the horizon, as you can see in this case the lights are not extended on the highway . Maybe there is a setting on my video card that can be adjusted , or somewhere on the program?

edit...I have come to relize that the night scenery has changed, and is alot better, the auto gen lights not showing up on the far horizon is normal, even after I set my LOD radius to 8.5

lights.png

Must be peculiar to UTX as Night Environment shows the lights going far off into the distance.

ORBX "...shows the lights going far off into the distance." as well. It's probably a FSX setting but I'll be damned if I could tell you which one.

P.S. If you want to further enhance your night flying, don't forget your aircraft. Get A2A Shockwave 3D Lights REDUX. You'll be blown away by the difference.

Hey lesh,

If you could, can you post comparison shots of ORBX and Night Environment? Preferably of the exact, same area.

I'm a fan of ORBX lighting. What's happening in your shot isn't what I'm used to seeing. Here are shots in the Seattle area. I've show a day and night shot in almost the same spot. I don't see the night shot detail tapering off any sooner than the day shot.

North Daylight Jpg..jpgNorth Dark Jpg.jpg

Or the Boeing Airport facing South.

boeing day resized.jpgBoeing Night resized.jpg

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I agree ORBX looks great,however its expensive,and if it causes my frame rates to decrease to the point where I dont want to fly then as you know many of these online download programs are non refundable.Unless they have a good demo that will allow me to test before I buy. I have read lots of stories where users say it killed there frame rates.

With UTX,its only decreasing my frame rates a tiny bit, hardly anything

OpenLC NA introduced a new style of lighting, it's (I presume) the same tech used by Aerosoft's Night Environment but you still keep the FTX lights shown in Rupert's screenshots. The cool thing is these little light overlays prioritize above everything else so when you add OpenLC NA, your regions get a lighting update too. These are effectively a photoreal with only a night variant and all but the major roadways are blended out, they also have an accompanying placement .bgl for the actual light orbs. This shot is actually near Providence, Rhode Island but you get the same effect in Los Angeles using the SCA region for example. I personally don't do a lot of night flying but once in a while I get caught out after dark and it's kind of a neat little surprise when you arrive into a major city.

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/openlc_lights.jpg

...Unless they have a good demo that will allow me to test before I buy.

Actually they do. Iceland, Pacific Northwest, and Tasmania

https://orbxdirect.com/demos

Your screenshot is about what im looking for. Im going to try a demo and go from there, thanks for the advise.

Archived