Reasonable Frame Rate??

aharon

Made first flight on FSX in my new laptop flying from EBBR to EGPH and so far, everything went smooth!!

Interesting fact is that in my old laptop, FSX averaged between 10 and 15 fps. In my new laptop, FSX averages between 25 and 32 fps. Makes me wonder if I can extend the fps setting from 32 to 40 or 50 for laptop?http://forums.metroairvirtual.com/Smileys/default/huh.gif

What is reasonable fps setting for FSX for laptop and for use of payware airport sceneries as I have about 50? No payware add on aircrafts as I avoid them.

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

It is interesting, I don't know what to make of the quest for fps. I have been tweaking for some time and have most of the detail/textures at max, resolution at 4k and achieved something close to 40fps "average" as reported by FSUIPC. I did all this because the SimSamari manual said to expect about a 10fps drop per panel and my plan is to add two additional monitors. Well, this weekend I added two additional monitors. So on the main view I have outside the windscreen view and gauges on a 27" 4K res monitor, and then a 22" 1920 x 1080 max res monitor to the left and right of it (for left and right views). This is all on one i7 machine and one Nvidea GTX980 (2 GB) card. Well sure enough my frame rate dropped to 20 fps average. I can say though, this is plenty good. Only a bit of jitter when close to the ground. And I think I can tweak that out with some minor slider adjustment.

So all this is to say, if it looks good and is stable and you are happy with the detail you produce, then any fps number is "good" in my book. For me to get much above 20 fps I would need to network machines with wideFS (or whatever it is called). I would rather avoid the complexity if I can. Just my $.02.

half your screen refresh rate is the fps you should 'aim' towards.

You'll never get fps greater than your screens refresh rate, so forget about those heroes with 200fps etc!

I set my fps with a limit of 30fps too, this aids the cpu to do the maths and not waste any memory and speeds doing unwanted and unachievable visuals.

I run Orbx add on a aplenty at A2A aircraft. I get between 15-30fps , depending where i am. Thats good enough for me

half your screen refresh rate is the fps you should 'aim' towards.

You'll never get fps greater than your screens refresh rate, so forget about those heroes with 200fps etc!

I set my fps with a limit of 30fps too, this aids the cpu to do the maths and not waste any memory and speeds doing unwanted and unachievable visuals.

I run Orbx add on a aplenty at A2A aircraft. I get between 15-30fps , depending where i am. Thats good enough for me

Correct. It's divisible by 2, 3, 5, 6 and 10. Anything more than 30 is a waste, and all it does is dictate fps over system fidelity. Remember, the background processes in the sim (weather, FDE, display of features ect) MUST also have their fair share of CPU and GPU time.

You don't gain A THING by going beyond 30 fps. You actually lose a lot.

Their are exceptions to this, but with your level of hardware it's irrelevant to discuss here.

Lock FPS at 20, 25, 30. Stick with what works best on that laptop, for your type of flying, with your settings...

FPS is mostly about CPU speed as FSX is such a CPU intensive application. In my experience your FPS frame rate will increase by the same percentage as your CPU clock speed whether you purchase a better PC or overclock the one you already have. IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Anything above 30fps and your PC is doing more work updating the screen than it ever needs to and is taking clock cycles away from other, possibly vital processes.

FPS is like Facebook "likes" - everyone seems to want more, and certainly more than their friends, and to brag about them, but enough is always enough - more than enough is simply waste

I have a pretty amazing computer, and I only get about 55-60FPS depending on the location. No I do not have any payware airports but I do fly payware aircraft and have updated sceneries for the airports. Some people will say the human eye cannot see above 24FPS, but I disagree with this. My monitor is 74Hz, and I can definitely tell the difference between 30FPS and 74FPS. I could even tell a difference between 60FPS and 74FPS, so I do think FPS make a difference but as long as you're averaging about 30FPS and it's smooth, it should be fine. On a laptop 30FPS is great.

I've always found 30 acceptable and comfortable. Can even live with 25 at resource hungry payware airports. Much less that 20 and it becomes a bit of a slideshow and stutters make aircraft difficult to control due to lag. IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Archived