What's Up With The FSX P-51D

I have been flying the P-51D. Can anyone tell me or know why Microsoft programed this plane to be so finicky? If you get into it too aggressively the engine will catch on fire. It's a very frustration plane to fly. In the real world this plane was supposed to take as much abuse as it was technically made for. Any thoughts out there? Thanks. DR

After takeoff are you able to adjust the prop RPM into a safe zone to keep the engine from catching fire?

I'm flying the AlphaP-51D and showing the RPM in my screenshot. Once you have the RPM adjusted, you can goose it till you're giddy!:eek::pilot:

P51 RPM.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yes, This plane was among several high performance aircraft called the "widow makers" because few newbie pilots knew how to fly it, them! If it were simmed any other way, it wouldn't be correctly simmed as a P-51!

Flown correctly, this is a hugely safe airplane! However, as many junior pilots, many of whom discovered on takeoff roll, this is a plane that takes as much as it gives!!

I'm thrilled that even FSX doesn't portray it as a climb in and go aircraft! It never was!! Nor shall it ever be!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The default FSX Mustang engine is very prone to catch fire unless you nurse it along. For example I slammed the throttle of this one wide open and took off, but within a minute the engine was spluttering and gouts of flame are belching out of the cowling leaving a smoke trail and loss of power and it started going down..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-eng-stress_zpsndjm8tb5.jpg~original

The good news is that engines are only liable to overheat if you tick the "Engine stress damages engine" button on the screen below, so I usually chicken and fly with it unticked..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Airc-realism.gif~original

Yep it happened to me several times until I realized how important proper prop rpm and manifold pressure (Boost to you Brits) management was in these high performance aircraft. Plus the Reno Racers are kind of like Grand Prix cars and not necessarily like a stock Mustang. You can push and overboost them for more speed and power but you are liable to grenade the engine as you've found out. RTFM for proper settings and fly them that way and they will reward you. Remember the stick unlocks the tailwheel too. Use lots of rudder trim for take-off. It's very challenging. Keep practicing and try the A2A or the Warbird Sim birds for more accurate flight characteristics.

M. Slim

P3D4.5 ; Win7 Pro i7-6700K 3.50GHz 6MB

ASUS Z170-K ATX mobo ; Ripjaws 16gb DDR4/3000MHz RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 ; 512GB Samsung 850 PRO, 512GB Samsung NVME 970

(coff)

Water injection...

The aircraft modelled is a modified RACE P-51, NOT a standard warbird. As such it is always going to be finicky and requires a certain mindset and technical understanding.

That being said, it really is poor in terms of system, FDE and operating simulation.

If you want to fly a P-51 that feels closer to a P-51 than A2A is a better bet. A MUCH better bet.

Thank you for the reply. I don't quite understand what "RPM adjusted" means. My meaning that how do you adjust the RPM without it effecting the engine?

It's not engine RPM, it's prop RPM. Most all of the default, 3rd party freeware and Payware prop-driven aircraft have prop levers on the engine console for this adjustment. I remember my first flight in the Manfred Jahn C-47 version2 about 8 minuets after takeoff, while climbing to cruise altitude, both engine bursting into flames because I didn't reduce the prop RPM in time. Reducing the throttles reduces the engine manifold pressure.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thank you for the reply. I don't quite understand what "RPM adjusted" means. My meaning that how do you adjust the RPM without it effecting the engine?

Remember FSX can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it, for example I like to just jump into the cockpit, slam open the throttles and I'm away into the wide blue yonder with a smile on my face bigger than a wave on a slop bucket, I dont need no steenkin boring messing with buttons and levers..:)

Most 3rd party planes with adjustable prop speeds were an attempt to make them "as real as it gets", so if you don't set things right, they let you know in some rather catastrophic ways. I have flown Mr. Jahns C-47/DC-3 and it's really good at that. So is the default P-51. It needs care on take-off or you ground-loop it, care during normal flight or the engine bursts into flames, etc etc.

Point is: Just how realistic do YOU want it? Very, some, a little...YOU decide and fly t that way. By the same token, you can't pick just THIS or THAT to make realistic. They made to be all or nothing. All very realistic, all some realistic, etc etc.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Here's another pic of an FSX default Mustang in trouble a couple of minutes after takeoff with spluttering noises, flame and smoke coming from under the cowling plus drastic loss of RPM, all because I slammed open the throttle with the "Engine stress damages engine" setting on..:)

FSX-fire.gif

Hi Folks,

Yep - concur - it's not modeled after a WWII bird - it's a severely souped up Reno racer... Hence your need for kid gloves...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with Scott.

The default P-51 isn't a stock plane in any sense of the word. It is a carefully designed race vehicle. It's as if you tried flooring a full blown dragster race car without knowing what you're doing!! Real World, THAT WOULD BE A VERY BAD CHOICE AS WELL!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived