1.4 vs 2.0, and xp vs 7

wolf2

been thinking about trying p3d and i noticed the website said under "minimum requirements" that xp was usable for the earler version, while only windows 7 was mentioned for the latest. I'm putting together a system based on xp pro 64bit, imho the best overall microsoft os ever, and was wondering if anybody has used that os for either version?

also does p3d need to installed outside the default location, in order to avoid problems that occur w fsx in later versions of windows?

Phil Colvin

also does p3d need to installed outside the default location, in order to avoid problems that occur w fsx in later versions of windows?

By "default location", I assume you mean the \Program Files (X86) folder?

What it comes down to is how you have set up "folder permissions" and UAC (User Account Control).

Those that have "issues with the default location" apparently haven't gotten the permissions set up correctly - this is true in probably 99% of the cases.

My FSX installation is in the aforementioned folder and I have had ZERO issues with it. Then again, it comes from my past experience with MSTS in the default location and setting the appropriate permissions for that (also zero issues).

thanks for the info guys. let me ask u something: i've been reading that due to being able to employ multi cores to render ground textures, p3d does NOT have autogen scenery suddenly popping up as u approach it the way fs10 does. i've read that the scenery stays sharp and fully rendered at all distances. it that true?

Phil Colvin

thanks for the info guys. let me ask u something: i've been reading that due to being able to employ multi cores to render ground textures, p3d does NOT have autogen scenery suddenly popping up as u approach it the way fs10 does. i've read that the scenery stays sharp and fully rendered at all distances. it that true?

Each system is different - "ALL" distances is purely subjective. AS Mallcott said - buy it and try it.

One note of caution - when I first purchased P3D, I immediately set it up just like FSX. The result was a mess and I returned it. After reading many success stories, I tried again and this time didn't change anything and proceeded slowly. Haven't looked back since.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

i've already purchased xp pro 64 and windows 98 se. going to have both on the rig i'm building in order to play all my best-loved games, which i still have but havent been able to play for years and years. now, p3d may come w a money back guarantee, but i doubt i can get that on windows 7 or 8. i'll decide whether to add one of those to my new system after adequate feedback on p3d.

here's an interesting link:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427142-an-end-to-the-blurries-and-autogen-popping/

everyone knows opinions are subjective. but if a i see a sufficient number of positive opinions from those qualifed to make the comparison, and if there's a consensus that p3d is a vast improvement over fsx on "autogen popping", THEN i'll decide to try it, and will include windows 7 or 8 in the rig i'm building.

so if anyone has any feedback to offer, positive or negative, on this single issue, i welcome the input. vic, i'd also be interested in a few of the reasons why you "never looked back", even if theyre not scenery related. and as for "autogen popping", have u noticed a big improvement on that, too? thanks again, everybody.

Phil Colvin

Phil - My FSX was tweaked to perfection so I didn't expect TOO much difference with P3D. I was surprised to say the least. If there is AG popping in P3D, I haven't noticed it. For me, the color depth is exceptional. The cloud shadows make it as close to real life as I recall.

WHen you read the P3D forums, you generally are reading posts from people who are having problems. The people who are not, are bust flying.

Without sounding like an elitist, I can say that a large number of complaints and problems (NOT ALL) are from people who haven't a clue how to set up a system. As with FSX in its beginning, P3D is going through growing pains - many of them are due to continuing development which we don't have with FSX. To embrace new hardware and software, LM has to take steps which may break some compatibility but will hopefully benefit in the long run. When 64bit becomes the norm, we will see a lot of add ons disappear until they make modifications.

When you are ready to take the plunge, we will still be here.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

and if there's a consensus that p3d is a vast improvement over fsx on "autogen popping", THEN i'll decide to try it,

It does improve the situation considerably, such that I never normally notice anything "popping up." However, that's not saying that nothing ever shows up (generally when it's very small), or that terrain doesn't get updated a little as you get closer.

But aside from that (which IS nice), the smoothness is one of P3D's biggest points. Since a lot of the graphics work is unloaded from the CPU onto the graphics card, using Dx11 to the fullest, frame rates tend to be better (especially with clouds showing), all else being equal, with a bit better graphics too. And even when frame rates drop below 18-20, such that it's no longer completely smooth, the time between individual frames is very regular, unlike FSX (and previous), such that the impression of smoothness persists. For me that's big, because in FSX when FPS was under 15, often when under 20, the unevenness of the time between frames actually came close, at times, to giving me vertigo. That has never happened in P3D. And this is all with shadows that more closely replicate real ones -- I was amazed at how much more "real" things seem with everything casting shadows (or shut off some kinds of shadows, such as buildings or vegetation, if you prefer).

Now you have my opinion, for what that's worth (add a couple of bucks and you can buy a cup of coffee). MUCH is improved...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

oops, i didnt notice your reply right above larry's. that's great input from u too vic, thanks! beginning to look like i'm gonna haveta bite the bullet and have a partition for windows 7 as well! I'll be sure to make it a 64bit version (for all i know, 7 and 8 dont come any other way - the gaming laptop i now use came w 7 home premium 64 bit). your point about the forum comments is well taken. and yes, i really like the idea of cloud shadows, too. so they move and change, just like the clouds casting them? that is extremely cool

edit: was just checking compatability for some of my favorite planes, and ran into the below in the a2a forums: bad news about their mustang, but great feedback on the scenery question:

"No.. it is not an initialization error because I loaded again P3D and had same issue.....

But for me this is not the important... The thing is the avionics to dead and A2A support to the plane. I have it also in FSX but I discovered that in P3D v2.1 I can have huge ammount of buildings in cities in far distance, smooth transitions, and looots of clouds with great fps. Come back to FSX is hard.

Just want to fly my favourite plane in P3D v2 a day."

Phil Colvin

I've been running FS9 (2x versions) & FSX for years on my i5 Windows 7 64bit laptop for years, all in their default directories, obviously with UAC set right down. Never a problem.

I installed P3Dv1.4 when it came out, also into default, also no problems. I then dumped FSX for the obvious reasons.

However, I cannot run the latter versions of P3D as my laptop is only DX10. xdiag tells me the sofware is DX11 compliant, but the laptop's hardware is not.

Just something to be aware of.

Happy flying! :-)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I fly the A2A Accusim P-51 both civil and military versions just fine in P3D. Have no clue why the post you quoted is having issues. I also have the B-17 accusim in P3D.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived