Prepar3D Version 3 release information

vgbaron

Just as a sidenote here: I installed v3 side by side with my older installations of v2.5 and FSX. I located v3's scenery.cfg file, opened it with notepad and copied over the data for my 100+ scenery addons from v2.5, including all the Orbx stuff. Apart from that I didn't copy one single file. Then adjusted the access paths in the ported-over scenery.cfg, adjusted the numbering of the scenery areas and I was back flying around in my scenery world in v3.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alverthein - Agreed. we all started somewhere. After a while one begins to tell who is credible and who is not.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I'm a computer engineer by education, and a retired USAF pilot. I write software for my flight sim and ham radio hobbies. I can tell you that the effort required to go through hundreds of thousands of lines of 10-year-old code--written by others--and ferret out the memory allocation and release issues with modern operating systems and a whole new video subsystem in mind was no exercise in "bug fix" trivia.

The LM guys are showing some real chops in making our long-stale FS platform a living thing again. I have been concerned almost to the point of paranoia at times that we were one day going to wake up and find that a spanky-new Windows XX is being released and that DX9 (and therefore FSX) would no long be supported, spelling the end of the hobby as we know it. The Lockheed Martin P3D guys have ended that worry for me.

We have a choice to support it and keep things alive, or let the hobby die. I want to die before the hobby does, so I'm behind the L-M team 100%.

Cheers

Bob Scott

I'm a computer engineer by education, and a retired USAF pilot. I write software for my flight sim and ham radio hobbies. I can tell you that the effort required to go through hundreds of thousands of lines of 10-year-old code--written by others--and ferret out the memory allocation and release issues with modern operating systems and a whole new video subsystem in mind was no exercise in "bug fix" trivia.

The LM guys are showing some real chops in making our long-stale FS platform a living thing again. I have been concerned almost to the point of paranoia at times that we were one day going to wake up and find that a spanky-new Windows XX is being released and that DX9 (and therefore FSX) would no long be supported, spelling the end of the hobby as we know it. The Lockheed Martin P3D guys have ended that worry for me.

We have a choice to support it and keep things alive, or let the hobby die. I want to die before the hobby does, so I'm behind the L-M team 100%.

Cheers

Bob Scott

Win 10 supports FSX so it will be a very long time before we cannot use FSX, no matter what LM does or doesn't do.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Just as a sidenote here: I installed v3 side by side with my older installations of v2.5 and FSX. I located v3's scenery.cfg file, opened it with notepad and copied over the data for my 100+ scenery addons from v2.5, including all the Orbx stuff. Apart from that I didn't copy one single file. Then adjusted the access paths in the ported-over scenery.cfg, adjusted the numbering of the scenery areas and I was back flying around in my scenery world in v3.

I GUARANTEE you have now stuffed your P3D installation. What about the ORBX specific textures? The exe.xml? dll.xml? Terrain.cfg?

And all the FTX *flow .dll's do not work with P3D V3. So what are you doing about the error messages? Vector DOES NOT WORK with v3. Not yet.

This is precisely what I mean.

If anyone wants to know why there's a dearth of people willing to help out, I'd suggest this sort of unproductive hostility is high on the list of factors to blame.

I have two pages running of lessons learned on porting add-ons to V3, and I doubt they'll be leaving my desk due to this aforementioned hostility and a sudden and inexplicable tide of sentiment in various forums that prohibits any discussion of the kinds of interoperability hacks we've shared together for years now.

I'm having a blast with this new version...not one crash in three intensive days of experimenting with all sorts of legacy add-ons.

Bob Scott

Bob, I'm with you...please check your PM...

I must confess to this community ..I am a liar...I said I would wait...but ....I am too old to wait....plus some of the comments made me think...here...so as I write this ....I am downloading Version 3...as I think I have seen more positives than negatives...and I will run it just stock and await the improvements that will come as we move forward...so no one can say I did not contribute to this hobby and also to Lockheed Martin...and I really do like P3D version 2.5

He hasn't stuffed up P3D if he hasn't copied any files. Worst case scenario he deletes the scenery.cfg and the sim rebuilds a new one putting him right back to ground zero.

...but yes of course you're absolutely right mallcott, there's a lot more to installing Orbx than simply copying scenery.cfg entries. Maybe I made it sound like that didn't matter which I shouldn't have.

I just wanted to say that since I downloaded the V3.....it is just Great and Lockheed Martin did a very good job with this....I now flying my maiden flite if you will with the PMDG 777 from Bombay-Mumbai to Beijing...and currently crossing the Alps..and I now need to learn how to add the ORBX and ASN into the V3....which I will..as there is lots of help over on Facebook....

Naturally I spent 2 hours hacking FTXG for v2.5 into v3 just yesterday, lol. I got REX4 going, some bits of HDEv2, Zinertek HD airport textures, the Carenado Navajo, and some random stuff I usually replace in the Texture folder.

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/new_p3dv3_04.jpg

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/new_p3dv3_05.jpg

I raped my P3D installation, I overwrote files with reckless abandon! Priority doesn't work with this new content management system when the files you're trying to prioritize from an external folder already exist within the P3D structure. It's not possible, you see a random mix of addon and default files in the sim, doesn't matter how you prioritize them in the .cfgs, overwrite appears the only option at this point. Maybe in a patch but we're not there yet. The Navajo is fine in an external folder since it doesn't attempt to override any default files.

I really do like this sim much better than v2.x. I especially like the new HDR, I had it turned off in v2.x but this seems a lot more real, brighter, etc.

Jim

It is scenic for me and got the route from "Route Finder"....Anway it is beautiful mountains covered with snow caps on the way to Beijing.. It would be better with ORBX which hopefully will be an add on soon.

What I was trying to point out is that the Alps are in Europe and you are flying in Asia .

John

What I was trying to point out is that the Alps are in Europe and you are flying in Asia .

John

Picky, picky, picky!

:)

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

If this refers to me...What are the mountains at Nepal...as I flew over them....I guess Mt Everest was what I should have said....but on a Harley trip 30 years ago...a guy said once you seen one mountain...you seen em all...LOL...I disagree....anyway....so I fail Geography....now...(But 64 years ago I got an A in that classHa)

Who cares Al - they were some big, beautiful humps!!

:)

Vic

P3D Rig

First I am surprised that there is not more activity on this site...Okay,,,,,,not intended to start anything....but ..my P3D has crashed, gone south .....since I tried the updates from ORBX and ASN.....and before I tried thes two updates....Ver 3 and Ver 2.5 worked really good....Ok... so now I lost 2.5 completely...Ver 3 did not work as it did...and this afternoon I tried to redo the ORBX and Ver 3 would not even load....so I have spent the past 3 hours to reload the Ver 3 and it is back on my machine and I have the PMDG planes at least some that I like to fly.....but ORBX is not working on P3D....I take full credit for screwing up but I tried to follow instructions....I should have stayed with what I had on Oct 1....but I could not resist going for all the new stuff out there.....so .....there are lots of problems with P3D with people other than me ....on facebook....but many others are having no problems at all....so I am saying beware with P3D if you don't know what you are doing like me...then don't do it....al v

Archived