True airspeed

bobvan

Back to the simple question. Can anyone point me to a file for

true airspeed gauge, either digital or analog, or both?

True airspeed is pitot pressure airspeed, adjusted for altitude and

local barometric pressure. We had true airspeed indicators in the

F-80's, T-33's and RF-84F aircraft I once serviced. Need for FS 2004.

If you have an XML airspeed indicator in the plane:

1. Create a new folder in the main GAUGES folder (True_Airspeed would be a logical name).

2. Extract the XML gauge out of the CAB (if it's in one) into your new folder.

3. Give the gauge a new name (adding true to the name would be logical).

4. Open the XML file by double clicking it. If the OS asks what program to use, choose Wordpad.

5. Extract any BMP files it lists in the code into your new folder as well.

6. In the gauge file, look for any of the following:

(A:AIRSPEED INDICATED, knots)

(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots)

and replace them with:

(A:AIRSPEED TRUE, knots)

7. Save the file - in Text Only format if it asks.

8. Now add the gauge to the panel.cfg file (this assumes you are adding it to a 2D panel; if adding to a VC you would usually need to replace an existing gauge with this one, using the same x, y, x_size and y_size numbers):

Gaugenn=foldername!gaugename, x, y, x_size, y_size

Let's say the last gauge line in the subpanel section you want to add to is gauge35, the folder name is True_Airspeed, and the gauge name is Airspeed_Indicator_True.xml. Then an example line would be:

gauge36=True_Airspeed!Airspeed_Indicator_True, 143, 164, 125, 125

This would place the gauge in the upper left corner of most large subpanels, and make it 125 pixels square. If it should be the same size as the indicated airspeed gauge use the same size numbers as in that line, and only change the x and y location values.

9. Save the panel.cfg file and (re)load the plane into FS.

10. Edit the 4 values until the gauge is where you want it and the correct size.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

There is a pop-up included in FS2004_Minipanel_V3.zip that contains a TAS gauge. It is the library here at Flightsim.

Personally, I put it in in place of the default minipanel. Best one I've ever seen. BUT just my opinion...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Further to Tom's excellent advice on XML gauge modification, the kludge I use is to modify the Tooltip ID or Help ID entry in the section of the XML gauge code.

I hate those gauges which, when you hover your cursor over them, just say "Airspeed" or "Altimeter" - well Duh! Tell me something I don't already know! And they can, quite easily if they are XML. It frustrates me that so many payware planes have .gau gauges which do this and can't be edited. Just find the or entry in your airspeed gauge and replace it with this:

IAS (%((A:Airspeed Indicated, knots))%!d! knots) - TAS (%((A:Airspeed True, knots))%!d! knots)

If you want to get historical, replace knots with mph.

If you'd prefer a Continental feel, try kph (kilometres per hour).

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• 4 weeks later...

Archived