My issue with Windows 10 upgrade

vgbaron

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I also find interesting is that the Enterprise version ($$$) HAS the ability to turn OFF auto updates for everything. I guess if you can afford the $$ you must be computer savvy enough to manage your own systems without help from MS.

I'll put it on a test machine just to get familiar with it but W10 will not go on any work or game system of mine until that ludicrous policy is changed.

And from what I am reading all over the web, I expect it will be modified some time after the RTM release - there are too many high level users upset with MS over this.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Well Windows Server has a server role for providing Windows Updates to clients. So even in most situations Enterprise customers never did get the updates directly from Microsoft. This time around they even have their own version of the Windows Store so it's up to admins to select which Apps get installed as well.

But somehow this last minute inclusion of Video drivers is probably to make sure they can roll out DirectX 12... 10.1 can't come soon enough.

Hey Vic! Help is on the way. It will be there as fast as your download! :cool:

Microsoft releases tool to allow you to block automatic Windows 10 updates

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-tool-to-allow-you-to-block-automatic-windows-10-updates

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Thanx Bill -

Well, at least they acknowledge they HAVE a problem. That's a step in the right direction. Altho the "fix" states it's for the insider preview, it will be interesting to see if it continues to function when RTM is on the street.

Sure hope so.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Hey Vic! Help is on the way. It will be there as fast as your download! :cool:

Microsoft releases tool to allow you to block automatic Windows 10 updates

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-tool-to-allow-you-to-block-automatic-windows-10-updates

Oh Goody! More new glitches reported & "fixed!" 10 is sounding more like XP every day. I'm sure all you early users will love it! I never liked finger prints all over my monitor screens anyway.

In a year or maybe two, I might consider 10. Assuming they haven't given up on it already. And assuming the non-automatic uploads is a long term across the board policy. Not just for those who pay the big bucks.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

That "troubleshooter" KB3073930 seems to be a bit buggy, at least the "blocker, wushowhide.

It seems MS decided to push Nvidia driver 353.54, even though Nvidia's own GeForce Experience app want to "upgrade" you to 353.30 which it says is "newer".

Where is the line I stand in to get my Win 10 tomorrow? Maybe better to wait until "Threshold 2" gets released, supposedly in October.

scott s.

Thanx Bill -

Well, at least they acknowledge they HAVE a problem. That's a step in the right direction. Altho the "fix" states it's for the insider preview, it will be interesting to see if it continues to function when RTM is on the street.

Sure hope so.

Vic

I think they'll have to.. we all know how bad the these drivers are and unless they want it called Windows 10 Blue Screen Edition they will.

Eerm, methinks all this weeping & wailing before the actual real release is a bit silly?

Is not the RTM out there already?

Not a problem or a glitch really, but a simple solution to much moaning & groaning.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I'm personally planning on just keeping Windows 8.1 for the forseeably future until there are games that I want to play that require DirectX 12.

Windows 10 adds no other benefits that I can see, and I actually prefer the start menu of 8.1.

i5 4670K - 16GB - GTX970 HOF - W7

• 1 month later...
Interesting thread. All pre-Windows 10 upgrade. By now however the real reason for Microsoft's "gift horse" has become very apparent. As the Trojans in Troy it comes with a price. It invades the system adequately to gather all data, based on sign in and keep extensive databases and prevent anyone from stopping it. More pervasive than cookies even. Still its only economically motivated. All the conspiracy theorists can relax. . for now at least. One does have to grudgingly admire Microsoft's marketing strategies. Smooth move on their part to make the upgrade free so people would rush out the gates and drag it into the city. I am with the crowd that resents having any control removed, so I may grouch about that and remove it, but all in all it was a nice upgrade even if it did invade my world of processors and capacitors and strip me of my authority. And in my system at least it handles FSX more efficiently. So welcome to the world of nonexistent privacy and shake hands with DHS. George Orwell move over. ;)

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Interesting thread. All pre-Windows 10 upgrade. By now however the real reason for Microsoft's "gift horse" has become very apparent. As the Trojans in Troy it comes with a price. It invades the system adequately to gather all data, based on sign in and keep extensive databases and prevent anyone from stopping it. More pervasive than cookies even. Still its only economically motivated. All the conspiracy theorists can relax. . for now at least. One does have to grudgingly admire Microsoft's marketing strategies. Smooth move on their part to make the upgrade free so people would rush out the gates and drag it into the city. I am with the crowd that resents having any control removed, so I may grouch about that and remove it, but all in all it was a nice upgrade even if it did invade my world of processors and capacitors and strip me of my authority. And in my system at least it handles FSX more efficiently. So welcome to the world of nonexistent privacy and shake hands with DHS. George Orwell move over. ;)

W7 still works fine! And you're right Microsoft has never ever given anything away!

I hear they're even "upgrading" unlicensed software. Anything to get that Trojan through the gates!

I just read where Pat (phantomtweak) is having serious problems with the latest "upgrade" of Steam as well. I'm glad my FSX came in a box! And no, I don't wear a tin hat.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

lol after what ive read..sorry but you could not PAY me to install win 10, I dont like having to reboot `100 times after installing a day long downloadss as in updates , i will wait till they gut al the problems fixed and its on one file If they dont get the issue fixed about them all in ur business i will never install it..i dont play crackled games, but if i did i bed damn they go into my hard drive and remove it, i was ticked off they put a icon on my task bar via slipping in a update on me

W7 still works fine! And you're right Microsoft has never ever given anything away!

Nope Microsoft never... ever... gave away anything. heck all that Anti-trust was over software that cost $1000s of dollars! You might rephrase that to Microsoft's never given anything away to non OS customers, but even that would be untrue.

lol after what ive read..sorry but you could not PAY me to install win 10, I dont like having to reboot `100 times after installing a day long downloadss as in updates , i will wait till they gut al the problems fixed and its on one file If they dont get the issue fixed about them all in ur business i will never install it..i dont play crackled games, but if i did i bed damn they go into my hard drive and remove it, i was ticked off they put a icon on my task bar via slipping in a update on me

Totally false information here folks. Try re-installing Win 7 and see how many reboots and updates you'll have to get. FYI, there is only one file to use to upgrade. Lets keep the facts, the facts here.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Totally false information here folks. Try re-installing Win 7 and see how many reboots and updates you'll have to get. FYI, there is only one file to use to upgrade. Lets keep the facts, the facts here.

Who said you need updates for Win 7 to operate? I turned my updates off many moons ago. They're pointless.

Win7 will go several years more at least for me.

Who said you need updates for Win 7 to operate? I turned my updates off many moons ago. They're pointless.

When you first run Win 7 there ARE updates that will be installed. Please don't tell us you are using the RTM version of Win 7. And no security updates for many moons? The hackers out there love your computer.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Your firewall will keep you safe no worries, that's what it's there for.

Port 80 however... boy..

basically you are the reason why Microsoft is making all these updates mandatory... you!

Microsoft may have slipped in more then just a icon...

How about a nice huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

RJ

Which was later confirmed to be their own IT departments had not blocked the updates properly, and were in fact requesting the update.

but be aware that even if you did NOT request an update, it will ( unless MS changes methodology) be downloaded to your system, just in case.

And for anyone who doesn't think that's true, I have six systems in our office that I maintain - I specifically disabled the "request 10" ability on all the systems. They ALL received the 3+G download anyway. Fortunately it is easy to remove and block from reappearing.

From what I can see, outside of the suspected privacy issues, W10 is a decent OS - too bad MS is being "cute". Someone high up is making some big decision errors IMHO.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived