Sim crashes shortly after landing, during taxi

TheRedBadger

Title says it all. I taxi for a few minutes after landing, then my sim crashes. I think this is because I have recently installed a lot of AI traffic, so it may be too much for the sim (almost all US airlines from WOAI). I already had a monster amount of WOAI files before, so I'm wondering if it's something else, or if I have finally pushed my computer to its limits.

This happened at 85% traffic, although the first time I experienced this was at Pittsburgh, and there were very few airplanes present (second time at La Guardia).

I'll test the sim with 0% traffic to see if that's it.

Carlos Si

When you say 'Crashes' do you mean it stops running and goes back to the desk top and/or do you get an error message or do you mean the aircraft just vanishes?

If it vanishes then it usually means there is no parking space at the airport, also does it do this with just one particular aircraft or at one particular airport?

You could try changing the amount of ai traffic to a lesser figure and see if that helps.

RedBadger, this sounds like the classic AI "missing texture" crash. See if you can replicate the crash at one of airports where it happened before, then disable each airline's traffic.bgl file in turn until the crashing stops to find the culprit. The traffic.bgl's will be in Scenery/World/Scenery and will be named something like: Traffic_000_WoA_British Airways_Su09.bgl. To disable the file temporarily, change .bgl to .xxx.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

When you say 'Crashes' do you mean it stops running and goes back to the desk top and/or do you get an error message or do you mean the aircraft just vanishes?

If it vanishes then it usually means there is no parking space at the airport, also does it do this with just one particular aircraft or at one particular airport?

You could try changing the amount of ai traffic to a lesser figure and see if that helps.

Legit crash, as in, FS9 brings a black screen and restarts.

RedBadger, this sounds like the classic AI "missing texture" crash. See if you can replicate the crash at one of airports where it happened before, then disable each airline's traffic.bgl file in turn until the crashing stops to find the culprit. The traffic.bgl's will be in Scenery/World/Scenery and will be named something like: Traffic_000_WoA_British Airways_Su09.bgl. To disable the file temporarily, change .bgl to .xxx.

Hmm I see. Why does it only happen at airports? How in depth do you know about why this happens? Does a missing texture mean there's a plane somewhere without a texture? I was suggested once to uncheck a box saying "render to texture" and that fixed the problem for a while. I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks!

Carlos Si

Most of your AI planes will "spawn" at airports, plus a few at 20 miles radius of your location in the air. One or more is missing a texture or all it's textures for some reason. If you disable the traffic.bgl's one by one you'll find out which airline package is causing the crash, then you can check which aircraft are used by that package and hopefully find out which texture is missing. Or you can leave that package disabled instead and re-enable the others of course.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Most of your AI planes will "spawn" at airports, plus a few at 20 miles radius of your location in the air. One or more is missing a texture or all it's textures for some reason. If you disable the traffic.bgl's one by one you'll find out which airline package is causing the crash, then you can check which aircraft are used by that package and hopefully find out which texture is missing. Or you can leave that package disabled instead and re-enable the others of course.

So should I just land at some airport, wait a few minutes, and then safely assume whichever package I deleted is the culprit?

Carlos Si

Yes, give it enough time for the crash to happen and if there's no crash, the last package you disabled/deleted had the missing texture.

Yes, give it enough time for the crash to happen and if there's no crash, the last package you disabled/deleted had the missing texture.

I think it was my AirTran livery. It was the most recent AI installed which served KPIT. The sim didn't crash.

Carlos Si

I think it was my AirTran livery. It was the most recent AI installed which served KPIT. The sim didn't crash.

Did you resolve your problem? I agree with the other friends, the most common reasons for this type of crash are related to missing or corrupted AI aircraft textures. But sometimes it can happen due to scenery design errors too. If you want, try do deactivate the add-on scenery where the crash is happen and go back to the airport on the same day/time. If the error is related to the scenery it should not happen anymore.

http://albysimsd.hostoi.com/

Freeware and other sceneries for FS2004.

Did you resolve your problem? I agree with the other friends, the most common reasons for this type of crash are related to missing or corrupted AI aircraft textures. But sometimes it can happen due to scenery design errors too. If you want, try do deactivate the add-on scenery where the crash is happen and go back to the airport on the same day/time. If the error is related to the scenery it should not happen anymore.

Let's reduce that to corrupt textures only. Missing textures will do no harm other than display a plain grey aircraft or building.

John

Well I no longer have that problem around, although I'm not sure how I can obtain a "non-corrupt" version of the textures for the AirTran woai.

It just happened again. Here's what the event viewer said.

Faulting application name: fs9.exe, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a208

Faulting module name: Weather.DLL, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a88e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000c61b

Faulting process id: 0x5fe0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0bd21b0c80d75

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\fs9.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\Weather.DLL

Report Id: 264f485a-2916-11e5-be97-b8763f7ca97c

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

How does one go about this problem?

Carlos Si

Well I no longer have that problem around, although I'm not sure how I can obtain a "non-corrupt" version of the textures for the AirTran woai.

It just happened again. Here's what the event viewer said.

Faulting application name: fs9.exe, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a208

Faulting module name: Weather.DLL, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a88e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000c61b

Faulting process id: 0x5fe0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0bd21b0c80d75

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\fs9.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\Weather.DLL

Report Id: 264f485a-2916-11e5-be97-b8763f7ca97c

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

How does one go about this problem?

Using any 3rd party Weather Software (Active Sky, REX, FSrealWx)?

Can errant AI or their associated Textures affect the Weather.dll Module?

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

The Event Viewer just shows which module was active at the time of the crash, it may or may not be that the module was the cause of the crash. I have downloaded the Air Tran WOAI package and it looks fine to me, so that can be re-installed since another crash has happened without it. I think Albybz has a valid point about a possible scenery conflict. If the airports where the previous crashes happened are add-ons, try unticking them in your scenery list one at a time and see if the crash happens at the default version. We can then check for textures and scenery .bgl's within those sceneries for possible conflicts.

Using any 3rd party Weather Software (Active Sky, REX, FSrealWx)?

Can errant AI or their associated Textures affect the Weather.dll Module?

Alan :pilot:

Nah I'm using the default weather.

The Event Viewer just shows which module was active at the time of the crash, it may or may not be that the module was the cause of the crash. I have downloaded the Air Tran WOAI package and it looks fine to me, so that can be re-installed since another crash has happened without it. I think Albybz has a valid point about a possible scenery conflict. If the airports where the previous crashes happened are add-ons, try unticking them in your scenery list one at a time and see if the crash happens at the default version. We can then check for textures and scenery .bgl's within those sceneries for possible conflicts.

This has happened at so many airports. It happened at La Guardia, Pittsburgh and DFW last. I can understand why LGA may have crashed (I installed a scenery for NYC city), and PIT I had recently added an AFCAD file, but why did it happen at DFW? I've had this scenery longer than all the others and I normally don't experience crashes at this airport. Why only now? It can't just be the scenery affecting my simulator, if that's even the real cause.

Carlos Si

Well now it sounds like a memory leak causing an OOM crash. Could you try running process monitor (procmon) while running FS to see of any filename(s) are listed repeatedly?

Event Viewer shows everything loading with filters turned off. Icons for warning, cautions, etc., are added to the display. Therefore you have a trail of both normal and problem items leading up to your crash.

Exception code: 0xc0000005 means that something tried to access system protected ram so an "exception" was thrown so Win totally did not crash.

Process Explorer (my preference) is part of the sysinternals suite. The utilities home is here.

https://technet.microsoft.com/pt-pt/sysinternals/bb842062

Process Explorer is at:

https://technet.microsoft.com/pt-pt/sysinternals/bb896645

It can be set up to show ram availability, virtual ram paging, etc. Note that in the process listing you may have a repeating name such as svchost.exe. Hovering the mouse over that name (first column) will show the full command line and you'll note that the same process was called with different parameters showing usually what called it. Same with .dlls.

If you have a dual monitor system run Process Explorer on the second monitor and keep an eye on physical and virtual ram being used and available. I only set up the top pane view.

You can suspend, kill, and restart processes here by right clicking on them but there is no prevention on restarts and killing of processes that might take down your system like anti-virus apps which are tied into the Windows core.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry for disappearing on this thread; I got lazy since the problem wasn't really happening anymore xp .

Well now it sounds like a memory leak causing an OOM crash. Could you try running process monitor (procmon) while running FS to see of any filename(s) are listed repeatedly?

I will get to this ASAP.

Event Viewer shows everything loading with filters turned off. Icons for warning, cautions, etc., are added to the display. Therefore you have a trail of both normal and problem items leading up to your crash.

Exception code: 0xc0000005 means that something tried to access system protected ram so an "exception" was thrown so Win totally did not crash.

Process Explorer (my preference) is part of the sysinternals suite. The utilities home is here.

https://technet.microsoft.com/pt-pt/sysinternals/bb842062

Process Explorer is at:

https://technet.microsoft.com/pt-pt/sysinternals/bb896645

It can be set up to show ram availability, virtual ram paging, etc. Note that in the process listing you may have a repeating name such as svchost.exe. Hovering the mouse over that name (first column) will show the full command line and you'll note that the same process was called with different parameters showing usually what called it. Same with .dlls.

If you have a dual monitor system run Process Explorer on the second monitor and keep an eye on physical and virtual ram being used and available. I only set up the top pane view.

You can suspend, kill, and restart processes here by right clicking on them but there is no prevention on restarts and killing of processes that might take down your system like anti-virus apps which are tied into the Windows core.

So should I do Process Explorer instead of Procmon?

Keep in mind I'm not a computer whiz :confused:.

Carlos Si

If it happens again I would run them both, just to be sure.

Ehh I'm pretty lost as to what steps I should take with Process Explorer ?_? . You mentioned a process being called differently, er..

A lot of processes running can be re-entrant meaning one loaded process may shared by different applications by the command line calling it will be different.

Here's an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1fu61hr4olq4x3/procexplorer-duplicate%20process%20names.jpg?dl=0

Hovering the mouse of the process name shows what it was called by.

Yes, it's technical but that's frequently required to examine what's happening.

The status line at the window bottom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgjmg0ajdavlfza/procexplorer%20status%20line%20-%20ram%20usage.jpg?dl=0

shows full use and user use in percent of physical ram. FS does not like to address paged (virtual) ram so having quite a bit of physical ram available space left is desirable. If there is a memory leak, in use ram would really climb.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived