Ram upgrade

will upgrading my ram from DDR3 1666 to DDR3 2133 or 2400 make fsx run any smoother and get more FPS ?

Thanks

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

Interesting question. With your processor & system, you should be in good shape already. Personally when I built the last computer I used the 2400 & I fly pretty dense scenery almost all the time with the sliders at max. But I also did some other things like add a different board and a SSHD at the same time. So I can't say which helped where.

Bang for the buck I assume the SSHD is probably as good a single change as you can get. But that's just one man's opinion.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

so what would be the greatest difference maker in terms of frames per secd ?

SSD for fsx

or

upgrade RAM to 2133

or

upgrade video card

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

so what would be the greatest difference maker in terms of frames per secd ?

SSD for fsx

or

upgrade RAM to 2133

or

upgrade video card

Of those options, the only one that will have an appreciable effect on frame rates is the GPU, and this is if the CPU isn't the bottleneck. SSDs will improve loading times, but will have no effect on frame rates.

Of those options, the only one that will have an appreciable effect on frame rates is the GPU, and this is if the CPU isn't the bottleneck. SSDs will improve loading times, but will have no effect on frame rates.

Yes, I'm running a nice GPU. So that probably helps too. But it appears he's already running a good GPU. Can't say I know the specs but with 4g, it should be fine. And a 4790 is a good CPU too.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Yes, I'm running a nice GPU. So that probably helps too. But it appears he's already running a good GPU. Can't say I know the specs but with 4g, it should be fine. And a 4790 is a good CPU too.

It's a decent mid-range GPU. However, it isn't because of the amount of RAM. The main indicator of performance for Nvidia GPUs is the number of CUDA cores or unified shaders. Comparing video cards by looking at the amount of RAM is liking picking the fastest aircraft based on the size of the fuel tanks. A GeForce GTX 970 would be much more powerful.

will upgrading my ram from DDR3 1666 to DDR3 2133 or 2400 make fsx run any smoother and get more FPS ?

Thanks

You need to overclock the processor's memory controller for it to have any affect. Right now your 4790K is setup for 1600mhz which is it's max speed before overclock. I don't overclock so I went with a straight 1600mhz set and enjoyed the savings :)

Archived