Downloads blocked as unsafe

• Founder
3 hours ago, Crispy136 said:

Yep, its back.  Although it did disappear for a while.  The exact same files continue to download successfully from other sites, so this problem can only be cause by this site.

Not sure why you say that... This site has not changed. If this site was safe months ago it's the same today. Whatever is changing is external to the web site. It would be interesting to find out exactly what *is* changing.

22 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

Not sure why you say that... This site has not changed. If this site was safe months ago it's the same today. Whatever is changing is external to the web site. It would be interesting to find out exactly what *is* changing.

I occasionally get nil file errors after I upload to Flightsim.com, so I always do a test download for any new livery to make sure the upload is valid.  When I uploaded the livery below yesterday, I downloaded it straight away and the livery was blocked as unsafe.  Hence my comment above.  When I tried the exact same livery today it downloaded it without error.   I use Chrome on WIndows 11, so it may be that one of those 2 is somehow the cause.  Chrome config is set to block unsafe downloads, and that is not something I would ever turn off.  But not sure if Chrome relies on WIndows 11 to tell it that a download is unsafe, so either could be the culprit.  It's not related to only new files, as when I initially encountered the error I also tried a number of new and old downloads, both mine and from other authors, and all MSFS files were blocked.  But FSX files downloaded without error at the same time MSFS files were being blocked.  So it may be there is something in the structure that is triggering this error.  I also upload the the same files to another site and only encounter this problem with Flightsim.com.  You mentioned in another post that Flightsim.com file are stored on Amazon AWS servers.  Could it be that there be some disassociation between those servers and whatever Chrome or Windows uses to identify an unsafe download? Then Amazon runs an update and all is working again?

Crispy136

• Founder

I don't have answers for any of the things you brought up. I also don't know about "Amazon AWS servers"; that wasn't me who mentioned those.

Instead of speculating here, I suggest you do some web search on this topic and see if you can find the real reason it's happening. Then please share your findings with the rest of us.

That particular download is pretty new!  I just tried it and got the block, also!  I might try again in the next few days to see how it goes.

Screenshot 2024-05-12 5.39.50 AM.jpg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

2 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

Instead of speculating here, I suggest you do some web search on this topic and see if you can find the real reason it's happening

I don't know why it is for me to find a solution, as it only happens on Flightsim.com?  Flightsim.com is not my responsibility.  The exact same files downloaded on the same PC from another site using the same browser are not reported as malicious, ever.  If it was something I am doing then it would happen on other sites for the same files, or even for other sites for different files, but it does not.  Other people also experience the problem, so it is not an isolated event happening to one person. 

And it just happened again.  Files that successfully downloaded an hour ago now are reported as unsafe.  It's a real puzzle.

image.png.eb96f8f913bc8f7881ba4525d75ff98a.png

And here is the comment I mentioned about Amazon servers.  Sorry that I credited this to you when it was Adrian.

image.png.16e9dd4f7e9ce123ff281e0a7e45d371.png

Crispy136

In that popup menu clicking the arrow should get you the option to allow or block the download.  (I have the same issue ...only on this site.)

• Founder
50 minutes ago, Crispy136 said:

I don't know why it is for me to find a solution, as it only happens on Flightsim.com?

Given that not everyone experiences this problem, it appears that your choice of browser is at least partially responsible. What I am suggesting is that it would be useful for you to better understand how your chosen browser works, i.e. *why* is your browser claiming some files are dangerous, when you know they are not.

I think doing some research on this would be a better use of your time than continuing to post about it here. The same goes for others participating in this thread.

I don't use Google Chrome, but results are exactly the same with Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge: files are reported as malicious and blocked when downloaded from your site, and same files work like a charm when downloaded from somewhere else.

I hate to say this, but if you refuse to investigate, the conclusion is obvious: I won't download from your site anymore.

• Like 1
Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

5 minutes ago, danbiosca said:

I hate to say this, but if you refuse to investigate, the conclusion is obvious: I won't download from your site anymore.

This is the conclusion which most members have already arrived at; nobody wants to download a clearly flagged virus.

• Like 1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

2 minutes ago, tiger1962 said:

download a clearly flagged virus

Therein lies the rub.  There is no virus, something the software here is doing is perceived as malicious, or at least suspicious, by our browsers.  Everything I have downloaded here the past few months has been blocked as containing a virus, I override the block then scan the download, it is clean;  a couple of times I have uploaded the files for an online scan ...all clean.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jgf said:

I override the block then scan the download, it is clean;  a couple of times I have uploaded the files for an online scan ...all clean.

Not many people will go to that trouble; they'll take the warning at face value, cancel the download and get file from elsewhere if possible.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• Founder
1 hour ago, danbiosca said:

I don't use Google Chrome, but results are exactly the same with Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge: files are reported as malicious and blocked when downloaded from your site, and same files work like a charm when downloaded from somewhere else.

Just so it's clear, it's not my web site. I sold it almost two years ago. These days I'm a user pretty much like you.

As a test, I just tried a number of downloads using Firefox and then Chrome. I got no reports of "malicious files", the downloads went exactly as they should. So why is it that others are getting problems? We're using the same web site but getting different results.

32 minutes ago, tiger1962 said:

Not many people will go to that trouble; they'll take the warning at face value, cancel the download and get file from elsewhere if possible.

Exactly.

This is no speculating: I think there's enough evidence that there's some kind of glitch in this website, so it's not up to the users to investigate the problem, but to the administrators. If not for other reasons, for their own interest.

• Like 1
Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I downloaded about a dozen Files last night from here, and half of them had the Warning message pop up. The other half were just fine.

Those of us who have been around long enough know full well that the majority of Files stored here are just fine and (hopefully 😋) have no 

abnormalities within them. I haven't seen any hanky panky going on when I put a File from here in my Sim.

Some have the Issue, some don't. Why it happens? That's the $64K question...

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Some have the Issue, some don't. Why it happens? That's the $64K question...

The MSFS library files are affected, other libraries seem to be unaffected. For those of us who contribute to the MSFS libraries, this is as embarrassing as it is frustrating.

All my downloads are for FS2004, and all have been "infected" recently. 

A similar situation on another site some years ago was fixed by some behind the scenes legerdemain, but I've no idea what.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jgf said:

All my downloads are for FS2004, and all have been "infected" recently. 

Thanks for clarifying - so that's two separate libraries affected for definite.

A non issue for me. I have been getting this..

image.png.2d8030dec27d3b9044727de64a8bd33f.png

and when I click on the three dots, I get this..

image.png.f25614d21879a48463d1a83ad335ad26.png

& I 'Keep' it.

This has been happening for the last year or so, & I'm so used to it, 

It's obviously a 'False Positive'.

Not a big deal at all. A year ago, I checked the download for any virus's or any other issues, & now I accept the extra 2 click as simply 'one of those things' with PC's.

I don't want users who follow my work to have to decide if they should ignore a dangerous download warning. PC security is there for a reason and ignoring defeats the purpose of having it. Either you turn it off altogether or you take notice of its messages. I've taken Nels comments onboard and have found a solution that solves the problem for my uploads.
https://www.flightsim.com/profile/269250-crispy136/content/?type=downloads_file

Crispy136