New PC can I setup MSFS

I bought the Standard editiion (Disk Version) early last year, had problems so put it on back burner, I recently built another PC and at the moment running FSX, FS9 and Xplane11 & XP12 no probs.

Is there a problem installing the disk version, I seem to remember it was the Xbox thing last time?

Col. 

Yes there are problems with the disk version, the main one being that you still need to download all the sim updates anyway so you might as well install the latest online version from Microsoft or Steam.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Don't have the disc version, however, if you have linked it to your account (maybe done during your previous attempts) I think you can just go to the Microsoft Store app and install it directly from there. You will still need to have disc 1 in the drive to fly though.

https://helpdesk.aerosoft.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4574437978653-Does-the-boxed-version-of-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-include-a-download-or-Steam-key

16 minutes ago, loki said:

Don't have the disc version, however, if you have linked it to your account (maybe done during your previous attempts) I think you can just go to the Microsoft Store app and install it directly from there. You will still need to have disc 1 in the drive to fly though.

https://helpdesk.aerosoft.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4574437978653-Does-the-boxed-version-of-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-include-a-download-or-Steam-key

So after all of the hullabaloo from MS about DiskSafe after W8.0/8.1, they went right back to selling FlightSim on DVD's? And you still need a Disk in the Drive to run the Sim?

smmfhuifo... 🙄  

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

23 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

So after all of the hullabaloo from MS about DiskSafe after W8.0/8.1, they went right back to selling FlightSim on DVD's? And you still need a Disk in the Drive to run the Sim?

smmfhuifo... 🙄  

Microsoft wasn't going to offer it on disc until Aerosoft pushed for it. Apparently they saw enough demand from people who wanted something physical to put on the shelf. Given the nature of the sim, having a disc in the drive isn't even the biggest issue. It still needs to download the uploads when you install, so the discs don't save you from the need for an internet connection.

As for the security issues, presumably the MSFS discs use a more modern and supported DRM scheme, not the old one they dropped support for (SafeDisc/SecuROM).

• Like 1