The 2024 Australian Air Rally - The FBO

TomPenDragon

1 hour ago, MAD1 said:

PhrogPhlyer, don't add random heli's, you could ask us, the Gaggle, to choose one and give you a pic. (I can't fly one, but could give it a go, whatever, we could simply get the pic via a static positioning in the air etc. There is one in the FS2002 fleet, so I'd use that.) And yes, poor overworked PhrogPhlyer, your artwork is so popular that it will never end ...

Swayed by the wisdom of the Mad One, I'm calling on the Gaggle participants to send a helicopter pic, similar to the fixed wing ones previously created, so that a rotary wing montage Air Race poster may be published. 

If it's got rotors, its all good.

Send them on the thread or to me through PM. Thanks in advance!

I do ask one thing, NO TILT-ROTORs. As cool as the Osprey looks, it's still not been approved for full production (fix and small batch runs for years). We'll keep killing service members until the next political shiny penny takes its place. Yes it's a personal thing, that I may explain at an appropriate time.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, Sirrus said:

I note the US registered aircraft do not have to display their tail numbers/registrations on their wings.

No they do not, and they must be at least 12" tall (some exceptions allow for as small as 3").

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, Melo965 said:

Beautiful!

I agree, the Bell JetRanger is absolutely gorgeous.

That is what you meant, right?

phrog x 2.jpg

Just now, taoftedal said:

Congratulations on winning the Combined!  Well done indeed! 

Thank you! After the AAR run and all the bad weather, I'm really happy with the Eastern run with its fair skies with following winds.

phrog x 2.jpg

7 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

There was a JetRanger in that picture?   I missed that too!  Where?

Sun must have been in your eyes.

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, jgf said:

Currently working on a truly unlimited event.  Two unique airports some distance apart (though the distance is less than my US caps tour), both on coastlines.   Start from either and fly to the other, use any aircraft you like - prop, jet, commercial, military, GA, water based or land based, even airships (if you have the patience), and any route that works for you.  Only restriction is you must make at least three stops along the way, anywhere you like;  for water based aircraft the stops must be somewhere you would expect to find fuel and lodging.

Sounds like an awesome Idea! 

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

24 minutes ago, jgf said:

One of Jordan Moore's best - the 412PE.

Thank you!

For consistency, please submit something similar to this with the aircraft facing to the right.

jgf, I'll fix yours, so dont worry about redoing.

image.thumb.jpeg.b234f586fdabede4c826bfc054dbd25e.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

1 minute ago, jgf said:

Now the registration number is backwards

I know, that's what I'll fix, just like with the airplane you submitted for the first poster.

phrog x 2.jpg

Starting off with a quote from TomPenDragon:

"let me remind our listeners that, the way the rules are written, the first team to reach Bankstown with a CV of 0 wins."

On this Monday after the Superbowl in the USA, I decided to fly all 4 flights today to complete the Southern Route.

Here are the first two flights.

Tocumwal (YTOC) to Narrandera (YNAR) to Parkes (YPKS)

readytostart.thumb.jpg.4a6f2d1d480fc705ba828a54a07b6dce.jpg
ready to start engine.

startingtakeoffroll.thumb.jpg.b7ccf9678a5b86389647dbed61dd8236.jpg
Starting takeoff roll.

leavingtocumwal.thumb.jpg.f8a64e27ec7c38d3cc54ebb62fd95e63.jpg
Leaving Tocumwal behind.

hugelake.thumb.jpg.7a779e5078ee2bd165a96ab2dc5fe030.jpg
This huge lake is Lake Urana.  An easy splash and go for Kit in the Sealand.

halfway.thumb.jpg.3866ab7a222f0472673933554fec5255.jpg
Half way there.

exteriorview.thumb.jpg.9a0acd4e07c0e745be639ac7cea65b3c.jpg
Exterior view.  Some clouds ahead but a great day for flying.

approaching20VOR-80.thumb.jpg.36c889e2b3a4672878f7174b6d57f2e1.jpg
Approaching 20VOR waypoint.  The airport is off screen to the left.  About to turn 60 degrees left and line up for runway 32 at Narrandera.

finalrunway32.thumb.jpg.1caca4d5d89674c048330ae217f7b3f1.jpg
Final for runway 32.

ontimetouchdown.thumb.jpg.4989c76de5135d0fb877eec7513985c2.jpg
On time touchdown.

parkedatNarrandera.thumb.jpg.e99b6fea7f2bb078fdd27621779d7891.jpg

Parked at Narrandera.  Pretty quiet here.  Just a quick stop to refuel, grab a snack, and stretch my legs before the next flight.

companyenginestaarted.thumb.jpg.5440afda475a0a498732332af6731312.jpg
While I was getting my snack another aircraft pulled up.  Refuelled and engine started for the next leg.

gravelrunwaytakeoff.thumb.jpg.a65c78d1f57be19f5d503d95d9d0cd5a.jpg
Based on the current wind direction, the takeoff was from the gravel runway (05).

climbingoutoncourse.thumb.jpg.871e7ae0ffabc94ce2c1bc2c7e66db0e.jpg
Climbing out and on course.

interestingridges.thumb.jpg.1232176b3eff2df569ff4325fdc6760e.jpg
Passing interesting ridges below.

keepinganeyeontheweather.thumb.jpg.87416937894654ac093c97326a921ece.jpg
Keeping an eye on the weather.  So far clouds are not at my altitude.

moreclouds2.thumb.jpg.4ca54833dee4db8802fbcdffae4666b0.jpg
More clouds nearby, but no factor.

abouthalfway.thumb.jpg.dec972dfbc095459ca0b7cde13487142.jpg
About half way there.

clouds3.thumb.jpg.3efd0b76d2cadf40138e6ed96f7f1f86.jpg
Those clouds look worse, but able to avoid them easily.

exteriorview5.thumb.jpg.3a77338563d8f64b206bb29dd02d0945.jpg
Exterior view.

8minutesacgleaming.thumb.jpg.e8ddfa593be1304d7d186515695c7d32.jpg
8 minutes to go.  Really like how the Chippie gleams in the sun.

turnslightrightatPKSWF.thumb.jpg.9d29abc5af8c36811da0416f7dc94c79.jpg
Approaching waypoint PKSWF.  Airport in sight under right wingtip.  At PKSWF I made a 12 degree turn to the right to get lined up.

lineduprwy042minutes.thumb.jpg.89bf7c175bc3e6bb3b79c7309b1d0caa.jpg
Lined up for runway 04.  2 minutes to go.

finalrwy04.thumb.jpg.1a8bef85033db9c357c69d72e49c11f3.jpg
Short final for runway 04.  Touched down on time. V0.

ParkedatParkes.thumb.jpg.b171f6ccaff7400e912f1ca1b5a01ac8.jpg
Parked at Parkes. (say that three times fast) 

The only fudge I did before the next flight was to wind the FSX daytime clock back some.  Did not want to be landing in Bathurst or Bankstown in the dark.  Two more flights to go!  🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Melo965 said:

The only fudge I did before the next flight was to wind the FSX daytime clock back some.  Did not want to be landing in Bathurst or Bankstown in the dark.

Totally understandable.

The chippie always looks great, in the air or on the ramp

Lovin' the sun glint.

22 minutes ago, Melo965 said:

8minutesacgleaming.thumb.jpg.e8ddfa593be1304d7d186515695c7d32.jpg

phrog x 2.jpg

6 hours ago, jgf said:

even airships

Helium Heads Unite!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.77b7c1e331d2a1fce991efa23bfef2c2.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

As a non-starter, I don't know if this applies to me but here's my two helicopters used in preparation for the rally.

image.thumb.jpeg.f252230e6b85714fd607555db1e41dd8.jpeg

I nearly got a ride in the RW in this. It was in the helipad on the 192 and I could have had a flight in her, but my lady wouldn't drive up to KISM to come and collect me. Sulk!

image.thumb.jpeg.fbd187286b7510b7cb7cc336dc974ae4.jpeg

A Bell 407, a Jet Ranger on steroids. Wonderful!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sirrus said:

As a non-starter, I don't know if this applies to me but here's my two helicopters used in preparation for the rally.

Sirrus, thank you.

YES this applies to all participants, whether one flew a helicopter or not.

And these are  great pics, headed for the poster.

phrog x 2.jpg

34 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

Oh yes, flying some of them is an experience to be savoured

My "real" logbook has two flights piloting a GZ-20A. (N10A Columbia).

I had a friend who was a senior Goodyear pilot, and when they would do maintenance in the USMC hangars I had two opportunities to pilot the blimp when repositioning to Long Beach. One set of controls, so my logged flight time.

image.jpeg.29297ff9426be323e6cb2617b3ba95b3.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

The Daily Update

(Cue “She Sells Sanctuary”)

EP: “Hello and welcome to the Update for the 26th of February, 2024. There are four days left now in the race, for those of us whose watches are still set to a time zone west of Australia. In Australia, there are, as of now, only three days left. I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya. Let’s look at the Leaderboard:

GAAGLB226.thumb.jpg.5421cdd81711d19e076ba75f219107ee.jpg

“With a +1 to Townsville and a perfect run to Cairns, ViperPilot2 has completed the 3,500-mile Combined run with a +3. This time will also count for the Eastern Route, which he finishes with a +2 CV. He is solidly in second place in both the Eastern and the Combined. That was some very solid flying. VP2!

“He is joined in Cairns by ScottishMike and Suzanne, who have completed their Free Flight of the Eastern Route in their Aerostar. Are they up for a Timed run in the waning days of the Gaggle, or will they spend the rest of the week sightseeing in the great hot north?

“Bosss has been having fun in a Beriev, one of the few jet-powered amphibians to ever see production. I’m sure his run to Rockhampton was a little quicker than it would have been in an S-38.

“Melo caught up on some of his PIREPs, and officially took his name off of the Combined. He has already won the 1976 Australian Air Race already, and is in first place among the finishers of the Eastern Route so far.

“And, after a marathon day yesterday that saw Sara complete the ‘76 nonstop, I’m taking a day in Sydney to recover before taking a run at the Eastern Route.

“Two brief administrative bits before I go: First, Spirit of the Race Award nominations, for whoever cares to make one, must be posted to the FBO no later than end-of-day, 27 February. Voting will take place on the 28th of February if we have more than the current one nominee: Bossspecops.

“Second, racers may set times up until 23:59:59 on 29 February, however to be included on the final Leaderboard, the Timing and Scoring Official must receive at least a PM report of your times by 06:30 A.M. CST – same time as Chicago – on the 1st of March.

“And this concludes our Daily Update. I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya, signing off. Have a great flying day.”

• Like 1

I am recommending Melo965 for the Spirit of the Race award. His efforts, trials, and tribulations on getting his  de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk to Australia, and them the commitment of staying with her for the whole race, through thick and thin, shows a spirit that is commendable.

It is not easy to recommend someone, as everyone has shown the Spirit of the Race to such an outstanding degree.

This has been a long and challenging run, for which all participants may share some pride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

58 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I am recommending Melo965 for the Spirit of the Race award. His efforts, trials, and tribulations on getting his  de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk to Australia, and them the commitment of staying with her for the whole race, through thick and thin, shows a spirit that is commendable.

It is not easy to recommend someone, as everyone has shown the Spirit of the Race to such an outstanding degree.

This has been a long and challenging run, for which all participants may share some pride.

I'm with you there too, having to rustle up a C-133 of all types, to even get to Oz shows some initiative for sure! But I felt I couldn't nominate Melo really as we're pals from way back, so I'm glad you did, and I'll just add my agreement.

I'm inclined to nominate TomPenDragon (aka Elias Pacheco 🙂) for just EXISTING, as well as coming up with large chunks of the whole idea, AND for giving us the daily updates. 

Just now I'm TRYING to fly the Rockhampton - Mackay leg but without much success, as when the aircraft gets airborne it just vanishes! All I can see are the nav lights flying along on their own with no airframe. I tried swapping aircraft with the same result, so goodness knows what going on. 😒

(Where's the 'banging head on the wall' emoticon when you need it?)

Regards

Kit