The 2024 Australian Air Rally - The FBO

TomPenDragon

On 1/24/2024 at 7:02 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Planned for 6+23 flight time, but with the poor weather I logged 7+10 hours (47 minutes more/slower than planned). Not the best race time ...

Well done PP ... a long day.  I think you deserve a rest ... maybe even a shower!  👍

• Like 2

Polishing and prepping, fuel 50%.

Next stop Ceduna (YCDU). Distance 298 nm. cruise 140 Kts. So 2hrs 8 minutes + 4 mins for climb and 4 mins for descent and landing. Expected time 2 hrs. 16 mins.

Weather report:

Weatherreport.jpg.b45b0e4ed9e64904b2c6ae79c66658f9.jpg

Beautiful setting full moon in Forrest and passengers are here early and silent.

Settingmoon.thumb.jpg.39f5d8876b91192ed19072eb8202fcfc.jpg

Taxiing to rwy.

Powereduotogo.thumb.jpg.0e22309d8b01994a6b7cd21bdca0197d.jpg

Lined up and ready to go:

Linedupandredytogo.thumb.jpg.3bc29e3bce51310978736758a39ab273.jpg

Take off 9:03 That 13 knot crosswind catching me as soon as the wheels left the tarmac (mental note: pay attention to the forecast, don't just glance at it then forget!)

Takeoff9_03.thumb.jpg.a490c260e13bbb50a274db4a212c3cd0.jpg

Settling into the cruise; time 9:06, 3000', 140 kts, 2350 rpm, 18 HG, 14 gallons/hour. Soon be in South Australia heading for the coast:

Headingforcoast1.thumb.jpg.f2907e38499c600be8ecc7bf4c8710e3.jpg

Haze developing. I wondered what weather station we were passing. It was Nullarbor Motel. I imagined the motel from Psycho with a met station in the back yard. The vis had indeed dropped from 45 Km. to 14 Km.

NullarborMotel4.jpg.1d7f4248d9db7803d5a025c6ea9c3ef8.jpg

Hazedeveloping3.thumb.jpg.9bf8b774e38cbe91035cd9a6075e297d.jpg

I had noticed discrepancies before between headings Sky Vector came up with, FS9 map showed and those calculated from my maps. Sky Vector heading 103 degrees, using FS9 map heading was 110 degrees, and using my map 118 degrees. Probably as a result of different cartographic projections. I was in FS9 so took it's map and adjusted to a 110 degree heading pointing to Cape Adieu. The name reminded me of my two passengers, very quiet so far. It would have been appropriate at this point to shove them out bidding them adieu. However the bureaucracy and related paperwork involved in explaining missing persons put me off.

Map6discreps.jpg.0211b4a18c9f5d7b9ce8edbede24a1c8.jpg

Soon be crossing that hazy coastline:

Coastinhaze5.thumb.jpg.d9021831f38cba8187e1fb9fb53f5d05.jpg

Out over the Great Australian bight. The prof and Willie both complaining that we were not following the coastline.

“We don't have the fuel.” I explained “have to take the most direct route to Ceduna.” To some extent this was true, to make up time I had pushed the cruise to 155 Kts not realising how much this was impacting fuel consumption.

GreatAustralianBight7.jpg.940fe516fdc1b21fb6b8406005193f77.jpg

“We're not far from the coastline”; I pointed out the window:

Notfarcoast8.thumb.jpg.5bd44e7a4e77f6da1e7ff06e330a157c.jpg

“Far enough that we can't spot anything on the ground.”

“We'll soon be back over land.” I laughed. Don't cross the pilot he holds the yoke! I thought to myself.

Soon after Cape Adieu we were indeed back over land. And only a few minutes on both the Prof and Willie pointed at the ground: “There look!” Willie shouted shaking my shoulder. “Turn back and make a low pass. “No can do! Not enough fuel.” here are the co-ordinates. I told the prof adding “We are not far from Ceduna, you can come back under your own steam and explore for as long as you like.” Not realising how true my statement was, I checked the fuel, only 6% remaining.

It was one of those bum twitching moments.

I immediately throttled back. Consumption down to 8.1 gallons per hour, just above landing speed. Where was the airfield? It couldn't be far. I hoped dead reckoning wasn't going to prove it's name today.

Landingfumes1st.thumb.jpg.5bab30895de4a3456a12ddc7afc8e175.jpg

At least I knew we were lined up fairly well for rwy 110. Where was it? Started a gentle descent to 500 ft. from 3000ft. That would also save fuel. Finally the landing light shone in the haze, both fuel gauges at 0:

Gaugeson010.thumb.jpg.5cd45f7c45cc638f4efb1def7c0d2cce.jpg

Lining up for final. Ctrl Z showing 1% fuel remaining:

1percent11.thumb.jpg.0812947f06d075e1ab21fd7dd3e5b62d.jpg

And down safely, hoping my trousers were not filled with the smelly stuff. Time 11:12.

DowninCeduna12.thumb.jpg.41198c20f97ddb3b43882bcd6079e182.jpg

Seven minutes early and feeling 10 years older. I hoped I had enough fuel to taxi to parking.

SafelydownCeduna.thumb.jpg.2404a8447b4fbf08e674ab206a7f0c4e.jpg

We did, and I checked fuel: 2.4 Lbs in each tank, less than a gallon between them. Not worth gaining 7 minutes for!

The only silver lining; Platypus and the Wombat had departed saying they would not be coming back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottishMike said:

Platypus and the Wombat had departed saying they would not be coming back.

Coming in on a wing and a prayer ... potentially a bit costly ... losing the Platypus and Wombat ... priceless!

• Like 1

The Nullarbor grew on me each day of my stay.  The accommodations were exactly as defaid described earlier and the hospitality as advertised.  Forrest is really a very special place.  Time however to move on and Adelaide/Parafield will be the next stop.

Forrest_1.jpg.e745dc5bbed6e6c4d53b74f76eaa1e81.jpg

Forrest_2.jpg.bddb757f1b81703902a2775a270a841c.jpg

YFRT> YCDU> YPAG> YPPF is the flight plan and a perfectly clear sky should bring out the stars tonight.  Taking a cue from SMike I’m hoping to identify some of the southern constellations ... especially the ‘Crux’ (Southern Cross) which I hope to see for the very first time.

Leg_2.jpg.f410d6301a26d80fe9a162198df354a8.jpg

With my camera at the ready the Twin Comanche climbs into the evening sky without complaint, and soon we are on course and at altitude (7,500’) en route to Ceduna.  I give control over to Otto ... turn down the cockpit lighting ... pull out the star chart and with my Flat White in hand start to look around.

Parafield_1.jpg.09f11ced1591e2f50717dc804c5b35a2.jpg

As we enter South Australia little twilight remains as the moon begins to rise.  A full moon on this ‘Australia Day’ is not going to help my stargazing but no matter ... I think I may still be able to pick out some of my old friends and find some new.

Stars_1.jpg.6740120a91d0e8a406b3229a2a58efad.jpg

Stars_2.jpg.e32c16982c0c6fd9e30795f7752a7420.jpg

Well ... I was able to find that big moon but I can’t say for certain about anything else.  Perhaps a few of the night visitors ... but it may have just been my (FS9) imagination.  Below there has been very few signs of life but every so often a ranch or a road appear.  More activity emerges as the coast closes in from starboard and soon we are over Ceduna.

At Port Augusta we turn to the south for the short run down to Parafield.  I take control from Otto at our TOD and there is little traffic in the area.  Too late to see the fireworks over Adelaide ... we land on 3L and taxi over to parking.

Parafield_2.jpg.ecb0da8400e44f942a863dd90921e744.jpg

Parafield_4.jpg.01ef2cfdf0e2325a344c4814adf41eee.jpg

In a few more minutes she is tied down and I’m off to the hotel.  Tomorrow it’s time to explore Adelaide ... a city named for a Queen.  👑

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, taoftedal said:

maybe even a shower!

Oh yes...

I'd like to say "no sweat" but that would be so wrong.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

3 hours ago, ScottishMike said:

The only silver lining; Platypus and the Wombat had departed saying they would not be coming back.

Shall I update the Spotters' Guide to reflect the Mooney's weight reduction of 300 lbs of ugly fat?

Very nice news from the Gaggle.

1. Yes, please ensure flyers shower, well, before joining your friends at the bar for post-flight debriefs.

2. Glad taoftedal knows how to get:
- his 'flat white' fix for the day, and;
- finding southern constellations is not hard, the southern sky has many more bright stars than the northern, the centre of the Milky Way, the galactic centre, passes directly over us. Of course, everything is upside down to northern hemisphere folk, so e.g. Orion is standing on his head. (Old nav trick, known by many commoners, the Southern Cross and it's two 'pointers', Alpha Centauri (the nearest start to us after the Sun, being 4.3 light years away, and in recent years discovered to have a planet orbiting that double-star system), and Beta Centauri, extend a line joining them and they point to the top of the Cross. Extend the long arm of the Cross down to the south, also a bisector line of the Pointers line, south, where those two lines intersect is the South Celestial Pole (SCP), drop a line vertically to the ground and that is due South. (We have no bright Pole star like you northern hemipshere people have). Alternatively, extend the long arm of the Cross about 7.5 times the length of the arm, south, and that also gives you the SCP. Many of us learn this as kids (in Boy Scouts etc.).

- the majesty of the desert, the Outback. Many Outback residents were just passing through decades ago and just never left. This is often mentioned worldwide, for city folk it looks dead, but give it time to understand it's subtlety, it is indeed alive with creatures and wonderful sights.

3. Am picking up many little tips and tricks on this flying caper. Will try Ctl+Z in my FS2002 to see if it throws up fuel remaining.

4. SMike. So please, tell us what the Prof and Wombat were looking for, but it seems you don't know. Dear oh dear, you tease, you led us all along and 'no satisfaction'! What a brilliant ploy. Did you plan it that way or did it just evolve?

• Like 2

The Chachapoya Chronicle. Saturday 27 January 2024. By your Aussie Correspondent.

Parafield (Adelaide)

South Australia with Adelaide as state capital is the only non-convict established state. A planned state and city (unusual for Australia, the national capital Canberra is the other planned city). This reporter has visited Adelaide and lived in Canberra. Both are very pleasant cities. (As the capital cities are better known, this reporter won't give details here, flyers can look up stuff on the interweb themselves if interested. The focus in these reports are on the small places that flyers wouldn't be expected to know about.)

Barossa Valley, wine country, grapes everywhere. North-east of Adelaide is Australia's equivalent of the Napa Valley, California. In the 19th century, German immigrants settled in the area and planted grape vines. World class wines come out of here. Weary, thirsty flyers might consider a little break from the tedium of hours in the cockpit and spend a few days doing winery tours (hic!). (It'll be off your port side when on the Parafield-Renmark leg, tempted to veer left? https://www.barossa.com

Murray River. The 'Mighty Murray (just like the 'Mighty Mississippi' system, our equivalent) Bossspecops mentioned it (and also his famous Severn River in the UK). The Murray-Darling system (which includes the Murrumbidgee which is fed by the Snowy Mountains), the Darling River branch stretches to south-east QLD. A glass of water poured out at Toowoomba QLD, theoretically can end up in the Great Southern Ocean in South Australia, thousands of kilometres away. (The management of the 'Murray-Darling Basin Plan', the water management plan, is a bit of a shambles, not surprising given that the national government, i.e. the Commonwealth of Australia, and four state governments: QLD, NSW, VIC, SA, all have a say and finger in the pie. They all are fighting all the time over water sharing etc., there's not enough for everyone.) Flyers will cross the system again, the Murray at YTOC Tocumwal on the VIC/NSW border, it forming much of the border. Then the Murrumbidgee River at YNAN Narrandera NSW.
https://www.mdba.gov.au/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray–Darling_basin

Renmark. The 'Riverland' area. Another horticultural area including wine, irrigated from the Murray River. (Your reporter did a few weeks picking grapes here as a young man in his twenties.)

The Daily Update

(Cue “She Sells Sanctuary”)

CU: “It’s time for our Daily Update. We are Claus Ullrich and Eli Pacheco, here for Radio Chachapoya. I’m in the right seat talking; Eli’s flying today. Last night the Porsche people made a minor adjustment to the turbo and we swapped out the 21-gallon auxiliary fuel bladders for 41-gallon ones. We’re back on the route, with only the mains full.. Eli’s kicking along at 7,500’ and 155 knots. Leaned to 62° after peak, Sara’s sipping fuel like an evening’s Chardonnay at 11.8 gallons per hour, with 300° CHTs. The Low Fuel warning came on a little before Adelaide.

“So let’s run down the Leaderboard:

GAAGLB126.thumb.jpg.754e9147ec707681ee270ed760b0cf95.jpg

“ViperPilot2’s CV of 1 has him still in the lead, at Forrest.

“Next, we have three CVs of 2. defaid is in second at Adelaide.

“ScottishMike made a run to Ceduna, arriving on fumes. He’s moved up into third, having shaved 7 minutes off of his CV. We’ve arrived in Renmark with a gallon and a half in each of the mains. There’s an award for pilots who land with the least amount of fuel in their aircraft: The Darwin Award.

“JSMR is still showing in Katanning, in fourth.

“Bossspecops is here in Renmark, in fifth.

“The PhrogPhlyers round out the field in sixth, with a +44, also here in Renmark. Perhaps we can get a hold of Dirk Doovalacky for an interview, now that he’s showered.

“One final word before we go: The Daily Update may look a little abridged this weekend. This is because we are going to be watching not one but two 24-hour races – one in Dubai and the other in Daytona. Those interested in hearing the inspiration for Radio Chachapoya can listen in to some of the commentary on www.radiolemans.co , and can watch the Dubai 24 on either www.24hseries.com or on www.radiolemans.co . For details on where and how to watch the Daytona 24, go to www.imsa.com . If you are in an area in which you can view the Daytona 24, you can always mute the sound and listen to Radio LeMans’ commentary – it’s how Eli and I both watch it.

“This concludes our Daily Update for today. We’re Claudine Ullrich and Elias Pacheco, for Radio Chachapoya, signing off. Have a great flying weekend, everybody!”

Have finally had a chance to review my first leg and get the times. Have pm'd Tom for his review (me being a newbie). Think this is correct: YPJT-YKNG var -8 minutes, planned 1h5m, actual 57m. (My planned speed was 140 but went faster at 152 to give plenty of time to find and get down at YKNG, given that in my FS2002 there isn't a strip there, so did my method moving the Tower to the lat long and simply flying to and landing at that. It worked well. For leg 2 to YNSM Norseman, is easy, as I have it in my Airports. So can use GPS 'Direct to' I think, instead of only the Map View. Pics:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

The PhrogPhlyers round out the field in sixth, with a +44

At the US Naval Academy, the person who graduates last is called the "Anchor Man." It's quite an honor.

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

2 hours ago, MAD1 said:

It'll be off your port side

Whichever hand holds the bottle of port is your port side.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

At the US Naval Academy, the person how graduates last is called the "Anchor Man." It's quite an honor.

No worries PP ... Spithill and crew did it in 2013 ... and that crew looked nothing like yours!  😎

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

At the US Naval Academy, the person how graduates last is called the "Anchor Man." It's quite an honor.

You went to the Academy??  I remember knowing Lt Gen Walt, Krulak, and a few other really old guys who went to the Academy.  But other than Rocky Garner who flew in Korea those guys never flew in combat that I can recall.   They apparently served before the Vietnam war started and held desk jobs by then. 

Yes, they did fly their four hours per month to get their Flight Pay,  But they didn't actually ever fly in combat that I recall. Though being PIC for a Bob Hope tour was certainly their norm.

I was disabled and out without seeing any Academy guys my age ever showing up for combat.  But I hope and assume some Academy guys did their duty later.

Those like me, I went directly from University of Kentucky or tons of other universities into the Corps, then almost instantly into flight training was the norm.  Back then the Corps wasn't nearly as picky, all they wanted was butts in the seats regardless of the aircraft.  We even had a ton of NCOS flying as H2PS. 

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

FWIW, departing YFRT

depart_yfrt.jpg.cedcf401e81449073ae8cda917c55e49.jpg

Approach YCDU

ycdu_approach.jpg.1c7f2775ac78bc0fff6ec52f1e7c0fef.jpg

345 miles in 1:41.11

done_1.jpg.a0f07b7eb85eab928eb84f5007a1756e.jpg

Reset timer and GPS for next leg

reset.jpg.c607b5076c28040c41de3f8ad6b62332.jpg

Leaving YCDU

leave_ycdu.jpg.1c69951ece9c742564619a0e1b93e050.jpg

Approaching YPAG

approach_ypag.jpg.251ceee3748373672d61af8d5178794c.jpg

Egad!

yikes.jpg.fe06ce025065304b262b7008b2c54524.jpg

That was close (I'll pay a buck and a half to watch a 737 land here)

close.jpg.28cd6a583eadd9abebe6e67d8ab45d0f.jpg

238 miles in 1:14.33 (you can monitor my fuel consumption by the tank switch in lower left; starts in lower left, then lower right, middle left, middle right, upper right, upper left)done_2.jpg.60bda4d0968c7f485322703f2106ba82.jpg

Approaching YPPF

approach_yppf.jpg.ebb144846de91458a836a6cd1a93c111.jpg

171 miles, 55 minutes

done_3.jpg.e4d2a19595005141f9e4981174d32bc5.jpg

What idiot put a tree at the end of the runway

tree_yppf.jpg.f05842e5eaf529d3eb3b0b551cf3e96c.jpg

Off to Renmark

off_to_renmark.jpg.19edc06f1b2afdef98dc60b1cc7bef69.jpg

And there's YREN

yren_approach.jpg.1b3455a4f97c4abf04d5ae17d3922ac2.jpg

128 miles in 39:50;  13 gallons fuel remaining, so this is a good place to stop

done_4.jpg.482ccea49bc4e4db6498138aebc24395.jpg

yren.jpg.3564852c72f1e8bba458df2f8f4c4c26.jpg

yren2.jpg.926318bab2cbf5b73e04dffe6dd5adda.jpg

A breeze compared to circumnavigating half the Pacific to get here.

Next stop Naracoorte.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rupert said:

You went to the Academy??

Absolutely NOT! LOL

Marine Corps PLC Program during college/university for OCS.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

12 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Absolutely NOT! LOL

Marine Corps PLC Program during college/university for OCS.

Good to know.  Nothing against them.  😜 

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

18 minutes ago, JSMR said:

I was thinking how fun - and difficult - it would be to fly the leg with no gps. No navaids. Dead reckoning only. 

That's how I flew Rt66. Fun might not been how I saw it, but it sure was challenging and rewarding. 

I did an article on Flight Planning and Dead Reckoning that may (or may not) prove helpful to some.

• Like 2

phrog x 2.jpg