The 2024 Australian Air Rally - The FBO

TomPenDragon

1 hour ago, MAD1 said:

RW weather. Warning. East coast part of the event, Sydney to Cairns. Possible cyclone (hurricane) developing off Queensland.

If anyone is using RW weather, be aware of the following. 'Tropical Low 05U'.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/index.shtml

Oh dear, I am using RW weather for the event, and that's exactly our Eastern Route area too. 😪

Regards

Kit

taoftedal. Thanks for posting the 2-continent-comparison, I was going to ask the Chachapoya Chronicle to do that. Glad you've picked up the coffee lingo. Question: that booklet and that route, what is that from? Is it the B&H programme or something else, given the route is different?

12 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Australia is a big place ... and Western Australia a big state. ... grab a 'Long Black' and plan the day. ...

Austrailia.jpg.15045b12984c6902a472305d8d4d2f3a.jpg

1976_BH_Route_Map_1.jpg.8ac96609fff63648176f7df815d2d592.jpg

PhrogPhlyer. 1. The phrase 'Throw another shrimp on the barbie', I don't think was ever envisioned to be as you show. That is so wrong (but I love it). Perhaps this indicates the state of your mind, I think you might need some mental health counselling (which aligns with what most of us fixed-wing blokes think of you whirly-bird guys, always a little bit whacko!)

image.thumb.jpeg.dcf1e3448d5759b611ea5fe6b3124288.jpeg

2. Question. Your firearm, is it licensed in Australia and are you licensed under Australian law to carry it? You do know you can't just pack firearms like that, we do have laws, and I don't think you could claim a military-association or former military-association exemption. People don't carry guns here. Scary!

(However, I understand your concern. There is nothing in the southern route that can hurt you, person or animal, other than a few snake species, e.g. a brown snake (the most deadly we have of the many different deadly ones we have, a Taipan comes close, and the old Red-bellied Black is rather benign), which you're unlikely to encounter unless e.g. you had to make a forced landing in the desert and accidentally came across one. If so, don't approach it, walk away. Most species will try to get away from you, except the brown, which, if surprised or attacked, will attack.

Once you get up to north QLD, in addition to snakes, the real threat is the rare chance to encounter a Saltwater crocodile, they love to eat people! (The freshwater croc is a different species, they won't eat you, they're in some rivers and lakes ('billabongs'), you can tell the difference, the latter have long narrow snouts, the salty has a broad snout). And of course, north of about Rockhampton or Mackay, you can't swim safely in the ocean due to the Irukandji jellyfish, deadly. But hey, people do, you can wear a protective suit, or swim within the netted areas. Oh, and I haven't mentioned the spiders (Redback, Sydney Funnel Web etc.), and I almost forgot about the ants, our old friend the Bull Ant, watch where you sit down beside your chopper in the Outback, and the Red Fire Ant which is slowly spreading south from QLD, very unpleasant sting. But all that's for another post, probably the Chronicle can follow up on that.)

Enjoy our wildlife mate!

Yahoo! A number of firsts for me. Just completed the first leg to Katanning. All went well. Will post my story in my 'FS2002 Mazda' in the FS2002 forum, and put link in this thread.

10 hours ago, MAD1 said:

Question: that booklet and that route, what is that from? Is it the B&H program or something else, given the route is different?

Found it on-line in an article from the 'Australian Women's Weekly' (attached) regarding the 'upcoming' 1976 race ... after jgf first came up with the idea (seems like a couple light years ago).  Here's the link https://www.australianflying.com.au/latest/aopa-australia-to-reprise-1976- he posted to get us all thinking ... 

Australian Women's Weekly.pdf

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MAD1 said:

2. Question. Your firearm, is it licensed in Australia and are you licensed under Australian law to carry it?

Since the pilot, Capt. Dirk Doovalacky is in the Australian Army, he most likely would carry when traveling alone across such barren area as SW AU, especially in a small helicopter. Basic survival training 101.

https://www.army.gov.au/equipment/small-arms

10 hours ago, MAD1 said:

I think you might need some mental health counselling (which aligns with what most of us fixed-wing blokes think of you whirly-bird guys, always a little bit whacko!)

Flying is Heavenly, to hover Divine!

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

15 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

more fun than a barrel of Barbie's!

Ken learned the hard way, Barbie always wins.

image.jpeg.e43038a2102494003e66713194dd59a5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

18 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

As for PP ... he kind-of lost-it somewhere along 'Route 66'

You say that like it's a bad thing? 

image.gif.622079ecc43e8f0ec0da19f31ff644c3.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

phrog x 2.jpg

13 hours ago, MAD1 said:

If anyone is using RW weather, be aware of the following. 'Tropical Low 05U'.

I was taking a look at that...  Looks like sailing weather to me (never lend me a boat).  From what I can see, there's a persistent, semi-stationary high between AUS and NZ that looks like it's going to hold 05U between Queensland and the Solomons.  It's going to strengthen and get wet throughout next week, although right now its center pressure isn't projected to get particularly low.  It's going to be small and tight, and looks like it's going to make landfall somewhere around Rockhampton toward the end of the month (projecting storm tracks beyond a few days is a fool's errand, like when my wife asks me to go to the store).  Unless someone is planning on completing the '76 and starting the Eastern before the end of January, it shouldn't be much of a problem.  Hopefully, MAD1, it will do you a favor and suck some of the moisture out of the air around Ballina so your catchments can dry out a bit.  You might get a bit of a soak when it makes landfall, but unless it jigs south, you should miss most of it (hopefully).  The good news is, it looks like you've got time to get prepared, move things to higher ground, put pool floaties on the Mazda, etc. 

5 hours ago, MAD1 said:

Yahoo! A number of firsts for me. Just completed the first leg to Katanning. All went well. Will post my story in my 'FS2002 Mazda' in the FS2002 forum, and put link in this thread.

Congratulations on your first run.  Would you mind posting your V here so I can get it into the Daily Update, while you develop your story?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Found it on-line in an article from the 'Australian Women's Weekly' (attached) regarding the 'upcoming' 1976 race ... after jgf first came up with the idea (seems like a couple light years ago).  Here's the link https://www.australianflying.com.au/latest/aopa-australia-to-reprise-1976- he posted to get us all thinking ... 

Australian Women's Weekly.pdf 2.12 MB · 1 download

What a great link!!  Thanks so much for including it!!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Ken learned the hard way, Barbie always wins.

image.jpeg.e43038a2102494003e66713194dd59a5.jpeg

Days later, a despondent Ken is seen making stops at the Gun store, Harbor Freight, the Liquor store and the Dealer on the Corner, near the RR Tracks on the outskirts of Town. Ken's planning sumptin, and it don't bode well for that gold digger Barbie...

• Haha 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

I was taking a look at that...  Looks like sailing weather to me (never lend me a boat).  From what I can see, there's a persistent, semi-stationary high between AUS and NZ that looks like it's going to hold 05U between Queensland and the Solomons.  It's going to strengthen and get wet throughout next week, although right now its center pressure isn't projected to get particularly low.  It's going to be small and tight, and looks like it's going to make landfall somewhere around Rockhampton toward the end of the month (projecting storm tracks beyond a few days is a fool's errand, like when my wife asks me to go to the store).  Unless someone is planning on completing the '76 and starting the Eastern before the end of January, it shouldn't be much of a problem.  Hopefully, MAD1, it will do you a favor and suck some of the moisture out of the air around Ballina so your catchments can dry out a bit.  You might get a bit of a soak when it makes landfall, but unless it jigs south, you should miss most of it (hopefully).  The good news is, it looks like you've got time to get prepared, move things to higher ground, put pool floaties on the Mazda, etc. 

Oooer, that looks decidedly dodgy from the point of view of doing some water landings up north, as I intended to do with the Sealand. 

That begs a question, does FSX sea water have waves when the weather's bad? I've never tried it to see................... 

Regards

Kit

30 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

That begs a question, does FSX sea water have waves when the weather's bad?

Apparently not. This at Diego Garcia, winds 10 gusting 35.

image.thumb.jpeg.f20c80adb571146950beddc83b8f3e7c.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

57 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

and it don't bode well for that gold digger Barbie...

She asked him over to "discuss things" and... well...

image.thumb.jpeg.45367563c7fece17054557ae100041d1.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

6 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Yes,

Sadly P3D works the same.  Though it is nice to regularly program a tail wind on whatever long flight you choose.  It's also nice to have headwinds at landing locations with only a two way landing surface.  That would have come in sooo handy in Vietnam!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

57 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Thanks for the research PP, very useful. I should be OK water landing 'up north' then, maybe even easier than on the available runways, I can always land into wind. 

Regards

Kit

Morning guys. Woke up to a lovely clear blue sky (now it's Sun 21 Jan 8:23 am Australian Eastern Daylight Time, AEDT, which applies to NSW, Vic (personally I hate it). QLD doesn't do daylight saving, it sticks with Australian Eastern Standard Time, AEST). Yesterday was overcast and drizzly. Two months ago I was praying for rain, now I'm praying for no more for a few months! Thanks TomPenDragon for your weather review re 05U, you're correct with some of it, especially that they're unpredictable and the computer modelling is very variable re their likely track.

The usual pattern is, as I said, they cross the QLD coast, but then deteriorate into a 'normal' but deep low and drag a huge pool of rain behind them in from the Coral Sea, and that low then slowly moves south towards SE QLD / north coast NSW, often swinging inland over western QLD and in a big arc, and with a blocking ridge to the south, tends to just sit there for maybe a week, slowly moving SE into the Tasman Sea. And of course, it's always after saturating rain events in the weeks and days before, which is the situation here now, so we have the 'perfect storm' scenario. 'Up north' (somewhat similar environment and society-wise, some people in Aus refer to it as the 'deep north' just like in the USA you have the 'deep south' (I won't elaborate)). Up north (Cairns) they're still recovering from Cyclone Jasper over Xmas, which caused unprecdented flooding in the Cairns northern suburbs.

So I am genuinly slightly concerned ('be aware but not alarmed'!) what it might do. Re it as a RW phenomenon for this flying event, well, ... hmmm, wait and see I supppose.

Is anyone intending to fly today, or has already? (i.e. Aus Sun 21, USA Sat 20 evening.) I might do Katanning to Norseman. I suppose I should just wait and listen to the Daily Update.

On the way south to Perth.

StartingfromDarwin.thumb.jpg.3592c8e0d1bf3f20e93ab8df5c0a0329.jpg
Started from the military side of the field at Darwin International. (YPDN)  Sitting next to one of the BIG boys.

OnthewaytoKununurra.thumb.jpg.5496576276800917e0bc4d2031b36cc1.jpg
Typical picture en route to Kununurra.  Low clouds but mostly not at my altitude.  Driving rain and headwinds almost the whole way.

Runwayinsightahead.thumb.jpg.cfe6845ef8a7f20915a4e4e3b5b9e110.jpg
Runway in sight ahead.  The flight time gauge works great.  Using it free floating as there was zero room in my panel to put it anywhere.

ParkedatYPKU.thumb.jpg.dcd3e789bb7995d1fb02be61c02c99ec.jpg
Parked at Kununurra (YPKU).

Next stop is Curtin (YCIN.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MAD1 said:

Is anyone intending to fly today, or has already? (i.e. Aus Sun 21, USA Sat 20 evening.) I might do Katanning to Norseman. I suppose I should just wait and listen to the Daily Update.

I'm about 20 mins out of Ceduna (YCDU) right now, just crossing a very tempting looking bit of blue sea.............. 😊

Regards

Kit