The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

I've got as far as the south of France on my ferry flight, avoiding Nice International and landing at LFMD, a nice little airport nestled under some hills just west of Cannes. Should be OK for some good food this evening I reckon.

Here's 'Austral Rose' on finals for the runway there. 

Ferry-c.jpg.da0672288b4d6eb5c28379308c19e9d1.jpg

Heading for Sicily tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Regards

Kit

14 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

Just in case the fuelling at Caiguna goes to pot, the Albion tanker's on a tanker track o'head.

New Jersey Air Natl. Guard lends their support.

Tankers get to have fun too!!!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I've attached two flight plans for FSX, one for the B&H AAR southern legs, and one for the Eastern legs.

Sometimes I need to select the plan twice for it to show, but that might just be something with my setup.

FSX Flt Plns.zip

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

4 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

New Jersey Air Natl. Guard lends their support.

Tankers get to have fun too!!!

image.jpeg

Are all Gas Passers allowed? I gotta KC-10... 😋

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

10 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Defaid... You might need to include those Objects in your Download, because they're nowhere to be found in the entirety of the File Library...

Found them this morning between shower & commute. They weren't in the downloads -- seems from a readme that I had them with the EZ Scenery package direct from Abacus. I'll upload when I get home.

I wonder also about mesh and airport elevation. What's the elevation of the location in your sim? If you remove my upload and park up in the correct location, preferably in the stock C172, could you check altitude with Shift+Z. I know the C172's origin is 3.7 feet above the ground. That way I can make another YCAG at an elevation appropriate to your mesh.

I used a taxiway to flatten ground under the runway but that method too may not be compatible with other users' mesh. I'll do a YCAG with an integral flatten to solve that, though it will result in 2 bgls. The afd will still go into /Addon Scenery/Scenery but the flatten (YCAG_ter.bgl or something like that) will go in /Scenery/World/Scenery.

Do you prefer dirt or grass?

D

Thanks Defaid, works perfectly! I am running FS9 and VOZ 1.8 plus ORBIX adjusted for FS9

I created an entry in my Addon Scenery/Australia directory (sorry newcomers call it a folder):

Entryinaddonscenery.jpg.f6557ccde5cce0ef051e5563f190e68d.jpg

then entered the scenery in my scenery config editor:

EntryinscenerylibraryCFG.jpg.a0eb5b213656ee508583a537fc8db98b.jpg

then re-started FS9 and it appears in the world airports:

Inairportlist.jpg.7dfebb56675a3c09022bdadd7dc6bd9c.jpg

Pics with the standard Cessna 172:

verygood!.thumb.jpg.bcf4756cde234d35293e456a2128dc46.jpg

CaigunaEXCELLENT!.thumb.jpg.70fed301e5c8576abc81485a54146120.jpg

Big thanks! Little things can make a big difference.

Defaid, hardly any altitude difference: 361.4 ft with no scenery

and                                                        363.8 ft. with.

I have no addon mesh covering the area.

Pic without your scenery (same stock 172):

NoCaiguna.thumb.jpg.40d3e58299a21e23ab0bd59f150f2a94.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

Defaid, hardly any altitude difference: 361.4 ft with no scenery

and                                                        363.8 ft. with.

I have no addon mesh covering the area.

Thank you. That's good to know: I may not have to make multiple variants after all. I see that you dropped all four files into your new scenery layer. You only need one or other of the bgl files:

YCAG_ADE9_gt.bgl has a grass strip

YCAG_ADE9_dt.bgl has a dirt strip.

The two .ad4 files are the ADE project files and can be discarded unless you want to modify the airfield.

D

(I may swap my landclass for Matt's Dry. I think your setup looks much better than my wet-season greenery)

4 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Are all Gas Passers allowed?

Well of course!

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, ScottishMike said:

Big thanks! Little things can make a big difference.

So true, especially for the more austere airstrips.

Just one old truck parked somewhere, and it gives the feeling that there's more to the story,

phrog x 2.jpg

Thanks Defaid, I've changed the extension on the dirt bgl to bgX. I decided the grass strip is marginally more visible. I'm going to need all the help I can get to spot the airstrips if using deadreconing.

I decided the set of dry textures looks best for an Australian summer but it dosen't make dirt strips any easier to spot from 2000' in a hazy overcast!

19 hours ago, jgf said:

Supercharging isn't independently modeled in FS, it uses turbocharging for both.  So that should be enabled-

turbocharged=1

Min MP and max MP set the boost at low alt/low rpm and at max pressure, respectively,  both vary greatly among different aircraft-
max_design_mp=60
min_design_mp=9

Critical altitude is the point where boost equals normal pressure at sea level, it also varies greatly but around 50%-70% of max altitude is a good starting point
critical_altitude=6000.000000

If I have no exact data I look at the cfg of another airplane using the same engine.

Melo checked it out for me, he's much better at that than I am, and he got her up to 25000 ft! 😯

So that meant I was doing something silly, and I was. I had set her climb rate at 800 fpm, and climbing a lot less rapidly improved things no end, and at 500 fpm I've reached 10000 ft easily en route to Malta today.

Thanks for the pointers in the right direction. 👍

• Like 2

Regards

Kit

10 minutes ago, defaid said:

Here's the scenery objects for anyone who needs them. Best place for them is probably added directly to an existing EZ Scenery library layer but fs2004/Addon Scenery/ should do just as well.

D

Abacus lib.zip 2.15 MB · 0 downloads

Awesome Sauce, D! So you think I could just add them to my existing EZ Library Objects folder and Bob's your Uncle?

Schweet! 😁

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

7 hours ago, jgf said:

Only if they stay downwind.  And don't try to blame it on the dog.

That's the main reason I still own a dog!! 

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

26 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

So you think I could just add them to my existing EZ Library Objects folder and Bob's your Uncle?

Pretty sure yes. That's where my objects & textures were.

I just couldn't find the original archive, which I needed because the texture names don't match the bgl names (several objects in one bgl) and I couldn't upload without the textures. So AB_Vehicles.bgl goes with AB_Ambulance.bmp & AB_BUS_A.bmp & wickrover1.bmp etc. Picking them out of my actual scenery layers would have been really difficult.

D

Untitled-1.jpg.89f4968b6e46d511f31ed6dde4e77682.jpg

• Like 1

The 2024 Australia Aerial Rally Application (Short Form)

Name: taoftedal; Aircraft: 1966 PA-30 Twin Comanche B; Sponsors: TBD; Ramp Photo: Attached; Flight Plan: Free Flight (1976 B & H Route); Flight Simulator: MsFs 2004; Credits: Model: Don Moser (dm_tcom.zip); Paint: Factory

Remarks: Application submitted to Rally Committee for review and approval.  Should the committee require any additional information, please let me know.  I'm looking forward to leaving the stop watch and E-6B at home, joining all on the apron, and sharing the experience of the ‘land down under.’  The adventure awaits!

PA_30_xx.jpg.9953c6fcff5f7594f59e3ec2ffd41ef4.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

Name: taoftedal; Aircraft: 1966 PA-30 Twin Comanche B; Sponsors: TBD; Ramp Photo: Attached; Flight Plan: Free Flight (1976 B & H Route); Flight Simulator: MsFs 2004; Credits: Model: Don Moser (dm_tcom.zip); Paint: Factory

Remarks: Application submitted to Rally Committee for review and approval.  Should the committee require any additional information, please let me know.  I'm looking forward to leaving the stop watch and E-6B at home, joining all on the apron, and sharing the experience of the ‘land down under.’  The adventure awaits!

That's what it's all about, my brother... The Adventure! 

And, I like your Form Submittal too! I'm steeling it from 'ya!

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 1/1/2024 at 11:28 AM, jgf said:

Lol, I first encountered this lunacy years ago.  The Baron is supposed to have a ceiling of around 18k ft.,  I got it to about 16k at full throttle, with maybe 15mp, nose in the air, and a few knots above stall.

But real life specs for some of these aircraft are the same;  the Bonanza A35 is listed for 17k ft., the Staggerwing for 21K.  Neither is pressurized, though the Staggerwing is supercharged.  Did they give some poor pilot an oxygen bottle and instructions to see how high the plane could go?

Okay,

Since I entered my Beech Baron in the rally you made me wonder how it performs at altitude.  It's rated at 300 hp per Continental 10-550-C.  So outside Perth with 50% fuel, OAT 80F, 29.51 inches, and a 175lb. pilot, no luggage,  we climbed out.   Our maximum altitude was 17,200' doing 75kts with cylinder temps of 220C. 

This is using the P3Dv.4 stock Baron with the ORBX Australia scenery.  And seems to be really close to RW numbers.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

So a couple years back, I was goofing around with using a Gamepad for FlightSim, just to see if it would work. It did, but the dearth of Buttons was its main drawback. This was before I learned about messing about with Sensitivities and Null Zones

Now Xmas comes around, and the yearly influx of Greenbacks for "play". So, I bought another Gamepad. Tons of Buttons and lots of lights, but I've gotten used to using the Joystick again.

Talk me out of using the Gamepad instead of the Joystick...

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

4 hours ago, taoftedal said:

I was planning on putting out the "entry form" before end-of-day today, but you folks are way ahead of me, so here goes:

To put together the Spotters' Guide, I need the following:

• A picture, preferably in .jpg format.  It should be as close-in as you can take it and still show the entire aircraft.  If you have added race stickers to your livery, the picture should be taken from the right-hand side of the plane.
  • Team name and preferred entry number.
  • Sponsors.
  • Pilots and Race Crew.
  • Passengers.
  • Aircraft year, Manufacturer, Model no., Model name, Tail No.
  • If the aircraft has been modified in any way, a description of the mods and their effects.
  • Which route (1976, Eastern, Combined) and timing modality (timed or free) are you planning to use.  I don't need a flight plan right now.

Thanks,

Elias Pacheco

Radio Chachapoya

17 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Talk me out of using the Gamepad instead of the Joystick.

How many real aircraft have you seen with a pad instead of a stick.

• Haha 1