Ice Recon

BillD22

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

Beautiful shots!  Having said that, that weather isn't something I look forward to.

Michael

Thanks, Michael.  Yes -some low ceilings up there that can hide icebergs that go up to 100 or more feet. I had the occasion to fly a couple of similar Missions IRL in Baffin Bay looking for open water for the annual supply ship convoy up to Thule AFB in NW Greenland.  Normally a Coast Guard mission but the only CG C-130 qualified AC in the area was out with a broken leg suffered when departing the O Club bar via the stairway.  :classic_laugh:  Took them a while to get in a replacement.  Saw lots of polar bears.

22 minutes ago, BillD22 said:

Thule AFB

One trip I always wanted to take. My father was stationed there when I was born (Ft. Dix). Never got the chance.

22 minutes ago, BillD22 said:

broken leg suffered when departing the O Club bar via the stairway.

MUST have been slippery stairs.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

One trip I always wanted to take. My father was stationed there when I was born (Ft. Dix). Never got the chance.

MUST have been slippery stairs.

THULE was an interesting place.  My most vivid memory is of walking out of the Q at 0300 local into broad daylight!  On the USCG C-130 A/C's fall, the story was there was ice on the stairs - supposedly no beverages were involved.

21 hours ago, BillD22 said:

Thanks, Michael.  Yes -some low ceilings up there that can hide icebergs that go up to 100 or more feet. I had the occasion to fly a couple of similar Missions IRL in Baffin Bay looking for open water for the annual supply ship convoy up to Thule AFB in NW Greenland.  Normally a Coast Guard mission but the only CG C-130 qualified AC in the area was out with a broken leg suffered when departing the O Club bar via the stairway.  :classic_laugh:  Took them a while to get in a replacement.  Saw lots of polar bears.

I've made a couple of winter voyages to or from Southampton on the Queen Mary II.  To save fuel they take a pretty northern (direct) route to and from New York City. 

Having read various accounts and seen the movie Titanic, I was never truly comfortable at sea on those trips, especially after dark.  And dark comes truly early that far north in winter!! 😟

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

I've made a couple of winter voyages to or from Southampton on the Queen Mary II.  To save fuel they take a pretty northern (direct) route to and from New York City. 

Having read various accounts and seen the movie Titanic, I was never truly comfortable at sea on those trips, especially after dark.  And dark comes truly early that far north in winter!! 😟

One of our missions was looking for stray bergs in the area south and east of Cape Race, Newfoundland - the same area where the Titanic went down.