Manfred Jahn's L-1049 Problem

miatamariner

I have had this beautiful aircraft for a number of years but haven't flown it until recently and now I remember why. 

First off, my platform is FSX Acceleration. In my hangar I only have 4 other, four engined pistoned propeller aircaft. Manfred's B-50, C-97, Cal Classic DC-7B and Manfred's L-1049. Of these, the L-1049 is the only one that exhibits the problem I am about to describe. I have applied the various updates and revisions as found on the Cal Classic website under the Super Constellation header.

After loading the aircraft ,and setting the Autopilot IAS, heading and desired altitude, but not activating the AP, I prepare to start the engines, but not yet. I set flaps to flaps 1, check all my gauges and everything looks good. Of note here are the two Manifold Pressure gauges which oddly enough, at least to me, have all four needles at 35 MP. Mind you, the engines haven't been started yet. Why are they at 35 MP? OK, I start the engines using Ctrl-E. All OK. I release the brakes, and start my take off roll. At 140 kts, I rotate , retract the gear and fly straight out for about 3 miles. At that point I am about 1200 feet ASL and I engage the autopilot for altitude climb and and heading. Seeing that I am doing an ILS approach, I level off at 2900 feet and head towards the ILS marker on the GPS. So far, so good and then it happens. At close to the 7 minute clock of flight time, number 4 engine followed by number 3, 2 and finally 1, sputter and shutdown. Fuel quantity in all tanks is full. In FSX, I have Unlimied Fuel and Auto-Mixture options checked. In the aircraft cfg file, I have changed Auto_Mixture=0, to 1.  If in flight, if I Reload the aircraft, it restores the engines operation, but screws up the Autopilot so I start a dive to the ground. I can not get beyond 7 minutes of flight to where I loose the engines, attempt after attempt. I have followed the documentation instructions for initiating a new flight. No change. 7 minutes in, engines quit. I have attemped to use other panels from the C-97 and B-50, but I end up with the nose steering gear pointing at 90 degrees. Makes for deteriorating rubber and somehow just doesn't look right! LOL! Not to mention that the C-97 or B-50 panels look awlward in a L-1049.

So that is it. Can't keep engines running beyond 7 minutes of flight. For anyone who has this wonderful aircraft, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you reducing power / RPM after takeoff to a reasonable setting?? If realism settings allow engine damage that may be the problem. Also as a general rule, RPM should not be higher than manifold pressure until slowed down to initial approach speed so the props are not turning the engines rather than manifold pressure. At slower speeds it not such a problem.

• Thanks 1

I found that out the hard way also!  Be sure to reduce your Prop RPM down into the green zone on the gauge after takeoff and gear up.  Down

below that red mark by the 25.  Make sure it's done for each engine.

superior-labs-c668020-0217-cessna-182-pq-superior-labs-rpm-mechanical-tachometer-gauge-hours-100.00-ppp__21266.jpg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The cowl flaps should be open as well.  One of the VA's I was in always had cowl flaps open full and engines were throttled back to 75% with mixture being "leaned off" occasionally down to 50%. Damage to engines incurred the wrath of the Fleet Manager who could swear in three different languages, none of which said anything nice about the unfortunate pilot!

16 hours ago, Mike80 said:

Are you reducing power / RPM after takeoff to a reasonable setting?? If realism settings allow engine damage that may be the problem. Also as a general rule, RPM should not be higher than manifold pressure until slowed down to initial approach speed so the props are not turning the engines rather than manifold pressure. At slower speeds it not such a problem.

Great info guys. Mr. Zippy's info about the RPM gauge settings in keeping it in the "Green" area on the gauge was the solution. Now I can enjoy flying this bird once again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miatamariner said:

Great info guys. Mr. Zippy's info about the RPM gauge settings in keeping it in the "Green" area on the gauge was the solution. Now I can enjoy flying this bird once again.

Yup!  That's why I'm paid the big bucks! 💰  Glad to help!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

On 10/29/2023 at 10:52 AM, mrzippy said:

RPM gauge settings in keeping it in the "Green"

This makes me wonder how many sim flyers have the realism sliders at minimum.

In real life aviation you rarely , and hopefully never, have an emergency.

This is in part by good aircraft management, such as "keeping it in the green."

A little realism will go a long way in flight simming.

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

This makes me wonder how many sim flyers have the realism sliders at minimum.

In real life aviation you rarely , and hopefully never, have an emergency.

This is in part by good aircraft management, such as "keeping it in the green."

A little realism will go a long way in flight simming.

+1!  If you truly mean to sim it, you should try to duplicate ( or simulate) living it.  And while living it, we don't have sliders.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

That's cool.

I just did some testing. The failures are enabled via the default "Engine Stress Damages Engine." Disable it, and it will never fail. It also shows you the internal FS engine health variable.

I know you don't have this problem with the DC-7B because engine damage is separate from FS, and (I believe) disabled by default.

I don't think the C97/B50 have any engine damage support.