X-Plane 11????

pomak249

Just come across X-Plane 11 for sale at €29.99 and unsure whether to take the plunge and get it? Having always used FS2002 up to FSX would I notice any big improvements? The scenery is my biggest pull to it tbh is ıt worth it for that alone?

I would need some more GB but the rest of my rig looks to be ok.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Mick

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Mick - if you're going to take the plunge I recommend the "swimming pool" approach - just jump in and get X-plane 12 vs. 11 which is at the end of its life cycle. 12 Graphics ((clouds, lighting, aircraft cockpits, and exteriors) are much improved over 11 although off-airport buildings down low are kind of ho-hum the overall scenery looks very good from altitude.    The user interface in 11 is kludgy.  Improved in 12 but still needs work as does the ATC and especially the AI.

I think 12 is currently on sale for $59.99 (whatever that is in euros 😁) but going back up to the regular $79.99 at the end of this month.  I used to have X-plane 11 and currently have X-plane 12, P3Dv5, FSX, and FS2020.  In my opinion, FS2020 is the current top dog for flight sim graphics (not counting DCS and some of the other combat sims)  but X-plane 12 is pretty good and I think it's a big step up from  P3Dv5/FSX.  I think X-plane 11 is on par with or slightly below P3Dv5/FSX.  Others may disagree.

Here are random shots from some recent X-plane 12 flights for comparison to FSX/P3D.  A side note:  the Lockheed Electra in these shots is an FSX conversion.

Portland Oregon (KPDX)

image.thumb.jpeg.a139032064e56866f5a5f9fe55ac8b4f.jpeg

B747-200

image.thumb.jpeg.8bfede3883248012ccd32c83908ae32b.jpeg

Cathay Pacific L188 at Hong Kong (VHHH)

image.thumb.jpeg.2bb98f5e2f760b35d40cb5ad96385bca.jpeg

747-200 at KLAX

image.thumb.jpeg.e6be2e47fa6ee56e1273c4fcfa839676.jpeg

B720 at San Diego (KSAN)

image.thumb.jpeg.b94407ebde66eb094079d0331d9d15d2.jpeg

A more direct comparison of FSX vs. X-plane 12 graphics of an L188 exterior and cockpit shots + exterior scenery on Runway 28R at Portland International (KPDX).  This is the same original aircraft model in both sims.  Although the XP conversion airplane has additional improvements the main difference is the graphics.

FSX

image.thumb.jpeg.e051ecc09f530fe4775f228ec667211e.jpeg

XP12

image.thumb.jpeg.bd047853e2e13b7441ea05dac9a5af16.jpeg

FSX

image.thumb.jpeg.5e88e196ff3d90d393ad3a9954cf3311.jpeg

XP12

image.thumb.jpeg.9f4c30ba3e5f943d0a0dec6d0f3ce6f8.jpeg

Nice direct comparison shots.

One can see the advantages of either platform.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

13 hours ago, pomak249 said:

The scenery is my biggest pull to it tbh is ıt worth it for that alone?

I would need some more GB but the rest of my rig looks to be ok.

Hi Mick and everyone.

The standard scenery in XPlane is mostly useless without Ortho, just some badly designed roads and mountain peaks, no real obstacles, ground references....

You will need a lot more than just some GB, and that goes for XP11 also, XP12 is out of the question.

Try the Demos and see what you can handle, I would stay with FSX if you got it set up correctly, or get FS2020. Keep track of the FPS when you test, many times people think they are getting good performance but in fact XPlane throttles down to under 20FPS and it cannot run Real time.

Stay as far away from XP12 as you can, I do not think that the present team has the capacity / knowledge  to ever get it right.

They got so many things wrong, and they are not sufficiently intelligent to see / accept the problems as pointed out by users, and as a result it never actually be useful to Real World pilots as a tool.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti  Eight dual direction 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700 @ 2.50 GHz Processors (Gives me 35 GHz usable RAM).  But I still use a   "Scrubber" each Flightsim session

(X-Plane 12 ) on the Memory to clean off approx. 10 GB of garbage lurking on the Processor, which in fact does interrupt smooth FPS results.

I do run X-Plane 12 near the Max limits on everything, and any draw-down on FPS is due to High Cloud rendering settings.  I scale the Weather Quality back to 1/2 of the total available which plumps my FPS up 39-62 FPS overall.

I do use V-Sync and the Zlink plugin bridge - in addition:  Under the General setting, I turn off most everything except "Flight Models per frame" as 3 .   I check "Show ATC Text arrows".  Data: I check all except "Enable rich presence".

LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY:   DO NOT USE THE AUTO-UPDATE IN X-PLANE 12 or 11.   This has almost ALWAYS ALWAYS screwed up my settings I've worked hard on to get to "Real World feel" on my aircraft.  Once you get everything where you want it ----"IGNORE" any auto-update.

Respectfully - Gary O

Thanks for the input guys - as flytv1 says my rig just couldnt handle XP12 at the moment. I was gonna try the demo but I understand you cant adjust any settings with it which makes it pretty pointless really?

I shall do a lot more research - I always believed the XP scenerey was superior to FSX out of the box but it appears I am wrong. Time to delve!!

Cheers guys

Mick

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

8 hours ago, pomak249 said:

I was gonna try the demo but I understand you cant adjust any settings with it which makes it pretty pointless really?

Hi Mick and everyone.

I am not sure that statement is correct? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you Should be able to use / change any settings, just like the purchased version, except that you are limited to the Demo area scenery, which you should be able to also replace with the Ortho if you want, and 10 min. time.

That said I can tell you that, other than for academic reasons, just to satisfy your curiosity and or learn something by yourself XP12 will Not be running well on your system.

Let us know, if you try it, what the results are.

I have decided to stick with my trusty old FSX for now but I really appreciate all your comments guys, I just have too much invested in FSX to warrant the addition of XP11

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming in late, but I've been considering X-Plane 11 myself.

I'm still flying FS9 and don't intend to abandon it 🙂 Also have FSX but am comfortable with 9 and all the addons and tweaks so hardly gathered through the years; and a big plus is to simply fire the sim and fly!

But always wanted to try X-Plane; I downloaded the demos and 11 runs smooth on my machines while 12 is off limits.

The big plus about X-Plane (the way I see it) is the cockpit experience. Out of the box they're so much better than anything defaulf from FSX or FS9. And the way it zooms smooth to the gauges, the moving shadows inside the cockpit - all seems to make it a lot mroe immersive than the MS sims I know.

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

Hi @joaopaz,

I was happy with FSX but got X-Plane 9 long ago and did the compares and all that. Meh. FSX was my favorite. Then XP11 came along. FSX sort of just went by the wayside for me, I ended up giving a box of disks to Goodwill that included FSX, FS9 and tons of addons. I felt bad about it at the time, but now I am with XP12 and I don't look back. The experience was well worth it. Joao, be careful. The XP bug may bite you too.

*** Stay Thursday, my friend. ***

13 hours ago, dolph98 said:

Hi @joaopaz,

I was happy with FSX but got X-Plane 9 long ago and did the compares and all that. Meh. FSX was my favorite. Then XP11 came along. FSX sort of just went by the wayside for me, I ended up giving a box of disks to Goodwill that included FSX, FS9 and tons of addons. I felt bad about it at the time, but now I am with XP12 and I don't look back. The experience was well worth it. Joao, be careful. The XP bug may bite you too.

🙂

So far I'm just playing with the XP11 demo, going through some tutorials. Also love the aircraft handling (although I'll need to calibrate my JS)

The price is right, too!

....but I can see the "bug" ahead, just waiting ... 😉

Cheers!!

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur