Vintage flights

jgf

Couldn't find our previous thread so started another (moderators, merge if you like).

In 1934-1935 the film makers Osa and Martin Johnson flew Sikorsky S-39s from South Africa to England, filming along the way.

Africa-Route.thumb.jpg.1983b10439aa171968ac13fcccb452ea.jpg

And there is a nice rendition of one of their airplanes for FS2004;  Osa had her own aircraft with a zebra paint scheme.

S39africa.thumb.jpg.5728a465f44c8aac1782f55eef900bdf.jpg

I'm trying to find a more accurate schedule of their flights (a sad irony, the Johnsons were in a passenger plane crash in the US in 1939;  Martin was killed and Osa confined to a wheelchair, though she continued their lecture tour on African wildlife and even made a couple more trips to Africa ...not as a pilot).

• Like 1

The Johnsons flew both a twin engined Sikorsky S-38 (Osa's Ark) painted in a Zebra scheme, and the aforementioned S-39 (Spirit of Africa). I haven't been able to find a Repaint for the Spirit of Africa. I gotta think someone out there in the ether did one at some point, since the S-38's been around in the FlightSim World for quite some time.

If I'm not mistaken, the Johnson's films are on YT, and might have more detailed Info regarding their Flight Itinerary.

You planning a Low and Slow expedition after our little Bendix adventure? The US Tour route you posted looks really interesting! After I'm done with the DC-3 Airways World Tour in a couple Weeks, I'll be looking for another Adventure myself! 😁

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Lol, my last flight was a DC-3, Prague to Frankfurt.

But I've found i enjoy the tour/adventure type of flight, adds some needed structure to my sim without the schedules and timetables of emulating airline flights (not counting early airlines where a transcontinental flight might entail eight or ten stops along the way).

Don't know if this qualifies as "vintage" but for a world flight there's plenty of data on Jerrie Mock's flight.  A Columbus, OH, housewife who liked to fly, in 1964 she became the first woman to fly around the world solo, in a 1953 Cessna 180 (equipped with extra nav gear and a 200 gal fuel tank in the cockpit).  She later co-authored a book about the trip, "Three-Eight Charlie" (the call sign of her plane).

This would be quite an ordeal in a little Cessna-

jerrie_mock_map_NASM-9A11714.thumb.jpg.7de1037ae05ebb270597f0018120f41a.jpg

I haven't found a FS2004 Cessna 180, Mock's plane is now in the Smithsonian

jerrie_mock_cessna_180.jpg.eef240f488432bc79c7d895e97a6affc.jpg

jerrie_mock_cpit.jpg.d093fa1f2b1179ea71724a5ad9f0357c.jpg

• Like 1

I have a copy of Three Eight Charlie, and it's an interesting read. She was put under tremendous pressure by her Husband to fly, to the point where I wonder if she really enjoyed herself throughout the Flight. There were some wonky instances early on when she discovered her long range antenna wasn't connected, and she had some Brake issues, but they were all straightened out. She did what Amelia couldn't do, yet disappeared from the Public eye. She is one of my many Aviation heroes.

Yep... no 180's out there; the closest is Carenado's 185. Wait until the Holidays, and if it's like in Years past, the FlightSim sellers price their Carenado stuff really cheap. I picked up the 185 for like $5.00. It's a tricky airplane to fly, because it really wants to bounce on Landing. There was once an FDE Update to fix the Bouncing, but it's long since gone to dust. 

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, jgf said:

Moderator, please delete.

Perhaps not, unless the OP was thinking specifically of the S-39. The title suggests otherwise.

Croydon to Cairo. Croydon to Cape Town... Croydon to Calcutta... to Charleville...

@jgf, fancy a race 😉 ?

impair03.thumb.jpg.e477a1a0038ee88ca47bd18d513e35f1.jpg

• Like 1

Great thread!!  So glad we were all reminded of Ms Mock's epic flight and of 38 Charlie!

It sounds like I need to sim a few long cross countries again as well.

Michael

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

4 hours ago, jgf said:

My apologies for a Lazarus thread.

Moderator, please delete.

Oh, no need for that! It's good we're reminded of the Trailblazers who explored the World and introduced us to all manner of Cultures and local Customs.

Maybe it's time to start a Club here where like minded Simmers such as us can gather and compare notes about those early Journeys, whether short or long distance.

The other nice thing is that for every Adventure that occurred, the airplanes used in those endeavours are readily available here and at the other Sites. Sikorskys, Gypsy Moths, Catalinas, Sunderlands and many others can be had. But, who's to say one couldn't do it in a 172, Bonanza or King Air?

It's not all about punching holes in the cloud deck with a Dreamliner or MD-80...

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Interesting thread.  Not sure if this one is relevant or not to the discussion, but Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck tells the story of when he and his brother, at ages 15 and 17 respectively, became the youngest duo to fly across America, from New Jersey to California. The two boys bought an old Piper Cub, restored it themselves, and set out on a grand journey.  I flew it years ago in a Cessna 170 and if you're looking for a low and slow experience, it's a great trip!

Flight_of_Passage.thumb.jpg.8ebdccc6af0cf153a6bdaa22f56f430b.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Another interesting flight - the first transcontinental commercial passenger flight in the US.  By 1934 American Airlines operated a fleet of Curtiss Condors around the US, eventually you could go from New York to Los Angeles on a Condor.  No data on exactly when the first coast-to-coast flight was done but the entire route was in use by summer of '34.  The Condor was obsolescent when it entered service but was preferred by many passengers;  it was quieter, roomier, more comfortable in general, than newer, more advanced aircraft such as the DC-2.  It was also the first aircraft to offer a sleeper flight, carrying 12 passengers instead of 16.  Downside was it was more expensive to operate, was prone to icing, and rarely achieved its rated top speed.

Originally created this flight from online data but could find none of that now, this is complied from my 2011 FS logbook;  according to it my flight time totaled 21 hours.  (Using the FS2004 Curtiss Condor from Jens Kristenson.) 

condor_1934_map.thumb.jpg.3d35fa68a19452e43ae7939612363711.jpg

• Like 1