Xbox subscription required?

I recently purchased (at least I thought) download for PC  MSFS2020 (basic version). After paying, etc. I was expecting to start downloading the sim but received a msg stating that you can now play the game. When attempting to do that I was msgd that I had to buy a subscription to Xbox.

Did do something wrong at the purchase stage or is this the way it is?

Thanks,

DA

No, there is no need for an Xbox subscription to fly MSFS. Where and how exactly did you purchase the sim? What was the exact message given? While you don't need a subscription, you do still need an Xbox account and need to login to it.

• Thanks 2

Just to add a little to what Loki said in case it wasn't obvious; you don't need a subscription, but you need a microsoft/xbox account which is free.

I'm not crazy about that fact - these days, it seems like everyone wants you to create an account to use a product that you've already purchased. But it's the world we live in...

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

2 hours ago, KiloWatt said:

I'm not crazy about that fact - these days, it seems like everyone wants you to create an account to use a product that you've already purchased. But it's the world we live in...

Or like me, you can opt to not buy or use products that require you to provide personal info.  As long as we pay for and also subscribe for products we already bought, companies will milk our info  for other ways to get our money.   Plus they often/usually sell our info to others who want to make a profit off of us as well.,

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

23 hours ago, Rupert said:

Or like me, you can opt to not buy or use products that require you to provide personal info.  As long as we pay for and also subscribe for products we already bought, companies will milk our info  for other ways to get our money.   Plus they often/usually sell our info to others who want to make a profit off of us as well.,

It's a judgement call. How much do really want something vs. how much do you want to avoid being milked. I make that call on a case-by-case basis In this case, I really wanted to get the sim since it's been a lifelong passion, so a fairly easy call for FS2020.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

I have an Xbox account, all it needs is an email address and password. No personal details at all. You guys know more about me than Xbox does, here's my Xbox account profile:

spacer.png

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

3 hours ago, Rupert said:

I hope for your sake you're correct.  But that's not at all what I understand from several security sites.   

You're concerns are definitely not unfounded. Companies can amass a surprising amount of data about a person.

If anyone wants to get an idea of what Microsoft has been tracking in relation to your Microsoft/Xbox account, go to the link below.

https://account.microsoft.com/privacy