Stuck in the past

beroun

Hi there,

Still hooked on FS2004, got 1300 aircraft over 600 flyables with variety of panels - some own mods included. I like to jump from one aircraft to another, jets, props, vintage - as mentioed got hundreds. This does not seem to be available in the new FSs. Tried FSX but went back to FS2004 after some glitches with frame rates (perhaps did not give it enought time). Now eyeballing FS2020 and all of a sudden 2024 comes in.

I am more nto flying than scenery and trully my FS2004 scenery with many add-ons suffice.  So I am now contemplating what to do? My initial reaction is that my decades long effort to profound FS9 would be wasted? On the other hand the progress is sometimes important and I could still keep FS9 in my pocket. Additionally a new rig would be required and the feeling of being a novice with lot to learn could be an issue. Maybe I am stuck in a comfort zone?:) 

So just sharing some thoughts going through my head.

Cheers

• Like 2

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

38 minutes ago, beroun said:

Maybe I am stuck in a comfort zone?

Singing to self... "Take the high...way... to the comfort zone...."

• Haha 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

The first point to keep in mind is that we really don't know much about the new sim, so trying to compare it to any other sim is going to be a bit of a guessing game.

As far as available aircraft, yes, FS2004 and FSX have more aircraft available, however, the MSFS2020 library is quickly growing. This includes everything from vintage aircraft to modern day and fantasy ones. On the scenery side, sure, FS2004 and FSX can be made to look pretty good, and accurate, with the right add-ons, whereas, MSFS2020 (and likely MSFS2024) looks great out of the box, so to speak, for more of the world without having to find and download any add-ons. And for the areas that aren't as accurate by default, there are plenty of add-ons to fill in the gaps.

When it comes to hardware, as with any new sim, you will need a decent computer to run the new sim. You don't need to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars/euros/seashells/ whatever your currency is though (unless you really do want to max everything out when running multiple 4k monitors). You can also go with an Xbox console for considerably less than a PC, though you will likely need to buy new peripherals, such as a joystick.

At the end of the day, it is up to you whether it's worth your time and money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loki said:

how those end...

"Let's get Ready ... to... Rumble!!!!!"

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

20 hours ago, loki said:

Oh, and let's try not to turn this into a my sim better than your sim debate. I'm pretty sure everyone knows how those end...

Absolutely agree! We all have our own experiences and know hows and select the sim which suits us the most. They are all excellent and tribute to Misrosoft.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

44 minutes ago, beroun said:

They are all excellent and tribute to Microsoft.

I can agree with the first half of this statement, but that's just my opinion.

phrog x 2.jpg

On 6/19/2023 at 7:55 AM, beroun said:

Hi there,

Still hooked on FS2004, got 1300 aircraft over 600 flyables with variety of panels - some own mods included. I like to jump from one aircraft to another, jets, props, vintage - as mentioed got hundreds. This does not seem to be available in the new FSs. Tried FSX but went back to FS2004 after some glitches with frame rates (perhaps did not give it enought time). Now eyeballing FS2020 and all of a sudden 2024 comes in.

I am more nto flying than scenery and trully my FS2004 scenery with many add-ons suffice.  So I am now contemplating what to do? My initial reaction is that my decades long effort to profound FS9 would be wasted? On the other hand the progress is sometimes important and I could still keep FS9 in my pocket. Additionally a new rig would be required and the feeling of being a novice with lot to learn could be an issue. Maybe I am stuck in a comfort zone?:) 

So just sharing some thoughts going through my head.

Cheers

Hopefully this one comes along : 

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/boeing-747-classic.448883/

• Like 1

Forgot to mention in my initial post that with FS2004 I enjoy the use of ADE and TTools to modify airports and AI flying around. Also tweek airfiles and panels to my liking, not to mention aircraft.cfg changes I often do. Additionally making my own gauges and approaches is bit of a hobby I have - some of these are available for download here in Flightsim. So will probably stick to FS9 for a while. Got two FS9 150GB back-ups, one in the remote  garage in case the house burns down. :):):) 

BUT! there must be excellent features and capabilities in the new sims, so will probably get to the point when I'll try the newest one.

After all, one needs to explore and not get stuck in a comfort zone:)

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

8 hours ago, JSkorna said:

Well in the newest sims you wouldn't be able to do many of the things you enjoy.

Actually, you can. I use ADE to edit airfields, AIFP to edit and create AI flightplans, and good old Notepad to edit aircraft.cfg files. A few of my files are here in the MSFS library to download. My PC specs are shown below:

• Like 1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Those are Marketplace 3rd party payware planes, the default planes config files aren't encrypted any more.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• 3 months later...

@beroun you'd pretty much have to try 2020 out to see if it's your cup of tea, so to speak. I know that's hard because there's nowhere you can 'test drive' the Sim, except for watching vids on YT. 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

With FS2004 you (and I) know what we 've got. We know the all the tricks and pitfalls of that sim in and out, have all invested a lot of money for the add-ons and we know how to make changes to airplane liveries, scenery details and probably are able to create new scenery from scratch. Honestly, if you consider to abandon FS2004 then you should do completely. To run 2 flight sims in parallel and learn the new one is requiring probably more time then we have spare of.

That is my opinion only.

Cheers Michael

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure how this line of questioning directly involves the yet to be released MSFS 2024?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

8 hours ago, chicagorandy said:

I'm not exactly sure how this line of questioning directly involves the yet to be released MSFS 2024?

Perhaps referencing those who denigrate anyone not using the "latest greatest" software?

15 hours ago, leuen said:

You know all tricks, I knows some of them, but what about others?

I was referring to Peter (beroun) specifically and don't wanted to generalize at all. When you have 1500+ airplanes in your setup and are familiar with adding AI using Ttools and are familiar with ADE for FS2004 etc. you have to consider seriously to start this all over again with a completely new simulator without letting go the other sim. I am not arguing against it. I have XP11 since about 2 years in parallel to FS2004 and I have still not conquered it and then XP12 is published. Should I write off my investments in XP11 add-ons and hop to use XP12. I have decided not to do so in the imminent future, even though XP12 has a lot of visual advantages over XP11. For sure I will keep running FS2004.

Michael

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skywatcher12 said:

Are there more MSFS users in this thread than FS2004 users? 🧐😂

On the topic, I'm not stuck in the past.
I'm just stuck in a happy place!
Why would I want to get out?
Long Live FS2004!

Nothing more to say.... absolutely true!