4 hours ago, loki said:

I suspect quality of the Starlink connection was the issue rather than speed.

I guess what I should have asked is can 2020 be run standalone, or must there be a internet connection?

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

43 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I guess what I should have asked is can 2020 be run standalone, or must there be a internet connection?

It can be run in an offline mode after being setup to do so. However, you would be restricted to the base scenery, or anything you have cached, and loose access to the online streamed scenery.

3 hours ago, loki said:

It can be run in an offline mode after being setup to do so. However, you would be restricted to the base scenery, or anything you have cached, and loose access to the online streamed scenery.

Thanks Loki, that clarifies this for me.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Hi,

Thanks to 'Scottish Mike' for a really interesting Post.

I too flew FS9  (still do - often)  for about 20 yrs as a preference to any of the other Sims (even though I'd had them all and some!) I was persuaded by some very helpful Simmers here & elsewhere to try FS2020 - something I was probably sure to do because history had shown, I'd bought all the others along the way:-)

Your Post hi-lighted many reasons for sticking with the old FS9 but most importantly of all, it actually demonstrated what a wonderful Flight Simulator (Game) FS2004/FS9 was right 'Out of the Box'. Hats off to the original creators! 🙂  

I do now fly FS2020 often, but not more often, than the planned Simulations I fly with FS9. I can easily recreate many famous flights I read of; or those flown by my father and his generation during WWII (we owe that generation so much!)  But I can and do, regularly, recreate flights I've flown in the real world, in oh so many places, and even with this 20 year old Sim have hours of enjoyment - and a lot of 'learning' whilst doing so:-)

Thanks again for your excellent Post!

Regards,

Blue.

Me; 70yrs; simming since : FS5 floppy 3,5#, now I have FS8, FS9, FSX Gold and MSFS. Never ending issues; never sufficient budget and no room on my desk. Meaning; allways had to wait 10 years or more before I could buy the sim released 10 years earlier and only have space for my Monitor 25'' , 1 KB and mouse.  FS9 and FSX are perfectly flyable with KB and Mouse, can land my B777 on a 'stamp' if needed. If trimmed properly my C172 will fly straight and level until zero fuel even with A.Sky activated. Can do my nearby shoppings to find it still flying peacefully,  MSFS is not flyable with KB and mouse, I cannot enjoy the 'beautiful' MSFS scenery because any plane I use in MSFS starts yanking and rocking like a 'drunk pigeon' beyond 200ft AGL. It hurts me, I really want to enjoy MSFS so much, but each time after  starting and 'fighting' it for some 15 minutes I end up with the 'shut up and shut down' sequence and go back to my FSX.  Total Immersion and miles of fun guaranteed. And if I don't like what I see there's

allways 'Instant Scenery' to include whatever come's to my mind......

LPMA_Approach_FSX.thumb.jpg.8ec69a134f678cde6faf6adbd43bbe31.jpgmarshall_islands_pkmj-1.thumb.jpg.c3a03368578756bf04110f3d8f05ec68.jpgWhatscity2.thumb.jpg.bd5b5e1e9687356f29c7f8b8cd5b1133.jpg

Whatscity2.thumb.jpg.bd5b5e1e9687356f29c7f8b8cd5b1133.jpg

WIN11 - I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB    

B757_KBFI.jpg

• Like 1

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

On 9/18/2023 at 1:29 AM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Since I'm have not purchased 2020 as of yet, please explain. Other threads state that modem speed is not an issue, only memory.

Thanks.

Typed out a longer reply twice and lost it!  Basically, I pulled out the wifi antenna and reconnected a Cat 6 and now am getting 150+mbs.

They removed the download areas a while back and I haven't tried since.  It does run offline but is not "as real as it gets" where with internet it is pretty good in areas that have been updated in elevation and overlay.

Some areas are better than others but the whole world is improving and even Antarctica is  getting there.

Thanks for all the comments assisting me to understand the considerations for MSFS 2020.

Might just give it a little more time and wait to see what MS 2024 has to offer.

For now I'll just surreptitiously enjoy  seeing everyone's pics and discussions.

phrog x 2.jpg

On 9/17/2023 at 8:06 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Since MSFS2020 is an Xbox title, you can set it to run offline from the Xbox App on your PC:

spacer.png

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

2 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

run offline from the Xbox App on your PC

So you must use the XBox app?

So it is not an actual standalone program, but an XBox game?

Still not clear as to EXACTLY what FS2020 is.

Thx.

phrog x 2.jpg

• Founder
18 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Still not clear as to EXACTLY what FS2020 is.

Thx.

It's software like any other these days. You buy it. You download it. You run it. There's nothing really different about how it works.

You're overthinking this...if you find it at all appealing just buy it. I got it through Steam, which offers a refund within 14 days/2 hours of usage if you're not happy.

Obviously some people have had problems, but you find that with almost any piece of complex software. It's not perfect and never will be. But I've really enjoyed using it, and lots of others have too.

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

MSFS2020 is an Xbox Studios game title, so it's funded by Microsoft and it's produced by Asobo Studios in partnership with Xbox Studios. The Windows version is a Windows 10/11 Application (App) and is emphatically NOT a Windows Program in ANY shape or form. Like it or not, it's the future.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64