FSX "View Zoom In" command -- stopped working?

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

I am running FSX on a Windows 7 pc. Everything was fine, but now the "View Zoom In" ( = ) control function has stopped working; doesn't do anything. "View Zoom Out" ( - ) continues to work. Similarly, the "Backspace" function is working fine, returning the view to the base position.

I have searched various strings and tried fixes; Backspace key (to "reset"); "Ctrl and =" keys; "spacebar" (again to reset), but no change. Finally, I have looked in the fsx.cfg file but can't see anything obvious that might be causing the problem -- but I don't really know what to look for.

Any advice?

Thank you,

Brian

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, restarting the flight or program hasn't changed anything. I did verify my keyboard is transmitting the correct functions using a separate key assignment program.

Is it possible to check (or change) which keyboard keys are controlling which functions in FSX? I can only find my add-on sim hardware (yoke, trim wheel and quadrant) along with a mouse (not installed) listed in the Settings-Controls section of FSX -- not the keyboard. I'm not sure if its supposed to appear there? That said, all except the " = " key seem to be properly recognized by FSX

I've noticed the loss of either zoom key when using Locked Spot view on the aircraft before startup. If I do a Shift+P pushback and the aircraft moves, that's when the zoom is lost. After pressing (S) key to change views several times, the zoom features are back.

Zoom-bye-ya!

Under Settings/Controls you should have a buttons/keys section to list all of the keystrokes and their assignments.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi brian,

Not sure exactly what the problem is but I'll try to clear some things up.

The control settings are contained in "Standard.xml" in the Controls folder. The Controls folder is found in the same folder as FSX.cfg.

There is really no such thing as ""View Zoom In" ( = )".

Check this picture:

select.jpg

Note that "-" and "=" decrease and increase "Selection" respectively. As an example, if I pressed "R", which as shown in the image is assigned to Simulation rate, the rate would change, not the zoom. Clicking on the screen should once more allow the zoom to change.

Jim F.

In most cases if you lose keyboard zoom, just click anywhere on the screen

with the mouse, and it will come back. I have this happen quite often.

Not sure if this is the same issue, but that's the usual cure with a normally

operating sim.

Also make sure your = key hasn't failed due to keyboard malfunction or biscuit crumbs jamming the mechanism; try typing some text somewhere to see if it's still working.

You could try 'oovering out those biscuit crumbs;) or compressed air!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 1 year later...

When you change the 'focus' (go to another screen or minimize and or pause to edit cfg, etc) you need to CLICK ANYWHERE ON SCREEN. That is the definitive 'fix'. No other key presses or 'jiggling' mouse wheels or smacking monitor or keyboard is required (and in fact is frowned on). Left mouse click - DONE.

My own usual proceedure is press 'Alt+Enter' (Windowed mode), pause (no need to minimize) FSX. Go edit cfg. Then minimize cfg, CLICK ANYWHERE ON SCREEN, hit 'P' to unpause, press 'Alt' key to get menu, go 'Aircraft/Select Aircraft' and click 'OK' (as ac I am working on is already selected). If things are 'OK' then I 'Alt+Enter' (Full Screen) and go fly.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I use the LClick on the screen anyplace trick also, and it's always worked for me. Sometimes it takes a double click.

When I'm editing .cfg or .air files, I follow a similar procedure to Chuck above, although instead of the Select Aircraft trick, I have a joystick key assigned to "Reload User Aircraft" function. It seems to work better, at least for me.

Good luck with you trouble, sir. Hope you get it fixed :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If you lose both - and =, then CTRL-TAB should get them back. If you've onl;y lost one of them, it might be the control assignment in Options/Settings/Controls.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It was il88pp's fault (hehe). I just follow the leader (ha).
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived