American's New Jet-Powered Electra Flagship

Bravo Zulo Bill. Great aircraft for sure. 

After scouring hundreds of pics of the L-188/P-3 I'll have to pass on the extra credit (maybe ask me a H-46 question?).

Loved the vintage advertisement.

What I did lean was there are hundreds of wonderful paint schemes this aircraft wore, for so many operators, military and civil. 

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

5 hours ago, mrzippy said:

Only thing I can see that's missing is a small blade-shaped antenna that is usually somewhere along the top ridge of the fuselage.

Phrog and Mr. Z thanks for looking.  It probably would have helped if I had added "Can be seen from miles away."  I'm referring to the 4 trails of gray/brown engine exhaust from the D-501/T-56 engines, a visual dead ID giveaway in the RW airplanes.  It was modeled in FSX but didn't carry over in the FS2020 conversion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillD22 said:

I'm referring to the 4 trails of gray/brown engine exhaust from the D-501/T-56 engines, a visual dead ID giveaway in the RW airplanes. 

Too funny Bill. I was going to say exhaust trail! Tough decision, who was smokier, P-3 or B-52?

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

5 hours ago, jankees said:

as for smoke...

Now we're talking! Converting JP to smoke. "Those were the days...."

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

jet powered

I remember in aero classes at Pensacola we used to discuss the difference between "jet powered" vs "pure jet." 

Now that has evolved to "turbine powered" (such as turbo-prop) and "jet."

Bell Ranger vs Bell Jet-Ranger was a direct renaming to reflect a new engine (jet/turbine vs reciprocating).

I have had conversations with people who do not understand that turbine powered IS a jet.

image.thumb.jpeg.947844d07923ccac54688bab6390afe8.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

• Founder

Well, a jet engine is powered by a turbine, and a turbo-prop engine is powered by a turbine. They are very similar.

To be a "jet engine" it should generate propulsion via a jet of fluid (air). A turbine turning a propeller is not doing this so really is not a jet engine though it's easy to see people using that term anyway since it's so similar.

phrog x 2.jpg

6 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

Also thinking...isn't that false advertising?

To be a "jet powered" aircraft, the turbine engines would need to create thrust directly, rather than through the turning of propeller blades...

Well, I think the idea here was more "me too" rather than "false advertising."  The ad does say it's a turbo-prop engine thereby distinguishing it from a 100% "pure" jet.  The message was to convey speed.  In other words, "Just because you're flying on an old-fashioned-looking prop airplane instead of a hot new technology 707 jet doesn't mean you aren't going fast."

In this timeframe many other Electra operators used similar "me too" and prominent "JET" language in their ads and on their liveries to keep up with competitors who were dumping their Connies and DC-6s and going all jet.  See these examples:

image.thumb.jpeg.32d399413e11177bcf698b9060b6132c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7f95725c346fe7df7758dd237ac7fa84.jpeg

The joys of semantics and advertising.

phrog x 2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Ad another turbine wheel before the exhaust and you now have a turbo prop. 

It's as simple as that! Have that same shaft go through gearing and now you have a turbine-helicopter.

phrog x 2.jpg

1 minute ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

It's as simple as that! Have that same shaft go through gearing and now you have a turbine-helicopter.

Or a turbo prop fixed wing aircraft.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

2 hours ago, beroun said:

Nice shots BillD. Electra is also my favorite aircraft to fly!

Thanks, Peter.  One of mine too.  I keep hoping one of the payware developers will realize we have more than enough FS Airbus and Boeing/other glass cockpit planes and come up with an FS2020 L188 Electra version.  There's a big market out there if somebody wants to fill it. The KBT FSX model is good but only partially converts.

• Like 1