B 17 Simulation

rjolly306

Hello everyone! My brother was a B17 combat pilot Captain in the 8th AF during WWII who enlisted on 14 Apr 1942 and served for the duration. Others have helped me get prized information about him, his 2 air medals etc. 

I have since learned that, unfortunately, most of his records were destroyed in the big records fire in St Louis in 1973 along with so many others including my own.
I have about 325 hours in MSFS 2020 with props and jets. I want to honor my brother's memory by learning to fly a B17 in a flight simulator.
I would appreciate any recommendations for the best program with the best sim experience with accurate instrument detail for flying the Fortress. Your help will be most appreciated!  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Dgon55 said:

I enjoyed flying this B-17 https://a2asimulations.com/product/588/

I agree!  I thought it very immersive in FSX.  However I don't know if it works in 2020 or not. 

And thanks so much for your brother's service!  And from the sound of it, yours as well!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how to get rid of the ORBX aircraft entries under Select Aircraft? I try to keep the selection limited to a few at a time (I move aircraft folders within Sim Objects to a "hangar" folder). I uninstalled the ORBX aircraft, but they still appear in Select Aircraft.

There is no contact information available on the ORBX site.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

On 4/10/2023 at 5:11 PM, rjolly306 said:

Thanks for the input about the https://a2asimulations.com/product/588/  You are welcome!

Do I need FSX to make it work?  I have a Thrustmaster Hotas 4 controller.  Do I need something else.  Any recommendations would be appreciated for the best flying experience in the B=17.

What a great project! My experience is that the A2A is the most accurate currently available sim for the B17.  I believe it only works in FSX. You might also want to download a copy of the original WWII B17G flight manual.  Here's a link:

https://www.batguano.com/ejreppa/B-17FlightManual.pdf

You can certainly use a HOTAS but a yoke controller with a throttle quadrant would be more realistic for the B17.

Another thing to keep an eye on is that Microprose is working on a new B17 simulation that will be available on Steam.  It's been in development "coming soon" status for quite some time and may or may not be released anytime soon (or ever!) but if/when it is it looks to be the most immersive B17 experience ever with killer graphics.  They're also doing a parallel VR version.

See this link:  B-17 The Flying Fortress: The Bloody 100th | MicroProse

7 minutes ago, BillD22 said:

Another thing to keep an eye on is that Microprose is working on a new B17 simulation that will be available on Steam.  It's been in development "coming soon" status for quite some time and may or may not be released anytime soon (or ever!) but if/when it is it looks to be the most immersive B17 experience ever with killer graphics.  They're also doing a parallel VR version.

See this link:  B-17 The Flying Fortress: The Bloody 100th | MicroProse

Link to the VR version:  B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th VR | MicroProse