Which version do you own?

MSFS versions  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which version do you own?

• Standard
    • Deluxe
    • Premium Deluxe

I was wondering this the other day. My guess is that most people bought either the least expensive or most  expensive version. I only bought the Deluxe version simply for the enhanced Cape Town International airport, and the steam gauge 172. If it weren't for that, I'd have bought the Standard version, since, well it's a lot of money extra for stuff that I probably won't use.

I'm reasonably happy with my choice, since I visit Cape Town fairly frequently in the game and also have other scenery and airports in the area as well. I don't fly the any version of the 172 much these days however. But if I do, I usually go for the steam gauge one.

What about you? Which one did you get, why, and are you still satisfied with the purchase?

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

I went with the Deluxe to gain some aircraft but decided I didn't have sufficient interest in the 10 aircraft and 10 airports that the Premium Package added to warrant further expense. All three packages are the same sim of course.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Lol, there's no option for all 3 🙂

Yeah, I was stupid.  I bought Standard when it first came out thinking I could "upgrade" later on down the line (at a reduced rate), pfft, WRONG!!!

So a year or so later, the boss "let " me buy the Premium version, which also included the Deluxe version.  The price difference between the two upgrade version was not that much, so I went for it.

Least I got my C172 with Steam gauges 😄 

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I pre-ordered the Premium Deluxe version thinking that it might include more features than the others, like FSX Gold did. I don't regret the purchase at all, I run it on PC and Xbox, but I've deleted all the aircraft & liveries I don't use from the PC.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

1 hour ago, tiger1962 said:

I pre-ordered the Premium Deluxe version thinking that it might include more features than the others, like FSX Gold did. I don't regret the purchase at all, I run it on PC and Xbox, but I've deleted all the aircraft & liveries I don't use from the PC.

I'm quite limited on disk space, so I've done about the same. But I kept the planes that's used for traffic like the airliners and private jets, even though I only fly GA. But the liveries are in the trash, since I use FSLTL.

Been scrimpin' on computers and parts for far too long. First one I had was a used pc with a 10mb HD. Now, 87 is fading in my rear-view mirror, so when I built this one past August I said "what the hell, blow some of the kid's inheritance", so I went with closer to "top of the line with parts and software. 

2 hours ago, budreiser said:

Been scrimpin' on computers and parts for far too long. First one I had was a used pc with a 10mb HD. Now, 87 is fading in my rear-view mirror, so when I built this one past August I said "what the hell, blow some of the kid's inheritance", so I went with closer to "top of the line with parts and software. 

Ha, nice. I've been doing the same my whole life. Just about getting by with what's cheap - usually buying used.

But hunting for bargains van be a lot of fun. Ive always enjoyed optimising the use of my budget as much as possible.

I bought a used mining gpu of aliexpress for a reasonable price. It's a halluva upgrade, but now my system is hilariously unbalanced.

Based on the polling, I'm surprised so few people own the standard version. Most people jumped for the Premium Deluxe. Why is that? Is it a case of wanting a specific aircraft or airport, or more of 'what the hell, why not' situation?

If you had to give someone advice on which version to buy, what would your advice be? I'm thinking, with all the aircraft that's been added to all versions, and the modding community hitting its stride, that 95% of people would be perfectly happy with the standard. One can then simply download a freeware or payware aircraft/airport that you really want.

• Founder

I went with the standard version. If you think about how most people use their flight simulator, the actual functionality of the core sim software is what matters, and that's included in all three versions. After a while the typical person ends up buying or downloading the add-on planes and scenery they really want vs using the default. I figured it better to save some money on the initial purchase and then use that later to buy add-ons that I really want.

9 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

I went with the standard version. If you think about how most people use their flight simulator, the actual functionality of the core sim software is what matters, and that's included in all three versions. After a while the typical person ends up buying or downloading the add-on planes and scenery they really want vs using the default. I figured it better to save some money on the initial purchase and then use that later to buy add-ons that I really want.

This is true, however 🙂 I could not find a 3rd party seller of the C172 WITH steam gauges.  That is the ONLY reason I upgraded.  

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I purchased the Premium Deluxe version from the Microsoft Store. I always say, go big or go home! No regrets.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:53 PM, davidc2 said:

This is true, however 🙂 I could not find a 3rd party seller of the C172 WITH steam gauges.  That is the ONLY reason I upgraded.  

The steam gauge C172 in itself doesn't seem a reason enough for the extra cost (IMHO anyway), specially when we have a wonderful steam gauge C152, which gets far above any other stock aircraft when you add to it the superb freeware JPLogistics enhancement mod.

Incidentally, there's a similar mod by bagolu for the C172, but it only covers the glass cockpit version, since the steam gauge C172 appears to be 'encrypted' (ironical, ain't it?) 🙄

Even if I rushed to buy the Deluxe version, I've always regretted it, since I ended deleting most of the extra aircraft and using almost exclusively 3rd party add-ons, just as Nels stated above. But you already knew this, don't you? We've discussed this in the past.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I think it's nice that prospective MSFS2020 buyers have choices to fit their budgets and desires. All three choices are good and none are 'better' than the others. My only gripe would be the high cost of upgrading to a higher level version. Microsoft missed a customer service/fan loyalty opportunity IMHO. It shouldn't have been more than about $25-$30 to move up a notch..... again merely MY opinion. Other than that I'm luvin' the sim flight experience Asobo created.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

3 hours ago, chicagorandy said:

I think it's nice that prospective MSFS2020 buyers have choices to fit their budgets and desires. All three choices are good and none are 'better' than the others. My only gripe would be the high cost of upgrading to a higher level version. Microsoft missed a customer service/fan loyalty opportunity IMHO. It shouldn't have been more than about $25-$30 to move up a notch..... again merely MY opinion. Other than that I'm luvin' the sim flight experience Asobo created.

Randy, you and I are on the same page 😄

I "thought" that the upgrade would have been at a WAY lower cost then it was.  Sigh 🙂   I still enjoy flying the C172 with my Steam gauges, lol