For a few years now I've been using a set of Saitek Rudder pedals, they've never been any more than adequate but now the plastic is starting to crack in places and last night the left brake stopped working.

So im looking for some new pedals, the prices I've seen are like everything today..... shocking, but nothing I can do about that.

Anybody got recommendations?, 90% of my time is in light taildraggers so they get a lot of use

I had a set of CH pedals for years before I experienced the same problem.  I replaced them with a set of Logitech Pro pedals.  If I am not mistaken, Saitek is now Logitech.  As you noted, the price is a shocker.  However, both products have worked well for me.

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

I've been using the economical CH products for years with zero issues (all purchased lightly used), attached to a USB switch box. So depending on type aircraft I go between yoke with attached throttles/rudders to joystick/throttle/rudders. And the CH software is excellent. 

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I'm reasonably happy with my Thrustmaster TFRP units. They were a 'compromise' purchase in April 2020 when I saw the cost for the really nice ones. I don't fly the sim often enough to warrant spending the big bucks. Last time I checked Amazon has them for $130 USD.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

First pedals I ever  had were the CH Products, back in the days when everything was old dsub serial port connected, but thats so long ago I cant remember how good/bad they were.

Ive looked at the tfrp ones, but no way am I paying £400-£500 which is what they go for over here in the UK (amazing you can got them for what works out at just over £100 Randy, id buy a set for that straight away)

This is the model rudder pedal I have -

Thrustmaster TFRP

I'll give them 7-8 out of 10?  They ARE mostly plastic sliding back &  forth on metal rods. They function quite well IMHO given their price point. They are plug and play devices BUT they require a separate from the Yoke console USB port. Not enough power available on the open USB port of the Logitech yoke. I solved the issue by velcro-ing an economy USB 3.0 4 port hub to the front of my desktop PC.

USB 4 port hub

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Thanks Randy, my current pedals also use their own port and I have a seperate joystick and throttle (not a yoke user) so not a problem.

But its all on hold for while now as I just spent half an hour in the workshop and courtesy of a soldering Iron, some super Glue and Bicarbonate of soda my pedals live again, Ill remember your comments when they get beyond fixing

Same with me here, using the Thrustmater T.Rudder Pedals. I have no long term experience since I got those only recently but so far I am happy with the product especially when considering the price. I personally would not like to spend 400 USD on rudder pedals. The return springs could be a little stronger but I have no comparison with other products.

tfrp-rudder_6.jpg

Not sure what your price point is, but I've read many reviews on MFG Crosswinds and just bought them a few weeks ago. They are a very high quality Hall-Effect unit, no plastic involved, (except one adjustment knob) and fortunately about $250 cheaper than the TM TPR pedals. Delivery time was less than seven days. They are very adjustable, and have several options for profiles that one could use other than the "default". I encourage you check YT for some of the reviews. An exceptional product. I wholeheartedly endorse them. Even after looking at the HC Charlie units, the MFG are such a cut above. More adjustments, less plastic. The designer and owner of the company, Milan, responds to any email query. Very responsive to customer questions. Good luck...Blue skies..Terry

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 2:46 AM, simtech95209 said:

Not sure what your price point is, but I've read many reviews on MFG Crosswinds and just bought them a few weeks ago. They are a very high quality Hall-Effect unit, no plastic involved, (except one adjustment knob) and fortunately about $250 cheaper than the TM TPR pedals. Delivery time was less than seven days. They are very adjustable, and have several options for profiles that one could use other than the "default". I encourage you check YT for some of the reviews. An exceptional product. I wholeheartedly endorse them. Even after looking at the HC Charlie units, the MFG are such a cut above. More adjustments, less plastic. The designer and owner of the company, Milan, responds to any email query. Very responsive to customer questions. Good luck...Blue skies..Terry

What country are you in? I cannot find any of these pedals in the U.S., and even at the MFG website they're not available for sale.

Ryzen 5800X, RTX 3080, 32GB RAM (3600),EVGA 850W Gold PSU, Gigabyte X570 Master mb, Noctua NH-U12A, Samsung 1TB 970 EVO+ PCIEe 3, D: drive 1TB PNY PCIe 3, Honeycomb yoke and throttle quadrant, LG 34" ISP 1440 monitor, Internet 230 Mbs over Wi-Fi

TPR Thrustmaster pendular rudder pedals if you want something that you can pass on to your kids and then their kids..... not cheap around £400... they are overbuilt and manufactured from metal, personally i think they are worth every cent.... it took me a while to click purchase around a year ago a lot of money for the hobby,  they would become one of the smartest flight sim buys I've made to date, I don't know how I flew with out them.... you can check out my ring in my blog....

81-Oknj-Sh-Gk-L-AC-SL1500.jpg

• Like 1

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I did not intend to shout so loud lol....  it will not let me lose the bold letters because I pasteted TPR Thrustmaster at the beginning of the post arrggg!

• Like 1

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Folks, unless you managed to score one of the Honeycomb Charlies, Thrustmaster TPR is the only real choice, in terms of something that actually looks and works like real rudder pedals.  All the rest of them that look like the ones illustrated above, where your feet merely slide back and forth, are completely inaccurate - with the possible exception of one WWII fighter plane rudders have not worked like that pretty much since Glenn Curtis.  I know the TPR's are expensive, but as has been said here, they are worth it.  I had a chance to try out the Honeycomb Charlie at Oshkosh last year and they too look and work correctly.  They should be a few buck cheaper than the TPR's, if cost is in play....

5 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

It's not? 🤔

So if you have the cheddar (money) then it's a no-brainer the Thrustmaster Pendulum pedals are your best bet for an optimum flying experience and last a few lifetimes... they are adjustable so you have the correct pressure that suits the user. the only thing you have to do is rig the peddles, they come unattached for shipping...... for adjustment/fine-tuning the pressure/resistance (I did not need to adjust mine), there are lots of YT videos.... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, avallillo said:

Thrustmaster TPR is the only real choice, in terms of something that actually looks and works like real rudder pedals. 

Rather a a definitive statement and not true. Every Airplane Ive flown irl except an rv8 (not that many I'll admit) had the pivot point below the actual pedal..the reverse of the TPR.

6 hours ago, daspinall said:

if you have the cheddar

That was my only point, with a huge IF for many many simmers. Always remember that as long as you are having fun, any controls are perfect. And even though I have a Yoke, Pedals, Throttle, Joystick dual-monitor set up, 90% of my flying is done sitting in the sunroom with my laptop using a 20+ year old Microsoft SideWinder only. So no matter you price point, or experience, the key is Have Fun!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

In all the sims I've flown previously over 15 years, I never had a yoke or pedals just a twist Joystick keyboard and mouse and that was it... pending on your requirement for realism it's all that's needed....  I spent far more than I initially set aside but I love my VR sim and the realism I get from it was worth the cost IMO.... Most simmers due to lack of funds and I was once one of them!, will make do with the basics as I once did and some will build a complete fully functional cockpit costing tens of thousands...  not dripping in money I choose the middle ground... It always comes down to money and we all end up with what we can afford and I guess that's the bottom line.....  

I'm out of here, good luck and happy landing whatever you end up buying and flying..... catch you in another thread...... end trans.....

Milleron: I live here in Ca. They are generally available at the very end of the month or at the first week. They sell out fast. You can email the owner, Milan, and he will reply with the expected availability dates. They ship worldwide and are a smaller company. I only had to wait about two weeks when I wanted mine. After almost a month of daily use, I have no complaints whatever. No plastic like the Charlie pedals and don't cost $600 or weigh twenty pounds like the TPR.

That's why there's diversity in the market. Different strokes for different folks..😄

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

They are weighted for a good reason, to stop movement and sliding when in use..... 😉

On 2/26/2023 at 9:01 AM, daspinall said:

we all end up with what we can afford and I guess that's the bottom line..... 

True words.

phrog x 2.jpg