North Carolina Hop in the Boonies

Reading the current issue of FLYING, I noticed them focusing on some STOL landings in the Tennessee and North Carolina area. One of the small airports they landed at was 22W. So I thought I'd do some tail-dragging around that area as well. So we're going from 22W to NC16 in a Cub.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks for your comments Guys!

I was about 9 when I took my first plane ride. It was an old Piper Cub in not nearly this good a shape. In fact they didn't even have that type of off the airport landing gear way back then! We flew a few loops around a tiny GA airport which makes both of these shown here look huge in comparison.

Of course I was hooked on flying and couldn't wait to get my license and ratings including choppers, several models and types of fixed wings, including a Beech Bonanza my buddy owned, etc.

All good things must end and when my friend was killed in a combat chopper crash my Bonanza trips ended. Later, I broke my neck in a different combat chopper crash, that put me into sims rather than as a PIC of any RW aircraft for the rest of my days.

Having said that, years ago I was suffering severe depression. My shrink and I talked about how much I missed being a pilot and he turned me onto sims. I've spent a ton of money building the best computers for flight sim that technology allowed at any given time. Sadly the new MSFS doesn't work with multiple monitors as all the older sims seemed to. So I fly the old sims where I can enjoy similar views to what I had while flying in the PIC seat.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.