$500 Candy Bar Hop

Long ago when I was still current, my pal and i would fly as often as we could afford the fuel in his Beech Bonanza. We called them $50 Hamburger flights. The current issue of Flying featured what they called a $500 Candy Bar Hop. It goes from Hayward Executive (KHWD) to Nut Tree (VCB) in California. Since we're simming we can always "sneak" into controlled airspace. So since Travis AFB (SUU) is very near their route I decided I fly over it as well.

PS: Since this article was written months ago, with the Ukraine invasion, I'm no sure anyone can afford to fly anywhere because of the LL fuel shortages!! :eek::eek:

(As I usually do, I've provided some information with the screenies. Just click on each one to make it larger and read my comments.)

1 Ready at KHWD.jpg

1 Reay to go @KHWD.jpg

3 Cockpit View.jpg

4 HWB below.jpg

5 Right Winf Viewof HWB @2,500'.jpg

6 Climbing to 4,000'.jpg

7 Over the Knobs.jpg

8 That's Travis (KSUU) ahead.jpg

9 That hyper long runway at SUU is there in case a space shuttle or other craft needs to land on.jpg

10 Gear down on the downwind leg .jpg

More shots on the Reply. ;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Nice post Michael, private flights in Holland are almost zero at the moment...:mad: But: in the near past you "borrowed" many planes remember.....TSK! Half of my fleet are left with empty tanks scattered all over the planet! HUH!!!
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice post Michael, private flights in Holland are almost zero at the moment...:mad: But: in the near past you "borrowed" many planes remember.....TSK! Half of my fleet are left with empty tanks scattered all over the planet! HUH!!!

YES I ENJOYED EVERY ONE OF THEM!! And as I've said before just send me a current credit card and I'll be happy to start ferrying them home. IT'S EASIER TO FLY WHEN NO ONE ELSE IS. :cool:;)

Not sure if the Nut Tree airport is still in business. Nut Tree Restaurant and Coffee Tree both shut down many moons ago, Kemosabe!

Well the article I used to get the idea for the flight I posted is this months issue. Plus I just went on the AOPA flight planning site and it not only says they're operating, it also lists the price of their fuel, active runways, etc., metars, etc. So I can only assume it's still fully operational.

Michael

Edited by Rupert