Missing Aircraft in FSX

Downwind66

Very Strange thing, I went to find an aircraft this evening, only to find that I am missing 12 downloaded folders/and their associated aircraft listings within FSX. Missing Airbus A300B4 thru Airbus A320, some 27 aircraft.

These aircraft show up in Windows 7 Sim Ojects/airplanes but do not appear in the FSX "Select Aircraft" section? :rolleyes:

I have checked to see if anything such as Manufacturer has been deleted, and all look to be in order and should appear in the FSX aircraft directory?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Rick :(

Okay, on closer examination, it appears that the missing aircraft had panel entries which alias'd them to the default Airbus A321 panel. Maybe a change was made which will not allow that to happen anymore? Got my work cut out for me now, but I know now what needs to be done!:rolleyes:

Just delete all the alias'd panel entries and if you are happy with the default A321 panel, just copy and paste the panel folder to each appropriate aircraft that is missing a panel. I probably could have done some more research on what has changed and find out if there is a new way of aliasing panels to other aircraft. I now have all my aircraft back and I am relieved that was all it took to get them back!

Oh Goodie, Alias'd Sound, apparently same deal. Lots of work for sure!

Rick:cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Okay, at age 73, I guess I am entitled to a few brain pharts along the way? Here is what I did to create this mess!

I had a folder Airbus A321, which was the source to all my original alias panel and sound entries.

One day, I get the bright idea to number how many of these aircraft I have within the folder and also change the folder name to reflect it being a default. Here is what I changed it to:

Airbus_A321 Default (5)

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you can't do that without effecting the other folders that are dependent on using that a source for aliasing panels and sounds!!

Live and Learn, I guess!:rolleyes:

Rick :cool::cool::cool:

Glad you found your problem, Rick, and thanks for getting back to explain the cause and fix. As you found, the ability to do aliases is a mixed blessing because of exactly what you encountered, so documentation and monitoring is needed.

One thing that can help a lot is a comment at the top of each aircraft.cfg, panel.cfg, etc. that you made an alias to such and such, the date, and any other pertinent information. It wouldn't hurt to also make a comment at the top of the .cfg for whatever you aliased to as a reminder when you start troubleshooting.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I'm also still in Win 7. It avoids the forced updates (I do it when I'M ready) and other items in Win 10 (I have a Win 10 laptop) and the even worse forcing of all kinds of things by MS on Win 11 (my wife recently got a Win 11 laptop). I'd go to Win 7 on both of them if I could.

Note that my Win 7 is still on the original machine that came with the Win 7 installed, an 11½ year old Digital Storm system (it was very high end then) that has served me well. It runs FSX fairly well (as it did 12 years ago) and it runs P3D V2 fairly well, too (better than with FSX, actually), so serves my FS needs perfectly, along with my video editing software and some other useful stuff.

Don't knock it, many of us feel it's a better operating system than the later ones, though it lacks some "features" that I'm just as happy to do without.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks for the comments Jerry. I like whatever works for me and in this case, Windows 7 is on my computer and that is what I like at the moment! I do have a laptop that has Windows 8.1 on it, it has saved me the past 2 years as Turbo Tax will not run on Windows 7 anymore!:rolleyes:

Seeing that you live in the same town as I do, when my computer dies, I will look you up!:D

Rick :cool::cool:

You could run Windows 7 as you do now (the host) and Windows 10 or 11 in a virtual machine. I like VMware Workstation Player. Others like VirtualBox, but in my use of that software I had nothing but issues time and time again. I'd try it, have issues, uninstall and try it again a year latter.

If, and ONLY IF you don't want updates EVER, check out Windows 10 AME. It's not for everyone, and building it yourself may be out of your pay grade.

You could also strip Windows 10/11 down with NTLite and use some third-party tools at Github to help control the mess for a PC (Personal Computer) which it is not. It's a Personal Cow! You're the cash cow, and the OS is the manure.

If you know what an ASN is (pull out your favorite search engine and look it up), I can tell you I recorded no less than twenty! (20) being used for telemetry in 10. I have yet to try my hand at 11. It's as if Microsoft turned the PC OS into a cousin of the asinine smart device. Heck! It's all right there in the EULA you agree to once you install the OS. No debate needed at all.

Anyway, yeah, Windows 7 (or even better, XP) are fine OS's for these old Sims of FSX, FS2004 and before (Bustn' out rhymes). The latest and "greatest" FS2020 will of course require 10 on up. I may wait for an Xbox emulator some years latter for that. HAHAHA

Edited by CRJ_simpilot
"Come on, man!"

You could run Windows 7 as you do now (the host) and Windows 10 or 11 in a virtual machine.

Certainly it is possible, but why would I want to? There IS no reason since I don't want their "features."

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks Aaron and Larry! Yes, have to say, Windows7 has worked for me well over the years, but, the only thing that has reminded myself that Windows 7 system has dated itself, I am starting to see some programs not wanting to use it anymore! Turbo Tax, which my wife enjoys :rolleyes: using every year, ABSOLUTELY, will not run on Windows 7. What I may do is upgrade the laptop from 8.1 to a newer venue and continue on with "Old Faithful" and Windows 7. I did purchase a brand new hardrive for a spare in the event of the "unexpected" and have a backup copy of Windows 7, so I will be one who plays "hard to get" in the end!

Have a nice day Guys!

Rick :cool: