Generic Aircraft in MSFS ATC

This is no use for VATSIM or IVAO, but if you get a lot of “Generic” aircraft mentioned in MSFS ATC comms, you can actually re-name them by editing the aircraft.cfg file for each generic plane in your LocalCache\Packages\Official folder.

Scroll down the list of aircraft to:

Asobo-aircraft-generic-airliner-quadengines

Asobo-aircraft-generic-airliner-twinengines

Asobo-aircraft-generic-piston-multiengines

Asobo-aircraft-generic-piston-singleengine

Asobo-aircraft-generic-privatejet

Asobo-aircraft-generic-turbo-multiengines

Asobo-aircraft-generic-turbo-singleengine

You can use any name you like to replace “Generic”, but I’ve used the ‘most likely’ type based on the model appearance and/or a flyable type in the sim. Open each aircraft.cfg with Notepad and under the [GENERAL] heading, look for:

[GENERAL]

atc_type = “$$:Generic”

atc_model = “$$:”

The model name for Generic planes isn’t used by ATC, so I’ve only changed the atc_type as follows:

Airliner Quadengines: atc_type = “$$:Airbus” ← looks like an A380?

Airliner Twinengines: atc_type = “$$:Boeing” ← probably the most common twin engine airliner?

Piston Multiengines: atc_type = “$$:Beech” ← similar to the Baron in the sim?

Piston Singleengine: atc_type = “$$:Piper” ← looks like a Cherokee?

Privatejet: atc_type = “$$:Cessna” ← similar to the Citation in the sim?

Turbo Multiengines: atc_type = “$$:Beechcraft” ← similar to the King Air in the sim?

Turbo Singleengine: atc_type = “$$:Pilatus” ← looks like a PC-12?

This makes a noticeable difference in the sim and has no effect on FPS.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim,

Great tip!!!

Right now I'm using Simple Traffic (want Just Flight FS Traffic due for release Q1 2022) and that always bothered me even with real world liveries to hear "Generic" mentioned.

Wondering though if MSFS SU's will over write the changes when the updating.

Edited by dogdish
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Yes, SU8 and any other Sim Update will overwrite those edits, so back them up before updating!

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• 1 month later...
Noticed during WU8 downloading that Asobo updated the generic models again. So had to redo 6 of the 7 of the generic models.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro