FSX Hat Switch Panning Troubles

HardCub

Hello my friends. It's Glenn. I need some help with a VERY frustrating joystick issue I've been fighting for weeks. I recently bought a new laptop (see specs) and installed the new MSFS2020. Everything looks amazing. Then I installed my Steam-Edition FSX, Orbx, Rex, etc. I've never seen FSX look so awesome in my life - WOW!!! Everything was great @ very high-end settings! Initially.

Then suddenly for the 1st time since buying it over a decade ago, my trusty Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick malfunctioned. I no longer can use the Hat Switch to "Pan" around in views. It ONLY moved forwards/backwards and zooms rapidly IN & OUT. Only IF you are lucky in the moment, and can hit a 45* angle just right will it sometimes pan around, but at the wrong angle and direction. I never touched the control menu in FSX prior to the malfunction. I have researched, tried/re-tried clearing/assigning views, etc. through the FSX controls menu interface, and I downloaded the Logitech software in hopes this would fix it too. So far, nothing is working to restore my Panning ability in FSX.

However... in using MSFS2020, the joystick performs perfectly as it should. ??????? Also, my CH-Products Flight Yoke still works perfectly in Panning mode as well. To further test things, I borrowed my dad's Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. Exact same results. No Panning ability. When trying to assign the movement in the control setting menu, the window remains blank with an audio beep when pressing the Hat Switch on the joystick... but nothing shows up in the window as a selected control. It works perfectly on his FSX at his house.

What in the world has happened??? Has anyone else ever experienced this issue, and how did you fix it? I would really appreciate any advice and help. I hate to bother anyone, but I am out of ideas here.

-tired and confused.. Glenn

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

Well... guys, I have to report that I AM truly an idiot. :rolleyes:Geeeezzz. I just figured out what the answer was to my problem. I still don't know WHY it's causing it, but I figured out how to stop it. I've used a USB control hub for many, many years to plug all of my flight control units into, thereby freeing up most of my onboard USB slots on the computer, or laptop. This method has always worked great. However, it just occurred to me that I hadn't checked that possibility yet that the hub might be a conflict issue maybe?? I unplugged my joystick, and plugged it directly into one of my laptop USB ports. Instant success! :D The Hat switch is working correctly again in FSX.

:(Wow. I feel like such an idiot. LOL Maybe if anyone else ever has this issue they will see this post sometime, and be able to fix their problem too like I did. I hope you all have a great day, and maybe this made you chuckle. I'm glad I figured it out. Now I can go enjoy some much needed flying time! :pilot:

Have a wonderful Sunday everybody! -Glenn

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

:mad::confused::( So... I spoke too soon. Apparently the joystick only works for a few minutes correctly, even when plugged directly into the computer/laptop. I went to pan around the view to start my taxi sequence to the runway... and instantly I had the same issue as before. It will not pan around. It only moves forward/backward and raise seat view up/down. At this point I am just like... I don't know what to do.

I could be way off base but your description of the FSX behavior sounds very much like the default MSFS 2020 behavior. Is it possible you are using non default install locations and the configuration files are crossing wires? Stranger things have happened.

Just a thought - Doug

Thank you Doug for the advice. This possibility never occurred to me. My Legion 5 laptop shipped with a 500GB M.2 drive. MSFS2020 was initially installed on that C drive along with the OS, because my whole intent was to see if the Legion would run the new sim. I quickly realized this original drive would never be enough to hold the new sim, not to mention my other sims. So I ordered an additional 1TB M.2 drive and upgraded the RAM to 32GB. I used the Microsoft option offered to "move" MSFS2020 to the 2nd drive. It said everything was successful, and everything has been working perfectly through several of the MSFS2020 updates. Then a week after the last update, I suddenly had no hat switch in FSX. When I installed FSX, it was also installed to the 2nd larger drive. Maybe you are right. I probably need to format everything (to be safe) and start with a fresh install of everything. I created a special USB before using the laptop to restore it to factory status like it arrived. I think I may be looking at a complete reboot. At least then I can select the larger drive properly, which would've been the ideal location the first time. Thank you Doug. This might fix it. :cool:

IMO MSFS2020 is the single worst software that has happened to simming with a computer in the 20 plus years I've done it. I've given up on it entirely and don't even have it installed anymore. I'm much happier and fly more this way. IF YOU REFORMAT, DON'T BOTHER WITH 2020. Want a change of pace try P3D or X-Plane. They work fine and the control inputs are the standard ones as well.

You'll probably be happier all the way around. Remember it was primarily intended for hand held devices not an actual real computer. ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.