In reading and looking at all the posts in Msfs 2020 . I am wondering why so many have so many problems with so many things so many times ?. The so many things so many times causing so many problems seems just endless ,

Do any have any answers ?

The first reason, is that it is just different. People that got used to FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, and FSX, which all used similar commands and keys, as well as many functions. If you could use the AP in FS2002, you could use the AP in FSX. This is different and people try to use the same ways in MSFS and it does not work the same. There are plenty of videos, but the common refrain is "I have run flight sims for years, I don't need a video!" They do!!

Second, this program does demand some computer power, and also some computer cooling. People try to load it on their 4th generation I7, which is full of dust for many years, and they over heat and crash. They try to run it on a laptop. They try to run it with an old GPU below the required specs. They try to use slow outdated memory. They try to use an old HDD. They start off on on e SSD and decide to upgrade and have a disaster when they move everything. In short, they don't start with a capable machine!

Third, you will notice that a lot of the same folks have problems over and over and over., Also some folks have slow internet connections, and these folks will have repeated problems. Some folks just try to make it difficult. They add every device imaginable, three screens, two joysticks and a set of pedals and a yoke, patched through some secondary device... Other folks add every addon they can find, and fail to maintain a clean machine when they update. Still others get impatient during updates and bail out too soon, corrupting files and generating file fragments. Ohers never clean and optimize their machines. Some try to load onto a drive that is too full (it needs more than the used space in order to unpack files). These folks are less fastidious.

I have been running it on the same machine for over a year, without any reinstalls and with very few problems. There are others much like me. Few of them just post spontaneously "I am not having any problems." ,

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Keeping yr computer dustfree is essential. I have I7 6700K (stockcooler) GTX1050ti 16GB Ram(1 stick!!) HDD 1 TB. I got MSFS from the start, X-Box $ 1,99 , then in Holland: 2 months Pringles action $ 4,99 In total I was able to use it for 4 months. My PC is kept together with ductape and rubber bands. My 10 yr old HDD is 99% full and super fragmented. But my PC is 100% dustfree, I clean it every 3 months. (remove GPU and brush and vacuum inside the case. In the 4 months I used MSFS (which was then full of all the first errors) I never had 1 CTD........ Now saving for a better system and looking forward to buying and starting MSFS again. Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

In reading and looking at all the posts in Msfs 2020 . I am wondering why so many have so many problems with so many things so many times ?. The so many things so many times causing so many problems seems just endless ,

It's called buggy software. lol

Mark Daniels

Keeping yr computer dustfree is essential.But my PC is 100% dustfree, I clean it every 3 months. (remove GPU and brush and vacuum inside the case. .

Ok Thanks . piet and plainsman . Yes it is sure different . My internet connection is very good I think but my PC isn't up to par for this msfs I guess .It will run it tho . No way I'm going to lay out 2 or 3 thousand just for msfs tho. The updates seem to create an untold # of problems . Not sure if a better machine would solve that.

Haven't had too many problems lately . Dreading the next update tho .

Thanks for the advice on doing a cleaning piet . Someone else mentioned that too . Going to have to do that and see if it helps .

You don't own it, and have no valid experience, Mark! That is NOT what others in this thread have said or inferred.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Truth be told: MSFS 2020 was released to the public on August 18, 2020. It was basically a beta application (almost a completely new flight sim designed from scratch) with many inherent problems. But as the Microsoft Corporation had a big stake in XBox, they were gung ho to release it. So now, 14 months later, the Asobo Team is still busy tweaking, fixing problems, and updating MSFS.

But as they say, patience is a virtue...

Yes. MSFS has had so many updates and so many hotfixes with so many release notes containing so many answers which have never been read by so many simmers.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Most of my computer crashes have been caused by add-ons in the Community folder. Small changes in the updates can cause problems. That is why they advise to empty Community folder before updating. I love add-ons, so I will continue the risk.
Windows 11, Intel i9-9900K, 32GB DDR4/3000 MHz, GeForce RTX 2070, 1TB M.2 Drive dedicated to Flight Sim

Plainsman and tiger1962 sum it up about as best as possible. I waited a full year before building a rig and getting MSFS. I got the disc version just for nostalgia sake but wished I'd have just gotten the Steam version. The only real issue I ever had was with the Microsoft Store which requires occasional "housekeeping" on things. Other than that, after now 6 weeks with MSFS, I cannot be happier. I'm still playing around with a lot of settings around controls as I'm far from as pleased with the yoke response (read: over response in pitch specifically) in it than in all previous FS versions. I've played around with the response curves and gotten the feel better, but it will take an update or a serious mod in a .cfg file to get it where it was like FSX and before.

I had a full year to do my homework and research other people's problems (thank you early adopters!) and I took full advantage of it. I don't know about others, but I've always put FS in the default installation directory on the Windows drive with nothing else on that drive. I have a different drive for Steam games entirely and all other files like in-game screenshots and videos. Whether this helps reduce crashes and glitches is up for debate, but I do know that people who try and get fancy with trying to point where their MSFS installation goes have reported a lot of issues here.

I love the near aftermarket complex capabilities of the default aircraft, specifically the CJ4 and Longitude and TBM 730. You have full FMS capability with aircraft that have one, and even better, can import your own custom flight plan with SimBrief or Skyvector. That's something we never had capability of doing with anything default in FSX! I have a handful of scenery upgrades on airports but have not been confident enough to buy a payware aftermarket complex aircraft yet like the CRJ700. Same with a payware aftermarket weather program like Rex. Every update seems to break something with those. All that said, it's the weekend, and time to fire up and go flying!

Edited by N069NT
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

"There are others much like me. Few of them just post spontaneously "I am not having any problems." ,"

I fall into that category - had it on my barely 'recommended' spec desktop since April 2020 and can honestly say "I am NOT having any problems" and in fact have never experienced a CTD. And I further suspect 'most' MSFS 2020 owners would say the same. People post to forums like this 'mostly' only when they are having an issue, which tends to skew negative to the casual observer, but there are millions of owners out there and they don't post.

Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Thanks everyone for your input . A couple of more things I'd like to add . I have been doing quite a few of those Bush flights and for the most part things have been going not to bad . They do seem a little boring to do. Seems to be the same thing over and over again . Yes your flying in different parts of the world but when the game gives you info about the landmarks it's really not that great , Most times you can't see what is being talked about , Might as well tell me "And there's Tim-Buc- Tu " And trying to fly the headings and time doesn't work all that well . Unless you were to fly at the same speed and make the heading changes at the exact same time as the flight maker did by the time you reach the destination airport you could be miles out.

Another thing that happens to me is I get up to a certain allitude ,then trim my plane . But if I then happen to touch the joystick or throttle the trim seems to go to nearly full nose-up trim all by itself . Then if you aren't quick enough you go into a stall and spin and crash.

The logbook and statistics pages don't make any sense , I have a lot of entries showing 0 take-offs and landings that are entered in the log book .If I didn't take off and land why is it entered in the logbook? Also I have made some departures and landings and the haven't been entered,

In my player profile statistics it says I only landed at 33 different airports . Also says only 42 succeeded take offs It's been A LOT more than that I think .

Also those achievement reward things you get are really chincey and bland . Guess I'm spoiled with the nice pretty ones you got in FSX .

Anyway I guess we're stuck with 2020 for now if we want something a little new

You’re spot on Randy. People tend to only post when they have a problem, not when it’s going well.

I presume you’ve been running it since August? (not April LOL)

I on the other hand, have been running it since February 2020 (alpha tester). I’ve had my share of problems and the occasional CTD, but usually it’s my own making.

I am loving the sim and it amazes me every time I use it :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Yes, I meant August 2020 - LOL Slow brain and slower fingers.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

You don't own it, and have no valid experience, Mark! That is NOT what others in this thread have said or inferred.

There are a million games I’ve never played and never owned that I could tell you are buggy as heck. You don’t need to play and own a game to know if it is buggy.

On such a game’s dedicated forum there will always be people who deny everything.

Giving the OP the most accurate answer.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

That is just the opposite of accurate! The replies to this thread had numerous people that have owned and operated the software, unlike yourself, and found it to work fine if used correctly. About 10 threads down you see an example of the problem. Someone posts that the market place is malfunctioning. In to the thread, there is an OOOPPS, I made3 a simple mistake and it was working all along. This is the vast majority of the issues As Tiger pointed out, people don't read the directions, post a problem, then it looks like a glitch, when it was user error. People just read the thread title, never digging down to see it was an OOOPPS! Again, I implore you to just go away until you own the product and have a valid opinion!

That is just the opposite of accurate! The replies to this thread had numerous people that have owned and operated the software, unlike yourself, and found it to work fine if used correctly. About 10 threads down you see an example of the problem. Someone posts that the market place is malfunctioning. In to the thread, there is an OOOPPS, I made3 a simple mistake and it was working all along. This is the vast majority of the issues As Tiger pointed out, people don't read the directions, post a problem, then it looks like a glitch, when it was user error. People just read the thread title, never digging down to see it was an OOOPPS! Again, I implore you to just go away until you own the product and have a valid opinion!

So I imagine on your accurate information there will be no need for any further bug fixing patches. All updates should now only be new features. Great!

Mark Daniels

I don't really get it plainsman. You make some great suggestions and I'm sure also identify a lot of common problems for what is a particularly demanding game. However the hotfixes and bug reports from Asobo should be enough confirmation for anyone regarding the constant CTDs and various other issues the game has had.

I'm glad it's been working for you, but I've gone through three systems personally where it hasn't worked. They have all been great systems and the two I run now work flawlessly since the latest hotfix. I'm not talking about the general bugs in game either, I'm really talking about stability which was an early deal breaker for me.

I'm glad I could use the past tense earlier as well, I really do think that the vast majority of CTD bugs have been worked out. I'm now an extra 50 hours in since the latest hotfix with no changes to my system and also no CTDs.

The rest of the bugs will get worked out in time, but if you look at how long it has taken to fix relatively serious bugs in the past, it's no wonder people get annoyed.

For example, when I bought the game, rudder control had been broken through a patch. It took two subsequent patches for it to be worked out properly. This kind of thing just shouldn't have happened, and shouldn't be left unchecked for as long as it was.

Anyway, it's not like I don't like the game, I do, but it has taken a year to get here and for most other games, this kind of stuff would have been worked out in beta testing.

Edited by LanPartyPizza
a word

Play nice guys . I didn't intend to start a big fight . Just was wondering like a lot of others how everyone is liking this new thing . And why we are having quite a few problems (or have had ) and as Lan says why it is taking so long to get things resolved , Actually the more time I spend trying to figure it out the more I'm understanding it (or some of it) . Been a few days now and things are going not too bad . No CTD's for me .

You mention your rudder control Lan . For me it is my throttle on my Thrustmaster TWCS . When I play FSX I have no input ( the computer doesn't see the throttle axis) . It's ok with 2020 tho, Have tried re-calibrating etc but no go when I use FSX .

Yes I don't think Microsoft made a wise decision in getting ASOBO developing this thing.

Any thoughts on the other things I mentioned a few posts ago , About the logbook , statistic records and look of achievement rewards , etc ?

Most of my computer crashes have been caused by add-ons in the Community folder. Small changes in the updates can cause problems. That is why they advise to empty Community folder before updating. I love add-ons, so I will continue the risk.

This is why I have always loved this forum. I would have NEVER thought or known to do this. I have read a lot before I ever posted upon my return. Tidbits like this is why I have very few problems, so far I have yet to have any {knocking on wood}.

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

I can only go by my experience and the opinions of those I talk with. I run the software a lot, and I have only had 2 CTDs in 14 months. The first was a result of opening the map, a real bug fairly early on, and another after the SU5 update. I don't know what might have caused your prior CTD problem, you don't provide a lot of specific specs as to case and cooler and the usual CPU, GPU, and ram specs? I am sorry for your frustration! But as noted here repeatedly, a substantial number of folks run the program since it was released without a problem.

Global PCs number in their billions and add to that the different configurations and this = a headache.

Even two identical PCs - one could run MSFS no issues and the other could have problems. Its the nature of the beast.

To give you an idea of just how crazy the scene is - I see many people with powerful new gaming rigs having problems.

Yet here I am playing MSFS on an ancient 14 year old PC and I have never had a SINGLE problem.

Not one. It works a 100 times better than FSX on this old system even. Installation was flawless, all updates flawless, no CTDs. Yes I cannot run the sim maxed out like the new systems and have to make compromises (I cant fly airliners or fly over dense urban areas because the FPS tanks) but thats due to system age only. Outside of airliners and away from large metro areas I can get upto 47FPS with graphics settings on High and some on Ultra.

So its really all over the place and depends so much on Windows management, hardware management, IT knowledge, so many factors :)

Well, I own it, have about 300 hours flying in it, that is if you count the 100 or so hours I had before it trashed my flight log.

After a year, it is so good I have removed it from by box to make way for more Xplane and FS9 scenery.

Yes they are very different from this version, but the fact is they work. They are flight simulators, as opposed to Bing maps viewers.

Geoff