Warthog Joystick

I am having problems keeping a course heading using the Warthog joystick. I have now downloaded there analysis tool and also recalibrated it in windows. The joystick seems to operate correctly and returns to the central readings. However when I use it in Flightsim2020 the aircraft will fly straight for a given time then when I turn and straighten the plane it will then drift off course. I have cancelled all wind settings in the game. The only way I can straighten the plane enough to be able to let go of the joystick is to adjust the ailerons. Can anyone help please.

Try switching off Gyro Drift in the settings.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Are you using autopilot?

You can't expect a plane to track any given heading without auto pilot.

This doesn't sound like a bug.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

As jimbo says, you can't expect an aircraft to hold a heading (or wings level) for any length of time, not even (or especially) not a real aircraft -- sims tend to be a tad more stable than real aircraft, though. And you don't mention what you're using for rudder, which can also affect the aircraft behavior. The Warthog is an excellent stick, and thanks to Hall effect sensors) is mostly not prone to many of the instabilities found in many other FS control systems, so it's not the fault of the Warthog. I love mine.

So if you need a constant heading without manual corrections you'll need to engage the autopilot. This is the same kind of experience you'd have in a real aircraft.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Many thanks and I appreciate your replies. I have auto rudder engaged. I can follow a heading for quite a few minutes with only say a slow 1 or 2 degree drift which I understand would be expected. However from this stable heading if I turned say a few degrees left when I try to straighten the aircraft rolls quite quickly to the right and will not settle on a stable heading

This might be unrelated but I've been having some issues with my Thrustmaster lately where there is a jitter to the x axis of the stick. It doesn't happen all the time, but it can throw me off course at the most inopportune time. Open the calibration software and leave it open a while and look for any jitter in the x/y axis. That might be the root of your problems.
Flight Simmer since 2001 - Host of Flight Sim School, a YouTube channel that teaches newcomers to MSFS all the details they need to enjoy the game at it's fullest.

Could this be a trait of prop planes as the problem is nowhere near as bad with a jet?

Yes it could be torque effect caused by the spinning prop. As Larry advised, when manually flying a prop plane you need to apply some rudder and/or aileron to counter the torque effect plus any crosswind drift.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Some have contra-rotating props but not all, and some have prop sync which reduces the effect greatly.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

you need to apply some rudder and/or aileron to counter the torque effect plus any crosswind drift.

Just to clarify this statement, crosswind drift only needs a non-coordinated correction (slip) when trying to fly low near the ground, such as takeoff or landing -- otherwise you want normal coordinated flight and will use a heading change to correct for drift, keeping the ball centered.

Silly question I know but would this also apply to a twin prop or do their propellers rotate in opposite directions to counter any torque?

Not so silly, and in fact is a very logical question. A very few twins have counter rotating props (Piper Seneca, P-38, Wright Flyer, some other Piper twins) but most have props rotating both in the same direction, so there is some torque and P-effect, though the behavior is slightly different (not drastically so).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

and some have prop sync which reduces the effect greatly.

In my experience, prop sync doesn't have much effect on torque/P-effect, but it does sync up the prop RPM thus eliminating pulsating harmonics that are very annoying. You can do the same thing by making tiny adjustments in the prop control until those harmonics are gone, thus manually syncing the props, which is good since many twins don't have the auto prop sync.

Once in a while there'll be a twin going over my house with the props out of sync, and it still annoys me even though it's several thousand feet or more away.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks everyone. I will play around with a few aircrafts. At the moment I am using the Beachcroft Baron. Its one of those things which is frustrating not knowing whether its my inexperience at fault or a calibration problem. If I knew the equipment was fine then I'm happy to deal with my learning 'curve'....

I think I may have found the problem. For some reason the aileron on the Beechcraft was set at -0.5 from the start. I probably did this at some point and I think it has been introducing the gradual roll. Now that I have zeroed the ailerons I am only experiencing slight drift which I assume is natural.

I've noticed flying the TBM it drifts off course on auto pilot, the 747 not so much but drifts of course on ILS landings, although it does allow me to input corrections with the stick.... I'm flying keyboard with MS Xbox controller. I'm tempted to buy the Warthog thanks to this forum......... Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I'm tempted to buy the Warthog thanks to this forum.........

I've been running mine now for a number of years, and it just keeps chugging along just like new -- love it. I also use CH Pro pedals, but someday may look into the PFCs since they'll probably be more usable the way real aircraft pedals are.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I've noticed flying the TBM it drifts off course on auto pilot, the 747 not so much but drifts of course on ILS landings, although it does allow me to input corrections with the stick.... I'm flying keyboard with MS Xbox controller. I'm tempted to buy the Warthog thanks to this forum.........

When I first downloaded FS I only had key board controls. Even though I have an excellent quality gaming keyboard flying using keys is not user friendly. The Warthog is so different and a pleasure to use.