Crash to desktop

Just tried another short flight having changed my memory timings to 3400 as suggested by but unfortunately that didn't help - I think it made it worse unfortunately.

I only flew from Las Vegas to Los Angeles so around 30 - 40 minutes after around 30 mins or so I noticed massive amounts of lag sporadically, the screen would freeze for maybe 1 to 2 seconds at a time before catching up, the worst was maybe a 5 to 7 second pause (sound still playing) and I thought that it has crashed - but it hadn't.

This was very hit and miss for a while but I did manage to land the plane.

However, once landed when going back to the main menu, crashed back to desktop - ARGH.

Performance was definately worse like this than before annoyingly......

Interestingly, if memory was on Auto before (2100 ish) and I manually set the timing to 3400 - doesn't that mean I increased the speed rather than slowed it?

Where to go from here?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tried another short flight having changed my memory timings to 3400 as suggested by but unfortunately that didn't help - I think it made it worse unfortunately.

I only flew from Las Vegas to Los Angeles so around 30 - 40 minutes after around 30 mins or so I noticed massive amounts of lag sporadically, the screen would freeze for maybe 1 to 2 seconds at a time before catching up, the worst was maybe a 5 to 7 second pause (sound still playing) and I thought that it has crashed - but it hadn't.

This was very hit and miss for a while but I did manage to land the plane.

However, once landed when going back to the main menu, crashed back to desktop - ARGH.

Performance was definately worse like this than before annoyingly......

Interestingly, if memory was on Auto before (2100 ish) and I manually set the timing to 3400 - doesn't that mean I increased the speed rather than slowed it?

Where to go from here?

Oh dear, sorry it didn’t work. Was worth a try. I presume you’ve done things like make sure your community folder is empty?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Yes, it is - I have never installed any mods, changes etc. everying is vanilla since new install. FS is installed in a second drive (NVMe) which I bought specifially for the purpose, and the cache drive is another different drive (SSD) - trying to get all the performance I can without overclocking....

And still no joy :(

I was about to buy the honeycomb yoke and throttle when they come available but not sure that is a good idea if the sim continually crashes to desktop..

Very frustrated.

Thanks for your help.

Any devices being used wirelessly? Some have pointed out that may be a cause?

Something running in the background?

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hey Spook, I'm having the exact same issue. I'm running a Ryzen 3 3100, 16GB of 3200 MHZ RAM and an ancient GTX970. I got this system yesterday. No mods. Hell, I didn't even bother to install the other planes - just the TBM and 152.

This system gives me about 10 minutes of flight time, then the pauses begin. Shortly thereafter I'll get a full system crash and reboot (I.e not even a CTD). XMP or not, makes virtually no difference.

I'm running a full memory test as we speak. Will probably take the rest of the night...

It worked pretty much flawlessly in an old Xeon E5-1620 with 16 GB of 1600 MHZ DDR3 and the same GTX970.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Did you check your temperatures?

Do the fans turn on. Might be an gradual overheating thing.

Get GPU-Z It monitors video car AND CPU temp. (under sensor tab.

Start it up befor MSFS so you get an historical view.

17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

Plainsman, I am one of the guys you have helped in the past. Seems like more and more of us should be thankfull. I suggest Asobo compensate you for each successful fix! Thanks again. PS I'd lost detail on scenery and you suggested checking photogrammetry was on. It was on but checking brought to my attention that Bing was off and my whole experience changed for the better.

My first CTD was after loading the liveries megapack. My second today was just after installing Superspuds Cardiff Airport. I have not fully investigated this one but my initial suspicion is that I have too much add-on scenery around Bristol which may be interfering.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Yes, it is - I have never installed any mods, changes etc. everying is vanilla since new install. FS is installed in a second drive (NVMe) which I bought specifially for the purpose, and the cache drive is another different drive (SSD) - trying to get all the performance I can without overclocking....

And still no joy :(

I was about to buy the honeycomb yoke and throttle when they come available but not sure that is a good idea if the sim continually crashes to desktop..

Very frustrated.

Thanks for your help.

So Spook, don't know if this will help you. But I did two things that seemed to have solved the problem (for now, at least):

1. Turned gear down mode on for the memory controller. It was on Auto.

2. I reseated both RAM sticks. I recall when I inserted them, that they went in with slightly more resistance than what one would expect.

I've conducted a few test flights with the TBM, totalling about two hours, and all seems stable. So far. Toes and fingers crossed.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

I have not been flying lately as i have been busy designing scenery. However, my first two flights today resulted in a CTD. Frames seem lower too.

Any clues?

Empty community folder, no mods.

i7 10700, rtx 2080ti

M2 drive.

Msfs fully updated.

Setting mostly on ultra as they have been from the start.

I have not suffered ctds up until now.

I was flying the Longitude. Another flight later with the C172 G1000 went smoothly.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did you install the big update last week or have you only just done it? Maybe your graphics drivers need updating? Might be worth checking.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

No worries. Hope that’s the answer :)

Regards

Steve

I don't have any wireless devices at all and nothing unusal running in the background....

It isn't temperature as I have watched that - even lower the thresholds on my fans so they spin up sooner but my system doesn't hot - the hottest thing is the O/S M2 drive, it gets hotter than the game drive, I am guessing it is because it is closer to the CPU?

Stinger. your spec is very similar to mind, will be very interesting to see how you get on with yours - I have all the latest drivers and updates but that hasn't helped unfortunately. I am thinking of lowering the graphic settings just to see if that makes a difference...... I have watched the load on the CPU and GPU and they don't seem excessive (especially the CPU, doesn't seem to use may cores)

I am hoping to get this sorted soon before it goes out the window!

Many Thanks

I don't have any wireless devices at all and nothing unusal running in the background....

It isn't temperature as I have watched that - even lower the thresholds on my fans so they spin up sooner but my system doesn't hot - the hottest thing is the O/S M2 drive, it gets hotter than the game drive, I am guessing it is because it is closer to the CPU?

Stinger. your spec is very similar to mind, will be very interesting to see how you get on with yours - I have all the latest drivers and updates but that hasn't helped unfortunately. I am thinking of lowering the graphic settings just to see if that makes a difference...... I have watched the load on the CPU and GPU and they don't seem excessive (especially the CPU, doesn't seem to use may cores)

I am hoping to get this sorted soon before it goes out the window!

Many Thanks

I don't see that lowering settings should be the answer as I have been running with the same settings since release and most people are seeing improved performance with the updates .

My experience up until recently was super smooth but the lower framerates I am experiencing now points to a degradation in performance for some reason.

I will report back once if I get to the bottom of it.

Good luck with your own investigations .

Stinger

Ok, i updated my nvidia drivers to 460.89.

I have just flown a flight that produced a CTD yesterday, this time with no issues.

I also noticed that my control assignments had re-appeared in MSFS (i use FSUIPC7 and had previously deleted them in MSFS to ensure no conflicts). So I found the switches which were causing issues and did not operate them during the flight.

In summary I may have cured my CTDs but at this stage I cant confirm whether the updated driver did the trick or if it was a controller conflict issue.I personally suspect the later.

Either way, so far so good.

I hope this may help others.

Cheers

Stinger

That is good news!

Happy flying :)

Regards

Steve

It seems I was mistaken. 5 attempted flights yesterday from Paderborn. 5 CTds before getting off the runway. It looks like I am going to need to do some more investigating.

I dont get any error messages, it just pauses for half a second and then disappears from my screen.

Can someone remind me how to find the event log so that I can check there please?

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I experience exactly the same pause before crash to desktop, there is usually I slight pause with the audio crackle before this happens.... I always have the latest drivers fir everything and frequently check so I don’t think outdated drivers are my problems.

That’s a shame you hadn’t fixed it.

The easiest way to find the event viewer is probably just type event viewer in the search box (bottom left of screen or after you press start) and it should appear in the list of results at the top.

I haven’t been able to try any changes myself yet, but it seems some people are suggesting it’s linked to radio Comms and turning this off may fix it. I haven’t tried that either but I don’t really want to have no ATC...... might be a useful test though ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can someone remind me how to find the event log so that I can check there please?

Right-click on the Start menu icon, Event Viewer is the third item down the list that pops up.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I experience exactly the same pause before crash to desktop, there is usually I slight pause with the audio crackle before this happens.... I always have the latest drivers fir everything and frequently check so I don’t think outdated drivers are my problems.

That’s a shame you hadn’t fixed it.

The easiest way to find the event viewer is probably just type event viewer in the search box (bottom left of screen or after you press start) and it should appear in the list of results at the top.

I haven’t been able to try any changes myself yet, but it seems some people are suggesting it’s linked to radio Comms and turning this off may fix it. I haven’t tried that either but I don’t really want to have no ATC...... might be a useful test though ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It seems we are far from alone with this one. There is a thread on the MSFS website forums with quite a few others too. One thing to try (i haven't tried it yet) is to log out of your MS acount and then re login. Worth a try.

Hard to say what is causing it at the moment as many are saying "such-and-such" cured it and then having to correct themselves later, like me with the driver update solution.

Good luck

Stinger

For what it's worth, I feel mine was linked to two seperate things (1) my CPU is going bad. I came to this conclusion when I was flying, cockpit view, switched to drone view (something I do a LOT!!), the second I hit the Insert key, lost sound and 2 seconds later, CTD. My thoughts on this is that I put a LOT of strain on the CPU, which caused the CTD. It also failed the stress test and has been hovering a touch high in the temps.

(2) My joystick has a permanent (bend) near the tip. The USB port is at the top, the joystick stays on the floor, thus I probably have some fray going on inside. Also, it was always plugged in whenever I had my CTD. I used it to take off, then I unplugged it, went to bed, 9 hours later, still flying.

Summary-CPU going bad and joystick

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

For what it's worth, I feel mine was linked to two seperate things (1) my CPU is going bad. I came to this conclusion when I was flying, cockpit view, switched to drone view (something I do a LOT!!), the second I hit the Insert key, lost sound and 2 seconds later, CTD. My thoughts on this is that I put a LOT of strain on the CPU, which caused the CTD. It also failed the stress test and has been hovering a touch high in the temps.

(2) My joystick has a permanent (bend) near the tip. The USB port is at the top, the joystick stays on the floor, thus I probably have some fray going on inside. Also, it was always plugged in whenever I had my CTD. I used it to take off, then I unplugged it, went to bed, 9 hours later, still flying.

Summary-CPU going bad and joystick

I wont be happy if my CPU is going bad as its a brand new top spec PC.

Thanks for your thoughts anyhow, all suggestions are welcome !

I am giving it a rest today as my brain hurts after a full day fault finding yesterday

but I will be back at it tomorrow.

Another suggestion, which I will try tomorrow, is to delete the rolling cache and let it rebuild. Again, worth a try.

I will obviously report back if I find a solution.

I havent really tried much today due to time constraints, however I uninstalled and reinstalled latest nvidia drivers, I then change the graphics settings - I did have a customised set up (suggested online for a similar spec to mine) but changed it to High Spec (not Ultra) so think it most cases its a downgrade.

Flew a bit around (only 10 minutes or so) seemed a little smoother (probably lower gfx settings or maybe because I was in an area with little ground detail) - landed sucessfully, clicked to to go back to menus, pause then crash to desktop - ARGH.

I dont think its a bad CPU either, as with yours mine is new - it also runs benchmarks happily cranked up high for hours and fine with any other game I throw at it - just Flight Sim. And as this seems to be very common surely they can't all be failing cpu's ?