Better AA in windowed mode?

JSMR

For years I've read about AA not being as good, or working at all in windowed mode, yet with W10 (uughh) I find its better in windowed mode. I get slight shimmering on some taxiway lines and building / light poles in full screen, yet that is gone in windowed mode.

Is that expected or normal?

But I also get slightly more stutters in windowed mode otherwise I'd try the border thingy to remove it.

Funny you brought that up, I installed FS9 for the first time last week and started getting tired of the "30 FPS life", so I started goofing around and noticed the same thing about turning AA on with a Win10 system. No hit on frame rate for me with the sim locked at 60 FPS and my screen shots look great. :cool:

One thing I did do was turn off the fancy clouds and now my frames only drop around detailed add-on scenery. :D

Edit- I normally run in full screen mode. I'll do some tests today and see what happens.

OK, I need to note that I rarely run in windowed mode. I loaded a flight* and things looked great in full screen, hit and it didn't look much different in windowed mode BUT I could tell it didn't look as good.

Which begs the question: Why are you running in windowed mode in the first place? :confused:

Just get used to using the keys if you need to start or stop a program/app and do your flying in full screen mode.

Likewise, just get used to hitting the key if you want to bring up the drop down menu. I don't even think about the hitting the keys, its just automatic.

*-still getting used to how FS9 starts up. This is less complicated in FS2002. :p

Edited by BobSeaman

Full Screen mode often uses different video settings, so that could be the issue here. For example, what is your MIP mapping slider in FS9 set to? You can reduce shimmering with that.

The video used in windowed mode is often the settings you use for your Windows Desktop.

Some work on your video card settings (i.e. avoid applications setting the values, etc.) might produce better results in full screen mode?

Edited by tgibson_new

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

I get about the same amount of shimmering in full screen vs. windowed mode in Win10, and don't see any difference in frame rates.

The AA in full screen mode is noticeably better for me. It is most apparent if, say, I'm flying a biplane in the VC so there is an upper wing right in front of me with a straight edge. In windowed mode, I can see the little steps in the edge slide and shimmer. In FS mode that effect is gone.

August

I get about the same amount of shimmering in full screen vs. windowed mode in Win10, and don't see any difference in frame rates.

The AA in full screen mode is noticeably better for me. It is most apparent if, say, I'm flying a biplane in the VC so there is an upper wing right in front of me with a straight edge. In windowed mode, I can see the little steps in the edge slide and shimmer. In FS mode that effect is gone.

August

Do you use use Nvidia Inspector? New machine and I haven't downloaded NI yet. Using Nvidia Control Panel. That might be a reason too.

Every other install I've had AA would only be applied in full screen mode.

Now AA works still like this, but its better in windowed mode which is strange but I have seen reports of this with Windows 10.

And Tom, everything is set as the same screen resolution, I just noticed it recently the slight shimmer I'd see on taxi lines and buildings and light poles completely gone in windowed mode.

• 2 months later...

Going back to this, I have 4 installs of FS9. The original - copied from a previous HDD - has Nvidia Inspector (NI) applying the AA etc in full-screen mode and works.

On all other installs, the AA isn't being applied from NI in full-screen. Only in windowed mode. I've tried using different NI profiles, making sure to selct the particular installs EXE etc. But it still wont appy AA in full-screen mode. Kinda annoying.

Anyone have this problem with multiple installs?

Shouldn't he global profile work as well?

Going back to this, I have 4 installs of FS9. The original - copied from a previous HDD - has Nvidia Inspector (NI) applying the AA etc in full-screen mode and works.

On all other installs, the AA isn't being applied from NI in full-screen. Only in windowed mode. I've tried using different NI profiles, making sure to selct the particular installs EXE etc. But it still wont appy AA in full-screen mode. Kinda annoying.

Anyone have this problem with multiple installs?

Shouldn't he global profile work as well?

You need to delete the Nvidia Control profiles for NI to kick in.

Edited by Nels_Anderson

I used to run FS9 in full screen. hate windowed mode. however my Friend showed me this plugin. Just runs in the background and works with FS9 seamlessly. looks and acts identically to Full screen mode but without the glitches and need to add the Diablo III tweak to get AA to work. here's how to get it.