There was nothing that came up that indicated that I could redirect where my "packages" directory was to be located, much less the "community" directory that I was looking for. If it was indicated, then it certainly did not make it clear that this was the point where you had the opportunity to define how the directory structure was to be laid out. The process is not even remotely intuitive in that regard!

No, it wasn't entirely clear, but it is there. It's the step when the sim first downloads the packages. There is a field that shows the path they will be downloaded and installed to. You can in this field to change the location.

Similarly, you can change the location of the rolling cache by clicking in the field that shows the path in the settings.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro