Video Driver Installation Guide

Guest boxcar

noell,

Please allow me to express my sincere appreciation for your time & efforts in sharing precious information like this. It means a lot to so many &, most recently, yours truly.

Am a brain-injured veteran who has great difficulties with reading & comprehending the written word. What most others would take for granted takes me a long, long time to get my head around. It is an excruciatingly difficult process for me to read through instructions. Going through yours time & time again, beginning this task & finally following through with all you have generously laid out for any & all to partake of: success. It took me over 6 full hours to accomplish but your clear & precise instructions & tips navigated me through. Next time it will take less than an hour, no doubt (wrote notes).

Worked like a charm, sir. :) The new video card is up & running well.

There was a time before my disablility that simultaneously a rubics cube was resolved while playing a competitive game of chess & landing a plane on an early computer flight simulator. Multi-tasking champ. Now, 12 years later, am still healing & fighting to so much as truly focus on one task at hand. Though it is clear that you are not in this for the money :D or for the thanks, you are giving of yourself so willingly, freely & unselfishly in order that we simmers may do it better & with less risk. Am sincerely thanking you, noell. Thank you for being here for us.

Amazing for me to reread that just now from over 16 months ago, Noell. Am remembering that day well. Quite the roadmap it is to see how far I've come in that time. Have just gone through installing & uninstalling 3 different display drivers sets in the last 24 hours (reference: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=212166) & each time it took me only about 25 to 30 minutes for the entire process. Am still using your guide, stickied at the top of this forum. It's even installed in my noodle now, actually, breezing right through the steps almost effortlessly. Never hurts to say, Thank you! once again... so Thank you! once again, Noell! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-015.gif

Hey, Boxcar!

Nice to hear from you again and so glad to hear things are looking up.

And thanks are always appreciated so, “thanks” for the “thanks”.

Take care,

Noell.

Intel i7 8700K@4.8GHz / Swiftech X3 / Gigabyte Aorus 7 Gaming / 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200

500GB WD SSD (Win 10 Pro 64-bit) / 500GB Samsung 960 Pro (P3Dv4) / 240GB SanDisk SSD (P3D Misc.)

480GB SanDisk SSD (General Storage) / EVGA GTX1080/ Seasonic Platinum 850 watt

• 10 months later...

Hi Noell - Have printed your detailed and concise Video Driver Installation Guide and am in the process of gathering up courage to face my very first video driver updating.

And then I come across Game Booster Premium v 2.0 which does a thorough scan of my system and indicates two drivers that need to be updated - Realtek High Definition Audio (I dont intend to fool around with it) and NVIDIA GE Force 9800 GTX 260.99 10/25/2010.

And it offers a plain go ahead and do it.

With limited experience and knowledge of computer tweaking should I try this simple go ahead and if it fails then fall back and follow dilligently your very clear and concise instructions? Hopefully having remembered to save a restore point!

I do not need to increase FPS and am satisfied with the current sceneries - using REX. Should I follow the coach recommendation that you do not introduce changes to a winning team?

Again, a question from an unexperienced and scared simmer: Windows XP Device Manager offers a very simple update driver menu and a Roll Back Menu to the previously installed driver in case of failure. Should that be considered?

Apologize for these poorly addressed questions/doubts. They are motivated by the fact that I now read that my current driver is 6.14.11.7779 26/7/2008 and that date sort of tells me I am missing quite a lot of additional easily available performance.

Thanks a lot for any assistance.

Windows XP - FS2004 - AMD Athlong 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ - NVidia GEForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Clarindo

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU - RAM 8GB DDR3

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 series - 3 LDE Monitors - FSX STEAM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chinmay215
Thanks for sharing this guide. My friend is facing this problem from many times. He is not getting help of some aircraft engineer so he told me to find out the driver installation guide. After reading this thread, now i will really help him. Keep posting !

• 3 weeks later...

Clarindo;

For the past six weeks or so I've been way from home and had limited computer access so please accept my apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

The purpose of my guide is to guarantee an absolutely "clean" video driver installation. By "clean" I mean there will be nothing remaining of the old driver that could cause problems or conflicts with the new driver. This may or not be the case when using simpler methods (like using something like GameBooster or the update driver provision in the Windows Device Manager) but you can certainly do that if you wish and then, if you have problems, you can follow my guide which should fix things up.

Intel i7 8700K@4.8GHz / Swiftech X3 / Gigabyte Aorus 7 Gaming / 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200

500GB WD SSD (Win 10 Pro 64-bit) / 500GB Samsung 960 Pro (P3Dv4) / 240GB SanDisk SSD (P3D Misc.)

• 1 year later...
Great! Glad you found it helpful.

• 9 months later...
When you use several monitors for FSX does it affect the quality of the video output your card gives? Do you need something like eyeinfinity so that the video output is still good quality? Or should a good graphics card and up to date drivers handle several monitors without loss of quality onscreen?

• 2 months later...

Please accept my apologies for the late reply.

To answer your question - any card with more than one output is designed to deliver full quality video to all outputs.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any update for win 8 installation? Or is it the same as win vista/7?

Apology in advance for the stupid question.

Hi guys.

I signed up as a tester for the pre-RTM version of Win 8 and after a few months of playing around with it I'd had enough. I didn't like it enough to spring for a copy once it was released so I feel don't have the level of experience with it (vis a vis video driver installation) to write up an accurate step-by-step guide.

You will also notice that Vista doesn't have its own section in the guide either but it is similar to 7 when it comes to video driver installation and, as I recall from my limited experience with Win 8, that's the case with Win 8 as well. So, if you follow the steps for Vista/Win7, it should work out. When you get the part on using a driver cleaner, I suggest you use Driver Sweeper from Guru3D (now called Display Driver Uninstaller) as it is Win 8 compatible.

• 4 years later...

About to change drivers on my GTX780. Excellent Thread, just the updated information I have been looking for. Last I had, was from "Nick N" dated 3/31/15 and matches yours. Great job.

Thanks,

Fred B

FRED B

Intel i7 4770K 3.5Ghz 8MB Quad, Haswell OC to 4.2G, ASUS Z-87 PRO, 8G RAM DDR3 2400, GTX780, 2x120GB SSD, 750W PSU, Corsair Hydro H80, WIN 7 Pro, FSX SP1,2, FSC 8 ,UTX, GEX-EUROPE, REX- Ess

About to change drivers on my GTX780. Excellent Thread, just the updated information I have been looking for. Last I had, was from "Nick N" dated 3/31/15 and matches yours. Great job.

Thanks,

Fred B

Easy. Just use DDU to remove all traces of the old driver. Reboot computer and install new.

Set preferences in the sim and you are done.

You should ALWAYS use DDU between driver versions (339.xxx-417.xx). There is no need intra-version (417.39 - 417.53)

Also don't bother with anything other than the prime driver for the graphics (GeForce Experience, Physx or any of the bloatware)

• Admin2 unpinned this topic

Archived