Moving the Local cache file

I have my MSFS 2020 installed to my Samsung 500gb MVME drive, but the local cache file remains on my Windows C drive, in the Users folder.

There appears to be a way to move the Cache file in settings General/Data/Rolling Cache Settings. I'd prefer to have this caching on the faster drive (the NVME).

Has anyone moved their Rolling Cache ?

If so.. how... and did it make any differnce?

Local Cache.png

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

This may help...

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

loki... so, just create a folder, like MSFS local cache, on the drive i want it on, and put that path in that setting?

no special name?

what happens to the 'local cache' thats at the current location? does it get moved? copied? if copied, can I delete the old one?

Should I delete the current cache file first, then change the localtion?

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Yep, just create a folder where you want it to be with whatever name you want. This can be created before, or through the window that opens up. It will move any existing cache and data to that location. It could take a while if you've built up a large cache.

Loki... that worked just fine. I created the folder on the nvme drive, however, it did not move the current Rolling cache file to the new location. So, i copied it from my C drive to the new drive and replaced it. It worked just fine. I also change the path of my manual cache to the new location.

Just to make sure it wasn't still looking on the C drive, I moved the file that wasn't moved to the new location out of that folder. No issues. So I just saved myself 11gb on my C dive :)

The only effect I could see when I reloaded the program was it reset my statistic in my Pilot Profile. Not the total flight time, or the Nav Log, just all those other stats.

Also noted on the loading page, after the Any Key page...one of the segments loads much faster. click to menu is now under 3 minutes. yeah!

I had anticipated this when designing the spec for my new PC.

Unfortunately I was supplied a duff motherboard (Aorus Master) so will have to wait for the entire RMA process, which might take a few weeks, so no flying for me yet :(

the

Anyhow one of the first things I will do after installing window is MOVE my profile folder (C:USERS\username) to the second SSD before I install anything. That way all my documents, downloads, program data etc will not be clogging up my boot drive but instead go directly to the secondary SSD.

Apparently you can alter the size of the cache that FS 2020 uses. With less than stellar broadband here in Ireland I was hoping to cache the map for the areas I fly most often in, and was guessing that 100GB would be appropriate.

Out of curiosity stempki could you give us some indication of how much of the world map you have flown to use up 11GB of cache?

Maybe the 100GB I was planning on reserving for FS 2020 cache is too excessive, or maybe I need to increase that amount.

efanton...

11gb of Rolling Cache consists of SE Wisconsin, Chicago, Las Vegas and northern Arizona.

btw... Hoover Dam in Arizona is NOT build up graphics. It looks like a big pile of sand up close.

efanton...

11gb of Rolling Cache consists of SE Wisconsin, Chicago, Las Vegas and northern Arizona.

btw... Hoover Dam in Arizona is NOT build up graphics. It looks like a big pile of sand up close.

Thanks very much for responding stempski.

Thats a awful lot of land area for only 11GB of cache.

I did a calculation based on Ireland having a land area of about 85,000 km2 and the land surface of the entire world being about 150 million km2.

Ireland is about 0.05% of the worlds land surface.

If we are to believe MS use 2 petatbyte (2, million GB) to store the worlds entire land surface, then a simple calculation of 0.05% of 2 million would give me an approximations of how much storage I would need for all of Ireland. That works out to 100GB.

But from what you are saying its likely that I will need less than the 100GB. I assume that that's probably down to cities and airports needing much more data to construct views than open countryside and the smaller towns and cities that Ireland has.

This is great news.

I was anticipating buying an additional 1 TB SSD to use solely as FS 2020 cache so that I could also cache UK and European routes. Looks like I might actually be able to reduce that considerably, possibly a 500GB drive instead.

Edited by efanton