Install issues (Bought Via MS Store)

I have tried all morning to get the Flight sim working, Following a number of youtube Videos making sure Windows is up to date and also that my PC is on the device list.

I then get the option on where to download to, C or F drive and the download begins (C drive)

It only downloads 960mb within 3 minutes and then it tells me that i can now play the game.

I get press any button to start and than i get unable to play the game, Flight sim has stopped working, A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the program and will notify you IF a solution is available

All you have is the installer program right now. Un install that program, re-download and try again. The game download is 91 GB and will take a few hours to download and install.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I have been reading quite a few threads relating to download problems.

On the ORBX website (forum) I read the following -

It turns out, on my machine, I have to have the XBox Game Pass installed. So I went into the Microsoft store and installed the XBox beta. I have left that open in the background and made sure I was logged into the store. Then launched MSFS 2020, again, as Admin. Success, it took me through the screens for where to install etc and as I type it is now downloading.

I did not bother with an actual Game Pass subscription. I just installed the app.

I hope this helps.

As for me I will wait a while before I decide to pay and download.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

As for me I will wait a while before I decide to pay and download.

Same here ... I kinda expected there would be problems on Day 1.

Millions of people trying to download 90 Gb at the same time was sure to cause bottlenecks.

I also prefer to read reviews before buying ... from what I've gathered so far, there are problems with CH devices (yokes, pedals, etc) and there is no multi-monitor support (as of yet at least).

Those are deal breakers for me, I'll stay with X-Plane 11 until those issues are resolved.

update from MS Chat

Hello Malcolm,

I am Sonia, Independent Windows Advisor.

Here to help you.

Hope you are doing well today.

This issue with download of flight simulator is occurring a lot from yesterday. It is an server issue and it will fixed soon.

Me ... When you first start the download, It downloads the installer and then it tells you to start the game, When the game opens , it then tells me to press any key to start and the window just shuts down

Sonia , Yes it is server issue. Your game isn't available to authenticate with the servers that's why it is happening. Wait one or two days as it is saying.

Someone else also chatted to MS

Hello Oz,

I am Sonia, Independent Windows Advisor.

Here to help you.

Hope you are doing well today.

This issue with download of flight simulator is occurring a lot from yesterday. It is an server issue. Unfortunately, 300,000 people in Kiribati downloaded this sim all at once. We had only planned for 5 downloads from that country, so our server unfortunately melted, which shorted out the rest of our systems. We would like to fix this soon, but are waiting on payment of reparations by the President of Kiribati, SeanMo.

I tried to download the sim last night. Ran into many issues downloading.

Downloader stops responding saying authenticating. I kill it, uninstall the Flight Sim and tried again. Then downloader stop responding at about 2 GB. I kill it and launch again. This happens 2 more times. Many times the downloader do not open but I keep trying.

Surprisingly installation finished successfully this morning. The sim works. Installation is on d:\flightsim.

I am not surprised that with so many people attempting to download at around the same time that the servers ground to a halt.

It's like when a highway with 4 lanes reduces to just 3 lanes - a 'bottleneck'.

All that hipe, a lot of it via the Youtube videos which make us not want to wait any longer.

Sit back, have a coffee and wait for a while.

I know am considering purchasing via the 'boxed edition' even though I have read that disk one needs to be in the drive for it it work. At least the only 'bottleneck' will be the DVD drive.

Also I am surprised that even though there appeared to be a very long testing phase of the entire project that there are many 'issues' being uncovered so quickly.

Edited by jparnold
add middle sentence

John

Thank you to everybody that responded to this thread. I was given FSX in 2009 by my kids and loved it. Unfortunately, with a few computer replacements since then, I am now working with a Surface Pro 6 running Windows 10 Pro on a 64bit system with 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD (sounds pretty good huh?) that is unable to load or run FSX. So after fighting that battle for a while and losing, I broke down and bought the super-duper ultimate deluxe MSFS2020 which I was informed would be available for download today, August 18. Great news, 'cause this was my birthday present from me to me... Unfortunately, I am unable to download or install, even after following every thread and recommendation I could find online. I guess this is another opportunity for me to exercise patience and remind myself how lucky I am to be able to buy and someday enjoy this technology.

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

Type the word UPDATE in the search window bottom left of screen

Click on CHECK FOR UPDATES

Click on OS BUILD INFO

Scroll to bottom and the Windows VERSION installed will be displayed - it should be 2004

John

3 attempts to download. First one got to 345mbs with the prompt "seeking authentication" & after 1hr with no further progress I stopped the download. Second & third attempts got no further than "checking for updates" & one hour later with no progress I stopped downloading. Band width to my home is 150mbs. I shall wait for a month in hopes that the server will be more responsive & try again.

Hi all

It was a bit of a pain to get to install. My install went like this:

1. Run first installer (installer installer - well, the download manager I guess)

2. That finishes, runs installer and asks for location to install packages to.

3. It gets to around 15% and then just sits there, for an hour

(I then repeated this 2 more times, uninstalling between each one, and each one getting to about 15% then just stopping)

3a Turns out they weren't packages, they were the game files

3b Swear a lot, then uninstall all of the MSFS 2020 installers completely.

4 Turn off xbox game pass

5. Uninstall Xbox game pass and any other Xbox apps

Then I was starting from the very begninning again ...

6. Login to the Microsoft Store

7. Run the installer installer (900MB)

7a. If it carries on, stop it, exit and quit back to desktop

8. Go to Start

9. Right click on MSFS 2020 and "run as administrator"

10. It took 6 hours to install everything, It all went on OK and runs fine.

It seems that the download app is not correctly initialised, and starts the installer without administrator priveleges, which seems to stop it from installing.

Once I ran it as an admin, it got to the 15% mark again (for the fourth time), and this time it sarted the install process with no issues.

Just beware, there are some strangenesses, quite often you return to the game from one of the menu items, and the mouse no longer controls looking around the cockpit, leaving you stuck where you were last looking.

Similarly, I had it fail so badly last night, that when i returned to the cockpit, even the joystick hat was not interacting with the game. I would suggest learning or writing down the basic view commands, as once that mouse stops, you can be looking at the floor for the whole flight !!

Apart that, it all seems pretty decent so far - once the thing finally starts installing!!!!