European DVD Boxed Set

There appears to be a lot of confusion on that subject at that forum. Also whether or not you can leave the discs in the box and directly download the installation from Microsoft servers. After all, there appears to be a "key" card in the package.

I bought Windows 10 Pro retail boxed and did the install with the latest download from Microsoft using the key code from the package without ANY issue. Perhaps they don't have the final answer from Microsoft yet and are covering their arse.

Either way, it wouldn't bother me to put in a disc to the point of cancelling an order for the box set.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

There appears to be a lot of confusion on that subject at that forum. Also whether or not you can leave the discs in the box and directly download the installation from Microsoft servers. After all, there appears to be a "key" card in the package.

I bought Windows 10 Pro retail boxed and did the install with the latest download from Microsoft using the key code from the package without ANY issue. Perhaps they don't have the final answer from Microsoft yet and are covering their arse.

Either way, it wouldn't bother me to put in a disc to the point of cancelling an order for the box set.

Mr. Kok seems pretty clear about the sim requiring the disc to be in the drive. This does appear similar to many Xbox console games that require you to have the game disc in the drive in order to play. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what the person at Microsoft who made the decision was basing it on without fully thinking it through. As you mention, they could certainly allow you to use the discs to install the game, and then tie it to your account without requiring the discs again.

I think what is happening here is Microsoft are preventing people from sharing or reselling their software.

It used to be a 'thing' back in the day when CD and DVD installs were common where people would install the software, then resell the software but yet continue playing the game. If you dont have the cd/dvd then you simply cant play the game.

The download is tied in with your Xbox account. Once installed it can only be used by you. Microsoft know exactly who has bought and installed the game. With a DVD install they dont.

Appreciate the heads up on that. Last game I bought that needed a disc in the drive was (I think) Mass Effect 2. Can see why they are doing it but not ideal to keep handling optical media each time you want to play the game.

Personally I'm still holding out for another week or two, see if it pops up for sale on Steam.

Vern.

Curious on why no DVD box version in USA ? This will kill my box version collection ! :)
FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

My guess is it's the same reason you can't find boxed retail copies of PC games in stores anymore like Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, or Target: people don't buy them anymore (in the US market) and Aerosoft just didn't see the market. I saw the PC gaming section of Best Buy and Fry's Electronics and Target slowly dwindle over time in PC game media starting in the late '00s and then disappear entirely by the time the PS4 came out Holiday 2015.

In fact the last PC gaming media I bought in any brick and mortar store was at Fry's back in 2011 and FSX because I lost my 2007-bought Gold copy in a move (later found then given to a friend). I am seeing a slow tide recession of console game shelf space in these stores as well over more recent years. I honestly did not expect the Playstation 5 to even come with a Blu-Ray player (but glad one version is).

That said, there are still a lot of US consumers out there with slow and unreliable bandwidth internet, the exact reason why Aerosoft is offering the physical media copy for the European markets. To a lot of people 90GB sounds like a lot, but as a PC and PS4 console gamer who is has been used to 40GB+ game downloads for several years now, that's not that big of a deal for what you are getting.

i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals