FSX install Win 7 vs Win 10

Since my purchase of a Win 7 OS in 2011, FSX has installed without a hitch. After going the upgrade route to Win 10, the install starts out normally with 5 bars showing in the small window in the upper right hand corner of the screen. But then it hangs there under the title, "Removing Applications". It takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes in this mode before it continues with the install. I initially thought it had something to do with the upgrade, but now not so sure. I say this because I just got a new Omen Obelisk with Win 10 Home. Nothing on the HD but a fresh copy of Win10. I started the install process on this pristine HD and the same thing happened as I described above with the upgrade. Just wondering if any one knows why the install is hanging at "Removing Applications" and what is it that FSX is trying to remove in order to proceed with the install. Keep in mind that this is the very first install on this new HD.

Thanks

Since my purchase of a Win 7 OS in 2011, FSX has installed without a hitch. After going the upgrade route to Win 10, the install starts out normally with 5 bars showing in the small window in the upper right hand corner of the screen. But then it hangs there under the title, "Removing Applications". It takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes in this mode before it continues with the install. I initially thought it had something to do with the upgrade, but now not so sure. I say this because I just got a new Omen Obelisk with Win 10 Home. Nothing on the HD but a fresh copy of Win10. I started the install process on this pristine HD and the same thing happened as I described above with the upgrade. Just wondering if any one knows why the install is hanging at "Removing Applications" and what is it that FSX is trying to remove in order to proceed with the install. Keep in mind that this is the very first install on this new HD.

Try here:

https://microsoftlivechat.net/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-installation-keeps-getting-stuck-on-removing-applications-how-to-fix/

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Thanks for the link John. I ran through the various steps mentioned and was curious to see the instruction to reinstall "Office" at the end of it all. Well, I do not have MS Office installed at all and I thought this was about FSX, not Office. The scan came up negative with no offending files found, or something to that effect. Still puzzled as to why a reference was made to Office.

Chris

Just wondering---after the delay that you are talking about, does the program eventually install properly? I'm asking because I'm getting ready to get a new flight sim computer, and expect to need to use Windows 10 finally.

Just wondering---after the delay that you are talking about, does the program eventually install properly? I'm asking because I'm getting ready to get a new flight sim computer, and expect to need to use Windows 10 finally.

No. Win 10 is a GENERIC operating system. It does not neccesarily contain everything YOU may need. You will need to research what YOUR OS is going to need, and no-one can tell YOU what!

I can tell you one thing you will need:

MS C++ distributable.

You will also need appropriate drivers for your sound card.

And up-to-date graphic card drivers.

Oh, that's three things to get you started!

I've had the same experience when I upgraded my PC to new MB ,I7 , GTX1050 and SSD500G.

I had FSX Gold and tried to reinstall in WIN10. I Insert DVD1 , Pointed to C:/FSX and almost

immediately 'removing applications' comes up. Fortunately I had read somewhere that patience is needed, in my case about 30 min. I let the CP alone, went to the kitchen to make a coffee did some more things and returned to my pc to see that the bar was moving again. Bit then I ran into the FSX + Acceleration error code 1-80004005> which was solved by checking registry as follows.

1) with regedit, located this entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\CLASS\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

2) edit your UpperFilters key. For FSX and their validatin system, they

expect it only reads "PartMgr". In your case, there is great chance it shows

something more. In my case, it was reading:

GoBack2

PartMgr

SiRemFil

3) change the registry to read only "PartMgr"

After all this I decided to go to FSX Steam which installed and runs perfectly.

regards

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

I've had the same experience when I upgraded my PC to new MB ,I7 , GTX1050 and SSD500G.

I had FSX Gold and tried to reinstall in WIN10. I Insert DVD1 , Pointed to C:/FSX and almost

immediately 'removing applications' comes up. Fortunately I had read somewhere that patience is needed, in my case about 30 min. I let the CP alone, went to the kitchen to make a coffee did some more things and returned to my pc to see that the bar was moving again. Bit then I ran into the FSX + Acceleration error code 1-80004005> which was solved by checking registry as follows.

1) with regedit, located this entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\CLASS\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

2) edit your UpperFilters key. For FSX and their validatin system, they

expect it only reads "PartMgr". In your case, there is great chance it shows

something more. In my case, it was reading:

GoBack2

PartMgr

SiRemFil

3) change the registry to read only "PartMgr"

After all this I decided to go to FSX Steam which installed and runs perfectly.

regards

There is NO installation requiring the renaming of the Registry in a `pure` installatioin of Win 10... Why would one need to rename FSX Steam?

The fsx disk installer runs just fine on Win7 and Win10.

Some people had to do that registry edit to activate the fsx-acceleration update. Was also needed for some people that use Windows7 btw.

For most people fsx accel activated fine and the step wasn't needed.

The installer can take a long time. Again that was true in Win7 as well. Just let the computer work while you go have some tea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]