Falkirk Wheel

I've mentioned the Falkirk Wheel in Scotland a couple of times. It basically moves a 70' long narrow-boat either up or down about a 65' height from one canal in Scotland going North-South to another going East-West or vice-versa.

The "wheel" is said to use less electricity operating than an electric coffee pot. It does it that cheaply because the narrow-boat or narrow-boats displace water in the moving chambers so the weight is always equal whether a boat is in a chamber or not.

On our last trip to Scotland we traveled on it and it's really a cool thing!!

Here are a few shots of the wheel as shown in Scot Flight for ORBX. The airport shown in the first is EGPG Cumbernauld it's just a few miles away and near Loch Ness

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Michael

Edited by Rupert
add info
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Great looking scenery for sure! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fine pics. of the scenery Michael. I had not heard of the Falkirk Wheel before - very interesting. :cool: :cool: :)

Yes it is! ;)

Check out the Wikipedia article and the close ups I took courtesy of Peerhoven Air in my newest posting about it! Molly and I went through it in a canal narrow-boat our last trip to Scotland. We'll probably be up that way again this summer as well.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.